Eberspacher heater

fishfoxey

Visit site
My heater has 3 outlet vents in the 3 cabin spaces, 2 with a vent cover and one open , plus another which is feeding into the engine bay under the cabin floor. Has anyone any ideas as to why there would be one within this compartment. I did wonder if it was an air inlet rather than outlet but if so why would you place it in the engine compartment where you could get noxious fumes sucked in.

paradave

Visit site
It’ll be an inlet. Why would you have noxious fumes In the engine bay? Unless there’s a big problem, it’s fresh air being sucked in via the engine inlet vents.

QBhoy

Visit site
Does it not take air from the space you are hearing and duct it to the inlet of the heater ?

fishfoxey

Visit site
It’ll be an inlet. Why would you have noxious fumes In the engine bay? Unless there’s a big problem, it’s fresh air being sucked in via the engine inlet vents.
Not that I currently have any noxious fumes just that if your looking for guaranteed fresh air why not put it going to the outside rather than near the engine. Unless its a case of having to pull dryer air rather than potentially moist external air.

penberth3

Visit site
Not that I currently have any noxious fumes just that if your looking for guaranteed fresh air why not put it going to the outside rather than near the engine. Unless its a case of having to pull dryer air rather than potentially moist external air.

You have a CO alarm?

bobtooke

Visit site
Are you perhaps looking at the air intake for combustion and not the vent intake? My Eber takes vent air from the main deck area and blows into the cabin vents but take combustion air from the engine space.

fishfoxey

Visit site
Are you perhaps looking at the air intake for combustion and not the vent intake? My Eber takes vent air from the main deck area and blows into the cabin vents but take combustion air from the engine space.
Not sure but the vent runs in line with the pipes for the outlets as far as |I can see

bobtooke

Visit site
Got a picture of the unit?
The air intake for ventilation is connected at one end of the unit (about 75mm dia.).
The air out for warm air to the space is connected at the other end of the unit (about 75mm dia.).
The air intake for combustion goes into the bottom of the unit (about 30mm dia.).

airtronicanim.gif

fishfoxey

Visit site
Got a picture of the unit?
The air intake for ventilation is connected at one end of the unit (about 75mm dia.).
The air out for warm air to the space is connected at the other end of the unit (about 75mm dia.).
The air intake for combustion goes into the bottom of the unit (about 30mm dia.).

View attachment 100926
This pipe is in-line with the hot air outlet about 6ft away from the unit and before the first hot air outlet in the salon

bobtooke

Visit site
This pipe is in-line with the hot air outlet about 6ft away from the unit and before the first hot air outlet in the salon

Sorry buddy but I can't fathom what you mean having not seen it. What size is the pipe in question? Where and how does it connect to the unit?

You need to trace it back to where it connects. That's the only real way to work out what it does.

It could of course be a warm air feed to the engine compartment (frost protection?) but that's not good practice to have it on the same ventilation feed as the cabin.

I still suspect it could be the combustion air feed to the unit.

fishfoxey

Visit site
Sorry buddy but I can't fathom what you mean having not seen it. What size is the pipe in question? Where and how does it connect to the unit?

You need to trace it back to where it connects. That's the only real way to work out what it does.

It could of course be a warm air feed to the engine compartment (frost protection?) but that's not good practice to have it on the same ventilation feed as the cabin.

I'm at the boat 2moz will take pic and post it

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Engine compartments always smell, no matter how new the engine. Ducting air from the engine comp' is totally stupid.

I agree. In theory they should be clean and fresh but in practice they are not in most boats.

fishfoxey

Visit site

Heres a pic of the set up it does run in line from the heater to the vent in the engine bay then on to the first outlet in the cabin

Attachments

• 20201019_200705.jpg
    20201019_200705.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 34

bobtooke

Visit site
It would seem to be a bad place to have a vent. Assuming it's a "blow" not a "suck" (did you check?), possibly the previous owner want frost protection for the engine by putting it there.