East coast stops close to the Thames

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi all, we recently did our first sea trip. From the non tidal Thames up to Burnham on Crouch. Though it was nerve wracking at times, it went well overall and I coped with the navigation (I did my day skipper before).

So, to maintain the knowledge and build confidence we are going to do the same trip next summer. We are using annual leave so can’t go much further north than Burnham. But are there any other places you’d recommend visiting for a novice, on the east coast? For example going a bit further up to the Black Water? We would want to be in a marina at night for the security offered.

Many thanks John

ps i use a motor boat with a cruise speed of 10 knots and a 3 foot draft

RivalRedwing

Visit site
If you've gone out to the Whitaker and then all the way (back) along the ditch to Burnham then in distance terms it is not really any further to go to any of Bradwell, West Mersea, Brightlingsea and Tollesbury. On the south bank the Medway offers a range of options, plenty of information here: Medway and Swale Boating Association

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
If you've gone out to the Whitaker and then all the way (back) along the ditch to Burnham then in distance terms it is not really any further to go to any of Bradwell, West Mersea, Brightlingsea and Tollesbury. On the south bank the Medway offers a range of options, plenty of information here: Medway and Swale Boating Association

And at 10kts, another hour or two gets you to the world of the Orwell/Stour hotspots, even Deben/Alde.

Fjord John

Visit site
Thanks to all who have responded so far. It really helps my planning. No doubt I’ll have more questions when I get the maps out.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Lots of East Coast marinas are very full this summer due to staycation and boats parked up as holiday bases. Also plenty of visiting south coasters. Always worth checking ahead. The distance from Southend Pier to Burnham or Bradwell is the same. the Blackwater is much nicer than the Crouch IMO.

Fjord John

Visit site
Thanks MS, quite a few votes for Blackwater, and as I’ve already navigated as far as I can up the Crouch it would be nice to try somewhere new. So I think I’ll head to the Blackwater next year and start planning for other options nearby too.

Lots of East Coast marinas are very full this summer due to staycation and boats parked up as holiday bases. Also plenty of visiting south coasters. Always worth checking ahead. The distance from Southend Pier to Burnham or Bradwell is the same. the Blackwater is much nicer than the Crouch IMO.

sailorman

Visit site
Hi all, we recently did our first sea trip. From the non tidal Thames up to Burnham on Crouch. Though it was nerve wracking at times, it went well overall and I coped with the navigation (I did my day skipper before).

So, to maintain the knowledge and build confidence we are going to do the same trip next summer. We are using annual leave so can’t go much further north than Burnham. But are there any other places you’d recommend visiting for a novice, on the east coast? For example going a bit further up to the Black Water? We would want to be in a marina at night for the security offered.

Many thanks John

wuwenbro. On sheppy. Shalfleet creel in the mwdqagis a conviensnt anxhoraGe

oldgit

Visit site
Worth considering Queenborough as a useful alternative diversion stop if circumstances change on your way to more distant destinations up the East coast.

Usually the ( ATL) all tide landing is full but its a good safe place for any first attempt to pick up a visitor bouy. Not quite Marina morning but close if F3-4 push comes to F5 shove.
Recent constant Easterlies have been a problem , fine, if you are tucked up in one of the rivers ie. The Deben, but not so nice transiting the coast.

Reasonably sheltered from most directions and a trot boat to get you ashore to the delights of Queenborough.
IMHO mooring in Stangate or Sharfleet, while lovely safe and secure anchorages, will only be for those , who for the time being , do not still need the reassuring glow of pontoon walkway night right outside the cabin window when they wake up yet again at 02.30. :)
Queenborough Harbour

Last edited:

Fjord John

Visit site
Thanks OG. Great insights into that route and extra safe moorings are top of our list being newbies. So thanks for the tip re Queensborough.

I just had a look at the Windfinder App which I used on our last trip and can see the next 2 weeks (we are going next year but still of interest now) are almost all easterlies as you say. Is this a trend through the year? We had an easterly against tide coming out of burnham which made it quite interesting when we turned to starboard to head to London. It was brief but quite rolly on a displacement boat. Want to avoid that experience next time! John

Worth considering Queenborough as a useful alternative diversion stop if circumstances change on your way to more distant destinations up the East coast.

Usually the ( ATL) all tide landing is full but its a good safe place for any first attempt to pick up a visitor bouy. Not quite Marina morning but close if F3-4 push comes to F5 shove.
Recent constant Easterlies have been a problem , fine, if you are tucked up in one of the rivers ie. The Deben, but not so nice transiting the coast.

Reasonably sheltered from most directions and a trot boat to get you ashore to the delights of Queenborough.
IMHO mooring in Stangate or Sharfleet, while lovely safe and secure anchorages, will only be for those , who for the time being , do not still need the reassuring glow of pontoon walkway night right outside the cabin window when they wake up yet again at 02.30. :)
Queenborough Harbour

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi folks, what’s the best route to Bradwell marina (Blackwater) coming from the Thames? when I went to the crouch last time I came up the East Swin, so I’m really asking how I get to the blackwater from there. Do I cut between buxey sand and gunfleet sand? My draft is 0.7m. Thanks

nortada

Visit site

Many thanks John

How long off have you got and what time of the year?

As you on are in power (10kts), weather (wind) should not be such a constraint and you should be able better progress than most sailboats.

Have you thought of extending your experience with a bit of night travel?

During June/July the hours of darkness are short and if possible, a good moon can make it almost like day. If you go for a night passage, I would aim to arrive just after dawn. Night departures are easy but arrivals during the hours of darkness can be very stressful.

Looking at possible passages, I would coast hop to Harwich Bay (The Walton Backwaters, Stour, Orwell and Deben) but then aim to make a faster return passage home. Because of weather etc. my philosophy has always been slow out/fast back but leave enough time for the return so that it doesn’t become a race against the clock. Bad forecasts - turn back early. If caught out, another option is to leave the boat in a safe haven, return home (work) and then recover the boat when possible. In the past we have holed up in Woodbridge and Brightlingsea and gone back for the boat the next weekend.

As opposed to marinas, how do you feel about anchoring?

There are a number of good safe anchorages between the Thames and Woodbridge; plus an number of locations with free buoyage, which can significantly reduce the cost of your trip.

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site
IMHO, give Bradwell a miss. There is pretty much nothing there. I would go to Brightlingsea instead, mid river pontoon and not the marina, or if you are feeling adventurous, head up to Maldon and dry out in the soft mud on the town quay pontoon.
We think Bradwell is an OK stopover. Nice walking, another pub and a good village shop in Bradwell village itself. The old chapel, a longer walk but well worth it.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
We think Bradwell is an OK stopover. Nice walking, another pub and a good village shop in Bradwell village itself. The old chapel, a longer walk but well worth it.

I guess if you like walking and peace and quiet it’s a worthwhile stop. I don’t rate the green man, that everyone raves about, it’s just a very average pub.

I prefer a stop with a town and a choice of eateries and drinkeries. But each to their own.

johnalison

Visit site
If a trip from the Thames to Burnham at 10 knots was nerve-wracking, there seems to have been something wrong. Barring emergencies, such as an engine failure or crew illness, no passage should be anything other than enjoyable, or at least tolerable. It sounds as if you need to build up your skills and confidence in familiar waters for a year or two before challenging yourself, and maybe the family.

tillergirl

Visit site
From Sea Reach No 1 to the River Blackwater (just off Sales Point i.e. 1.63nm short of Bradwell Marina) @ 10 knots would take you a predicted 2 hrs 24 minutes (on Spring Tides - 2 hrs 27 minutes on Neaps if you want to be pedantic) if you time departing at Sea Reach No 1, 3 hours after HW Sheerness. Worst predicted time is 2 hrs 49 minutes departing at Sea Reach No 1, 2 hours before HW Sheerness. At 0.7m draft no worries about the Spitway. You would arrive at LWS for the Bradwell entrance - you might churn a peck of mud bet. red cans 1 and 3. Would be a useful task please (y). Seriously you might just touch. But it is nice soft mud and will soon lift you off.

Chartlet of Spitway is available at Downloads - third item down. Up to date July 2021 (and one of Bradwell Creek)

Last edited:

MoodySabre

Visit site
I guess if you like walking and peace and quiet it’s a worthwhile stop. I don’t rate the green man, that everyone raves about, it’s just a very average pub.

I prefer a stop with a town and a choice of eateries and drinkeries. But each to their own.
The marina bar is now a restaurant run by a chef. Excellent food and beer. Interior much improved. The KIngs Head in Bradwell village is also nice. Assuming the OP is having a cruise then Brighlingsea, Bradwell, West Mersea and Heybridge should be on his list.