Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doge

Visit site
It is very rare that a film is as good as the book. But they might be good in their own right.
Your talk of 'image' makes me think of Portnoy's Complaint... He was dating a girl he called 'the monkey' and she said that she kept a book visible in her tote bag so she looked intelligent... saying "It's a real book, no pictures."
She did have other talents.

You realy do need to get out on a sailing boat soon, your other experiences do not necessarily apply to sailing.

But I do admire (sort of..) your absolute confidence in your ability to do something you have no experience with, but sounds what you would like to do.
No experience with bitcoin, but have a healthy respect for gambling...
This thread is all over the place. First my idea is doable, then its a terrible idea, then I absolutely must buy a boat now, and now I absolutely must not buy a boat until I'm sure I wont get seasick.

Doge

Visit site
I work as a software engineer 'in blockchain', have a boat and am accustomed to the company of crazy nerds. I'd take you out but she's up on the hard for a few more weeks. Should be back in by winter.
Hopefully BTC will hit a new all time high very soon. :)

Kelpie

Visit site
This thread is all over the place. First my idea is doable, then its a terrible idea, then I absolutely must buy a boat now, and now I absolutely must not buy a boat until I'm sure I wont get seasick.
Have you taken any concrete steps towards your plan? E.g. crewed at a club, booked a course?

Doge

Visit site
Have you taken any concrete steps towards your plan? E.g. crewed at a club, booked a course?
No I'm not doing any of that. Right now I'm arranging my finances with the intention of buying a boat next spring. I can learn to sail without too much difficulty as per the first page or so of this thread and youtubers who did what I plan to do. My plan is nicely on track. Unless there's an unexpected market crash it should all go according to my schedule.

Kelpie

Visit site
If you told us where you're based you might find a forumite willing to take you for a wee spin. You might even enjoy it!

Laser310

Visit site
No I'm not doing any of that. Right now I'm arranging my finances with the intention of buying a boat next spring. I can learn to sail without too much difficulty as per the first page or so of this thread and youtubers who did what I plan to do. My plan is nicely on track. Unless there's an unexpected market crash it should all go according to my schedule.

funny thread...

anyway - for your plan.., finances are not the hard part..., it's the easiest part.

but the thread is getting a bit boring and you could extend the entertainment a bit if you were to go to a yacht club, or marina, or whatever.., and talk your way on to a small sailboat as crew for a day or a few.

then get back to us with your impressions.

I'm pretty sure you would report back that you believe you have learned all you need to learn to sail to patagonia.., but maybe a few things would surprise you...

cherod

Visit site
good on ya Dogie ,, learn as you go ,, ( looks like that might be sooner than you think (y)(y) , bitcoin 46.7 today ) thousands ( many ) sailed all over the world before the yellow vests came out with their ( money spining ) training courses .
btw,, you can come for a spin on my cat any time you want , after the winter ,, you might even like it ?

cherod

Visit site
the money is the hard part , sailing is easy , you probabably could extend your entertainment by visiting a yot club and listening to bunch of boring farts yadey dyeing , but not for long .;)

DownWest

Visit site
To missquote Groucho (or his script writers), I wouldn't want to be a member of any sailing club that would let me join.

Still, nothing like planning your future on a guess...reminds me of bitcoin....

What was the line from Pride & Prejudice by Lady Catherine de Bourg ? 'I am sure I would extremely proficient at the piano, if I had ever tried to learn)

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
I don't think that you are really listening( or don't care to). The best advice is to give things a try by crewing or, taking a course. Watching vids of derring do, does not cut it. But you seem to be above it all with your plans. Good luck, I am out of this, as I just collected a nice boat to tidy up.
If you do go ahead, maybe I will miss the bit in the papers where it all goes wrong, maybe not.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think this entire thread is just a sad attempt by a bitcoin hustler to pump his investment.
The OP seems more interested in talking about that than listening to what anyone says about sailing.
I disagree I think the whole thread is just attention seek and should had been shut down long Go .
Many useful thread have been shut or delated because someone taken dislike to them and this for some reason is still running.

Doge

Visit site
I disagree I think the whole thread is just attention seek and should had been shut down long Go .
Many useful thread have been shut or delated because someone taken dislike to them and this for some reason is still running.
Well you're both wrong. While I've never been on a sailboat before I've been on other boats. I once rowed the length of Windermere in a small inflaitable. Passanger boats kept coming near me thinking I must be crazy. But I knew I was a strong enough swimmer having cut my teeth in the North Sea. People buy boats without experience and learn to sail without half the experience in and around water that I have.

Doge

Visit site
This really is my last comment, but if you are so good on the water, why have you not even tried sailing before betting the farm on it?
I dunno really. I guess its because nobody in my family was into it of knew about it. We always tended to have static caravans. Ours was at Bridlington. It's the same with fishing. I got into that pretty late too just because some Japanese friends invited me one time. I actually cought quite a big catfish on my first trip. I still can't figure out how I never thought of doing that before and the same applies to sailing I think. I really should have thought of this before now.

Kelpie

Visit site
Are you not even slightly tempted to buy something like a Mirror just for a laugh and see whether you like sailing? Wind awareness, sail trim, handling a small boat (you will have a tender, won't you?) all useful and transferable skills. You'll get something useable for about £300 and can sell it when you're done, or even keep it as a tender of that seems viable (unlikely for the size of yacht you're taking about).

Doge

Visit site
Are you not even slightly tempted to buy something like a Mirror just for a laugh and see whether you like sailing? Wind awareness, sail trim, handling a small boat (you will have a tender, won't you?) all useful and transferable skills. You'll get something useable for about £300 and can sell it when you're done, or even keep it as a tender of that seems viable (unlikely for the size of yacht you're taking about).
I could also sell the sailboat. It wouldn't be the end of the world. When I buy the boat I'll move to the coast and live on it. In order to do as you suggest I'd have to move to the coast and rent somewhere while I practiced on a tender. It wouldn't really be economical.

If it doesn't work out I'll either buy a canal boat or maybe take the mast down and sail it up a river to a lake or something.

Kelpie

Visit site
I could also sell the sailboat. It wouldn't be the end of the world. When I buy the boat I'll move to the coast and live on it. In order to do as you suggest I'd have to move to the coast and rent somewhere while I practiced on a tender. It wouldn't really be economical.

If it doesn't work out I'll either buy a canal boat or maybe take the mast down and sail it up a river to a lake or something.

Ah ok if you don't have access to somewhere that you can launch a boat, yeah I see why my idea doesn't appeal.
Whereabouts are you based, by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.