Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doge

Visit site
The second sentence worries me more than the first. Podcasts are a great alternative if you dislike reading.

I've never understood fishing other than being a way of obtaining food. We used to trail some feathers behind us most of the time but after an entire season of catching nothing except seaweed we gave up.
I would much rather read a book ?
Yeah I hate reading books. Few people are willing to say that because its associated with intellectualism. 100 years ago fair enough but now its just low bandwidth. Maybe I'll just chill and learn to smoke a pipe.

Kelpie

Visit site
Yeah I hate reading books. Few people are willing to say that because its associated with intellectualism. 100 years ago fair enough but now its just low bandwidth. Maybe I'll just chill and learn to smoke a pipe.
I find it a strange statement. Do you mean a specific type of book? I mean, you are presumably reading this, of your own volition, so it's not as though the act of reading itself is totally off-putting to you.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I went on some ferry crossings on school trips. Others were seasick while I never was even slightly. I *love* roller coasters. The last time I was at Alton Towers I found that as it was closing the single rider que on the smiler consisted of about three people so ran round and round about ten times. Feeling sick was just never part of the equation. Having said that I do feel sick if i try to read in a car. But from what I understand that has more to do with the eyes not seeing what the body is feeling and the body misinterpreting it as poisoning. It's not severe sickness and I dislike reading anyway.

I'm comfortable in my own company. I often go fishing by myself and thoroughly enjoy it.

Being without internet would be a bit of a pain. But starlink is coming and I don't generally check my phone when I'm out fishing by myself anyway. For me there's just something about being surrounded by nature that satisfies the mind. Fishing makes a lot more sense to natural human feelings than getting up and going to work. Seems to have an obvious evolutionary basis. I can fish as much as I want from a boat.
Your comments on seasickness are a start, but I really think you're being a little naive about how debilitating and dangerous the condition can be. I've sailed multiple thousands of miles across oceans and around the coast and I freely confess to sometimes having been really sick the first day or so. However I've never been sick on a ferry or on a warship. The motion and experience on a small boat is very different. The good news is that for 99+% of people seasickness wears off. It's the period while you want to die and realise that you're not going to die that's really dangerous. This period also coincides with the bit of an ocean passage where you are still relatively close to the land and there's a higher density of shipping and fishing boats to watch out for.

The loneliness of long distance sailing in a small boat bears little resemblance to having a days fishing by yourself.

I'm not knocking your enthusiasm and determination; just trying to help you realise the potential problems you'll have to overcome.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Seriously book yourself on a competent crew course somewhere with a bit of wind, week on a boat with hopefully enthusiastic others and the knowledge of the skipper first hand. I am taking potential ..long term crew out to the Canaries this January as we discovered she gets sick as a dog in tidal chop, and I would like to build up her confidence. 700 quid per person per week. I seem to have a reasonable stomach, but you really don't know how it is going to effect you until you have been in particular conditions, it is more a question of when you get seasick rather than if.

Doge

Visit site
I find it a strange statement. Do you mean a specific type of book? I mean, you are presumably reading this, of your own volition, so it's not as though the act of reading itself is totally off-putting to you.
Well yeah but with the internet you can get to the information you want very quickly. Its better than books. As for novels, films are clearly better. I realise some people genuinely like reading books but I'm not one of them. Some people just do it because they like the image. It's like wearing glasses. It's associated with intellectualism because at one time only the wealthy could afford glasses and they were often used for reading. Now the wealthy can get laser surgery so glasses should be associated with poverty. It takes a while for the cultural connotations to catch up with reality.

I have a collection of SNES rpgs on my phone. Those will keep me occupied if I get bored.

Doge

Visit site
Your comments on seasickness are a start, but I really think you're being a little naive about how debilitating and dangerous the condition can be. I've sailed multiple thousands of miles across oceans and around the coast and I freely confess to sometimes having been really sick the first day or so. However I've never been sick on a ferry or on a warship. The motion and experience on a small boat is very different. The good news is that for 99+% of people seasickness wears off. It's the period while you want to die and realise that you're not going to die that's really dangerous. This period also coincides with the bit of an ocean passage where you are still relatively close to the land and there's a higher density of shipping and fishing boats to watch out for.

The loneliness of long distance sailing in a small boat bears little resemblance to having a days fishing by yourself.

I'm not knocking your enthusiasm and determination; just trying to help you realise the potential problems you'll have to overcome.
Well if I get seasick I'll just force myself to overcome it. But I've no reason to think I will. I've never felt sick due to motion before unless I tried to read.

Doge

Visit site
If only it were so easy! It can be completely incapacitating. Famously Nelson suffered badly with seasickness.
Surprised he mentioned it.

Anyway as I say I've never suffered sickness due to motion whilst people around me often have. I was the asshole that thought it funny to stand in font of seasick girls on school trips rocking from side to side. I wouldn't fancy my chances at altitude but motion has never affected me on roller coasters and other things with more motion than sailing. I spent hours on inflatable dinghies riding waves.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
I fully support the OP. My aunt Gladys (a formidable woman) had a caravan in Morecambe and I have never suffered from seasickness. Like a duck to water it was

As for smarty pants reading stuff, they deserve all they get in the digestion department. Which is best Cutlass or Vega? Just take a bitcoin out and toss up for it, both will do the job. Tomorrow Cape Horn.☔

Kelpie

Visit site
Well yeah but with the internet you can get to the information you want very quickly. Its better than books. As for novels, films are clearly better. I realise some people genuinely like reading books but I'm not one of them. Some people just do it because they like the image. It's like wearing glasses. It's associated with intellectualism because at one time only the wealthy could afford glasses and they were often used for reading. Now the wealthy can get laser surgery so glasses should be associated with poverty. It takes a while for the cultural connotations to catch up with reality.

I have a collection of SNES rpgs on my phone. Those will keep me occupied if I get bored.

That's a very strange argument indeed.
Occasionally a novel will be outdone by the film version. But usually fans of the book moan about how much has been chopped out, how the characters and themes have been simplified and dumbed down. You can't tell a really good story in an hour and a half. A good novel needs to be turned in to something more like a box set.

And then some great stories never get made in to films. E.g. the last book I read was "Three ways to capsize a boat" which I defy anybody not to enjoy.

Anyway I was going to suggest you take a guitar with you to help with the boredom, but presumably playing music is just a cultural hangover from the days before affordable sound reproduction, and anybody who does it is only interested in the image?

Doge

Visit site
That's a very strange argument indeed.
Occasionally a novel will be outdone by the film version. But usually fans of the book moan about how much has been chopped out, how the characters and themes have been simplified and dumbed down. You can't tell a really good story in an hour and a half. A good novel needs to be turned in to something more like a box set.

And then some great stories never get made in to films. E.g. the last book I read was "Three ways to capsize a boat" which I defy anybody not to enjoy.

Anyway I was going to suggest you take a guitar with you to help with the boredom, but presumably playing music is just a cultural hangover from the days before affordable sound reproduction, and anybody who does it is only interested in the image?
I don't mean that anybody who reads a book is just doing it for the image. What I mean is that people who don't enjoy reading books don't generally admit it because of the image. A film can convey far more information more effectively. As a medium of communication video is better. Where a book takes lines of writing to describe a setting, a persons facial expression, a persons manner etc; a film can do these in an instant without slowing down the narrative at all.

Kelpie

Visit site
I don't mean that anybody who reads a book is just doing it for the image. What I mean is that people who don't enjoy reading books don't generally admit it because of the image. A film can convey far more information more effectively. As a medium of communication video is better. Where a book takes lines of writing to describe a setting, a persons facial expression, a persons manner etc; a film can do these in an instant without slowing down the narrative at all.
On the other hand a film/video moves at a predetermined pace. You cannot easily skim a video. I don't think it's entirely true that the written word always conveys less information in a set period of time.

DownWest

Visit site
It is very rare that a film is as good as the book. But they might be good in their own right.
Your talk of 'image' makes me think of Portnoy's Complaint... He was dating a girl he called 'the monkey' and she said that she kept a book visible in her tote bag so she looked intelligent... saying "It's a real book, no pictures."
She did have other talents.

You realy do need to get out on a sailing boat soon, your other experiences do not necessarily apply to sailing.

But I do admire (sort of..) your absolute confidence in your ability to do something you have no experience with, but sounds what you would like to do.
No experience with bitcoin, but have a healthy respect for gambling...

Last edited:

ryanroberts

Visit site
I work as a software engineer 'in blockchain', have a boat and am accustomed to the company of crazy nerds. I'd take you out but she's up on the hard for a few more weeks. Should be back in by winter.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Anyway I read you need to pump the head 10 times for every meter of pipe our pipe happen to be 14 mts long , so that's 140 pumps,
The problem I am finding Is now it's getting a bit chilly by the time I have pumped 140 pumps I need to go again ,
Do the member here think it be OK to just pump just 5 pumps rather then 10 ,
in turn will cut the amount of time in the heads by half,
Stoping the cold get to my bladder and needed to start the whole procedure again .
I suppose the other option is to use a bucket and chuck it ,like the old days .

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Anyway I read you need to pump the head 10 times for every meter of pipe our pipe happen to be 14 mts long , so that's 140 pumps,
The problem I am finding Is now it's getting a bit chilly by the time I have pumped 140 pumps I need to go again ,
Do the member here think it be OK to just pump just 5 pumps rather then 10 ,
in turn will cut the amount of time in the heads by half,
Stoping the cold get to my bladder and needed to start the whole procedure again .
I suppose the other option is to use a bucket and chuck it ,like the old days .
In 2019 I was pulled over by Greek PP who enquired about my holding tank. I was given a form to declare the capacity of my tank in cubic meters. I filled in 0.0001 cubic meters and handed it in to PP office in Preveza. They would not accept it and implied I was taking the Mickey. I was told to enter at least 1 cubic meters. I am not Joking. The new form was accompanied with a letter from the PP boss signed over their stamp laying out the large fine and possible prison sentance for discharging ANY waste into Greek waters. I still have the forms because I sneaked out of the office. This was pure stupidity. 1 cubic meter of wate is impossible on a yacht and must weigh at least one ton. What penalty for incorrect declaration so I legged it out of their office. Honest to God, difficult to believe. BTW I was sailing a Moody 34. They knew this because naturally I had to show the Depka and tax thingy at the same time.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In 2019 I was pulled over by Greek PP who enquired about my holding tank. I was given a form to declare the capacity of my tank in cubic meters. I filled in 0.0001 cubic meters and handed it in to PP office in Preveza. They would not accept it and implied I was taking the Mickey. I was told to enter at least 1 cubic meters. I am not Joking. The new form was accompanied with a letter from the PP boss signed over their stamp laying out the large fine and possible prison sentance for discharging ANY waste into Greek waters. I still have the forms because I sneaked out of the office. This was pure stupidity. 1 cubic meter of wate is impossible on a yacht and must weigh at least one ton. What penalty for incorrect declaration so I legged it out of their office. Honest to God, difficult to believe. BTW I was sailing a Moody 34. They knew this because naturally I had to show the Depka and tax thingy at the same time.
Interesting but how does it help me with the amount of time I need to pump .
Reply quickly please as now on my 102 pump for the third time and desperate need another pee and it not helping post this to you ,
Sorry must go I can feel it's about to leak

BurnitBlue

Visit site
God that was close .......
I only got to 125 pump last time , do I need to add and extra 15 pumps now or will the 140 pumps be fine ?

( No honey I don't want a cup of tea )
125 pumps into your yachty holding tank will cause an explosion. Maybe PP have a point in expecting a holding tank to be at least 1 cubic meter. I am surprised that sailor of your experience needed to be warned. Please pay attention.

When will this thread discuss anchor choice.? Are we saving the best discussion for last?

Later reflection. Before we discuss anchor choice, how about a self contained machine to make a "Chip Butty". A Nobel prize for culinary excellence awaits. Two month in Greece and the dreams about what food I miss is disturbing my sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.