Berthing West Coast Scotland

G

Plan to leave Cadenza in on the West Coast for a few months next season - between April and August. We'd visit for periodically for weeks and the odd long weekend from London.

Can anyone with experience of commuting to the West Coast advise where to berth her? I know Dunstaffnage and Croabh Haven. Can anyone speak to Ardfern and there anywhere better which is accessible for a long weekend?

scottie

Visit site
try troon if you want to use ryanaire to prestwick
it is not as far north but it does have an airport with very cheap flights from stanstead other option is kip

you could spend several week ends exploring the clyde and move north later

claymore

Visit site
I travel 5 hours from NW England to Kilmelfort Yacht Haven. Its cheaper than Craobh and similar to Ardfern (Moorings). The advantage over Ardfern is that you don't have the tidal gate of Dorus Mor. You might think about the train to Oban and leave her at Kerrera (Oban Yachts). The Water Taxi is excellent and part of the service. I don't know what the price is but obviously the longer you stay the better the deal you will get. Croabh is probably the most expensive but you would be on a pontoon - hope this helps - if you want to discus further, send me a private message
regards,
John S.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
The Clyde (South - Troon, Ardrossan, Largs) is certainly MUCH nearer to London for a long weekend - Oban is nearly 3 hours further by car than Largs. However, you cannot just 'pop out' of the Clyde - it's a minimum 24 hours round the Mull or through Crinan to get North. If you were planning quite a few long weekends then this might be the best option, on the understanding that you had a long haul to get out of the Clyde when you wanted to go further afield to the NW.

If you must be on the W. coast proper, then Craobh, Ardfern and Loch Melfort are nearer than Oban (Kerrera, Dunstaffnage or Ardoran Marine in Loch Feochan). However, it depends in which direction you want to go from here. There is the tidal gate of Luing Sound to consider, which limits the freedom to head North at short notice. Craobh is more convenient than Ardfern, which involves a long trip in the wrong direction down Loch Craignish before being able to turn North, while Loch Melfort offers the option of Cuan Sound, a substantial shortcut.

Dunstaffnage marina has friendly staff and good facilities, and would be my choice for convenience in or around Oban - Kerrera is good but you do have to fit in with the times of the water taxi, while Ardoran or Creran Moorings require a dinghy trip. The advantage of an Oban location is the absense of tidal gates if you want to nip up the Sound of Mull.

Have a look at http://www.bluemoment.com/marinasscotland.html for links to more info on the area.

- Nick

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Heard good things about Ardfern from a Swedish sailor who's had his boat there for last winter and I think also this one.
I had chosen the Clyde area for it's better access with Ryan to Prestwick.
My boat now is at Clyde Marina in Ardrossan. So far very satisfied. Very well sheltered harbour, great marina staff, dull village.

Other threads that may be of interest