Are TP52's now the pinnacle of old school yacht racing

Laser310

Visit site
sure - but if you look at where rest of the fleet is when Q rounds the leeward mark.., it seems some are 1/2 mile behind

I'm sure some are close too, but it seems the high skill level exhibited by Q may not be pervasive in the fleet.

ifoxwell

Visit site
Yup love the gybe, the way the spinnaker comes through and pops before the main and is then instantly driving. And i dont know just how big that kite is but it disappears in just a couple of seconds!

And your right re the crew. I love the way they count down the tack 3,2,1.... and no one moves until they get to zero and its still executed perfectly.

dunedin

Visit site
Incredible how narrow the sheeting angle is on the jib - scarcely more than 3-4 mast widths.

In terms of the OP’s question these TP52’s must be a good candidate for ultimate (lead mine) racing pinnacle, along with the RC44’s. But my votes might be for a brace of Js:
- for ultimate spectacle - a fleet of 7 J-Class yachts - the sheer presence as they slip close past, and the incredible noise of the protesting carbon and dyneema during manoeuvres; and
- for ultimate competitiveness - the international J70 championships - big fleets of identical boats, with most crewed by top professionals and Olympians yet also the “corinthians“ able to race on level terms against them for relatively low cost.

DFL1010

Visit site
Were my eyes deceiving me or was the starboard jib winch anti-clockwise? I have had crew who would be ideal for that side of the boat!

Not atypical. Means that the boats have reflective symmetry wrt loads and leads and stuff.