Anyone using a Washing Machine from an Invertor?

MBullock

Visit site
Hi,
Our Genny has just gone bump and I'm deciding whether I *need* another or to go with an alternative power plan for the boat. One of the things we will be fitting in the near future is a washing machine. Just a plain bog std one from the nearest shop. So, is anyone running one from an Invertor, is so what's the max amp draw that you see whilst running it? I can see that most washing machines are quoted at ~1300W/240V but I presume that the most draw is just whilst they heat water and not for the entire cycle. If you have an idea of the typical amps drawn for a cycle that would be great!!

thanks, Malc

sailorman

Visit site
Hi,
Our Genny has just gone bump and I'm deciding whether I *need* another or to go with an alternative power plan for the boat. One of the things we will be fitting in the near future is a washing machine. Just a plain bog std one from the nearest shop. So, is anyone running one from an Invertor, is so what's the max amp draw that you see whilst running it? I can see that most washing machines are quoted at ~1300W/240V but I presume that the most draw is just whilst they heat water and not for the entire cycle. If you have an idea of the typical amps drawn for a cycle that would be great!!

thanks, Malc

it will consume a lot of pwr to heat the water from batteries

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Hi,

thanks, Malc

Don't even go there!! :eek:

I am just re-installing my pure sine-wave 1kW inverter and it states that it draws 114 Amps at 10-15 volts for 1kWatt continuous!

ccscott49

Visit site
Sorry, but running a washing machine form an inverter is a no, no. Unless! you are running a large alternator on your engine at the same time, one in the region of 150 amps output.

MBullock

Visit site
Yep - thanks. Hence asking for those that have done it :) I've seen a few people commenting they do. So, 1000W would be ~84amps at 12v which isn't hugely bad for a short time. On a previous boat I ran the water heater from an Invertor, using just an uprated Alternator to keep the batteries happy. It was on the limit but worked fine. On the current boat we've a Victron pure sine wave Invertor correctly wired into a big battery bank so it's feasible, but probably not desirable (hence the question!). Given that the Genny is dead I'll 'test' the Invertor and load at the weekend when SHMBO tries to use her hair dryer! :rolleyes:

MBullock

Visit site
Sorry, but running a washing machine form an inverter is a no, no. Unless! you are running a large alternator on your engine at the same time, one in the region of 150 amps output.

Thanks. I suppose if someone knew the current draw profile of a typical household washer it would help.

As I've said I think I'm flying a kite, and I also think (well KNOW) that SHMBO will want another Generator - I'm just thinking of saving 100+KGs weight from my stern but to be fair the last one got daily usage....:(

Visit site
Of course it can be done but you have to size the inverter and the battery bank to be able to cope. If the hot water comes from a calorifier that has already been heated by the engine then not much battery power will be needed to raise the water to the right temperature.

We happily run our 12,000 BTU air con from the batteries for a couple of hours.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
We run the genny (or engine if we're heading somewhere) whilst the washing machine is heating the water and then run the rest of the cycle off the inverter.

grumpygit

Visit site
Hi,

thanks, Malc

We manage fine. Using a Victron 3000w inverter, our machine has a 1000w water element which is not on long for a 30 deg wash. We do a wash if we are motoring or motorsailing and make water at the same time.
We are 24 volt though, so half the amps, if your 12 volt system can cope, crack on?

ccscott49

Visit site
Thanks. I suppose if someone knew the current draw profile of a typical household washer it would help.

As I've said I think I'm flying a kite, and I also think (well KNOW) that SHMBO will want another Generator - I'm just thinking of saving 100+KGs weight from my stern but to be fair the last one got daily usage....:(

Our generator runs almost everyday whilst cruising, we are 24v I run a 3.5kw inverter and 1.6kw inverter, with crossover switch, so we only ever run one at a time. I use the big inverter to run our watermaker and washing machine, when motor sailing or motoring, we have a 150 amp 24v alternator and 500ah battery bank. The smaller inverter runs fridge and freezer the rest of the time.

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
Our generator runs almost everyday whilst cruising, we are 24v I run a 3.5kw inverter and 1.6kw inverter, with crossover switch, so we only ever run one at a time. I use the big inverter to run our watermaker and washing machine, when motor sailing or motoring, we have a 150 amp 24v alternator and 500ah battery bank. The smaller inverter runs fridge and freezer the rest of the time.

I think you must drill for your OWN oil every time you are at anchor in Englander!

Chas

ccscott49

Visit site
I think you must drill for your OWN oil every time you are at anchor in Englander!

Chas

I have my own refinery aboard Chas, thought you knew that! Fairly obvious with that big flare above the boat all the time! Plus of course I tow a dumb barge with a solar array on it.

jc1

Visit site
I dont have the current draw number to hand, but we have run a standard French Brandt washing machine successfully with the engine on (only when shore power unavailable). We have a Mastervolt 12/130A alternator as well as the engine's standard 80A Hitachi alternator feeding a 520A house bank. The inverter is a Victron Phoenix Multi Plus 12/3000/120 (3KW). We find the key thing is to ensure hot water from the calorifier feeds directly from the start of the wash cycle, so we run a tap on the same hot water circuit until it becomes hot before we switch on the machine. We use a thermostic mixer valve (TMV) to control the feed water temperature to the single intake pipe that most machines have these days. We also take the precaution of switching off all unnecessary kit (e.g. fridge) while the machine is on. The voltage does drop for parts of the cycle but never below 12v.

theguerns

Visit site
washing machines

Hi we live aboard full time and found in the begening that the laundry was the biggest expense we had (if you want to stay clean) so we bought a Mini wash 100 its got a motor in the lid and is all plastic with a 450watt motor. Its a bit like a top loader but takes a 6 kilo load and has a timer up to 10 mins. put in 12 lts of hot or cold water and some liquid washing product and fill with cloths wash for 10 mins then put in our Creda gravity spindryer 450 watts and put the water back in the washing machine then rinse in the sink and do the same.
We spend 1 hr every 5 days to do 5 loads for a cost of pence. so far in the 6 years we have had it it has done about 1780 loads with no probs. I run ours off the genny at anchor or shore power in the marinas but being so low in watts an inverter would handle it with no problems. If you are interested in this type of machine have a look on our blog where you will find a pic and the address of where to buy it.
theguerns.blogspot.com

Gumpy

Visit site
The thing that nobody has mentioned is that to save power do all your washing on a cold wash (with the correct low temp liquid) then the power is cut down to about 350-400w easily manageable.
We have a washer/dryer and run it on the inverter when the engine is on never been a problem in 10 years. The other secret is to choose a machine that allows you to set the temperature independently of the program so you can run a long program (2 or 4) as a cold wash

MBullock

Visit site
Thanks

Just wanted the thank everyone for their replies. As I suspected it can be done, albeit carefully. Ordered a replacement generator today... But this has been an interesting lesson in having ample sources of charging. We're still a few years off shipping out but food for thought as I get the boat ready for 'not coming back!'
Thanks, malc

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
We've been using one of these for several years now from inverter, mains and genny. great piece of kit. See:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKOc2s5czPsThey now make a new version which has a larger wash tub and I understand, an electric pump to pump out so it doesn't need to be on a worktop above sink height to empty so can stand on the floor . See:-http://www.amazon.co.uk/PORTABLE-WASHING-MACHINE-ELECTRIC-DRAINAGE/dp/B004NCNQA2

However, this one seems to be able to survive the average American's lack of mechanical sympathy very well! (camera technique needs some work too.) See:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=BWnnVi0HHeI

Chas

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site
Yep - thanks. Hence asking for those that have done it :) I've seen a few people commenting they do. So, 1000W would be ~84amps at 12v which isn't hugely bad for a short time. On a previous boat I ran the water heater from an Invertor, using just an uprated Alternator to keep the batteries happy. It was on the limit but worked fine. On the current boat we've a Victron pure sine wave Invertor correctly wired into a big battery bank so it's feasible, but probably not desirable (hence the question!). Given that the Genny is dead I'll 'test' the Invertor and load at the weekend when SHMBO tries to use her hair dryer! :rolleyes:
You're making an assumption that an inverter has no loss - this is dangerous - as already pointed out 1kW requires an input of 114amps @ 12.5v - not the 84amps you are assuming.
The inverter route is not a very sensible one for large ac currents; enormous squandering of power.

Visit site
You're making an assumption that an inverter has no loss - this is dangerous - as already pointed out 1kW requires an input of 114amps @ 12.5v - not the 84amps you are assuming.
The inverter route is not a very sensible one for large ac currents; enormous squandering of power.
95% efficiency from my Victron inverter seems quite good to me!!!!

Factor in the greater efficiency from my DC genny over an AC genny and a DC solution without an AC genny is a better option.

ffiill

Visit site
Problem is that most new washing machines only have a single water supply pipe.
Not only are they fussy about the input temperature but also pressure.They do not like hot water and neither will they operate if input pressure is too low.
They therefore demand cold water domestic pressure and then programme switches onboard immersion heater coil which surrounds the drum and heats the water to desired temperature.
A small generator let alone inverter will just switch out-bigger systems maybe.
I know this from experience at home where we suffer intermittent power supply problems and where we produce a lot of hot water which I would prefer machine would use.I have tried to set it up hot water lower pressure but it will not play ball.
Older machines with hot and cold inlets could be persuaded to work on a hot stand alone quite low pressure supply. In such circs. the machine would operate on pre heated hot water without using the immersion heater all be it turning my wifes"delicates" brown and "woollens "into felted jumpers suitable for children!