Anti freeze for Perkins M30/Volvo 2030

38mess

Visit site
Hi, I have just changed the hoses on my Perkins perama, I'm not sure of the correct type of antifreeze to use, I realise they have different types of additives which will not suit older engines

Refueler

Visit site
The main point to consider is the metals used in the heat exchanger and engine itself.

It used to be that AF was suited to Cast Iron ... or ... Alloy ... etc. and often not both. Later Universal AF's were developed to resolve this, but as with all products - not all manufacturers of the AF followed same pattern. The additives used to maintain the AF ... to inhibit corrosion ... even the colourant - can be intolerant of another brand. The quality of the MEG can affect the use - some really cheap AF use reclaimed MEG mixed in with virgin ... some in fact do not use MEG.
Therefore it is not recc'd to mix BRANDS of AF but you can use non proprietary label AF as long as its suitable for the engine / heat exchanger you have or Universal for your engine., just do not mix it with other.
I would suggest staying with a Universal grade based on MEG (mono Ethylene Glycol) and ASTM D6210 specs as well.

I believe Perkins still talk about their Perkins ELC grade and only use a 50% mix ?

Of course you could go and buy proprietary stuff at exorbitant price !!

VicS

Visit site
Can I get an equivalent in a motor factor?
Any traditional low silicate antifreeze for older engines will be suitable ( usually green or blue)

If you think it may have contained a long life OAT type ( usually red or yellow) flush it thoroughly before filling with the low silicate type .

If your water supply is hard or high in dissolved solids using a ready diluted antifreeze may be sensible

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
You can get suitable antifreeze on ebay around £11 for consentrated no point paying for water. 5 litre.
If the analysis of your water supply exceeds the values in ASTM D4985 it is advisable to dilute antifreeze concentrate with distilled or deionised water.
If you have to buy distilled water you might jut as well buy the antifreeze ready diluted

Refueler

Visit site
Oh and just for the record .... my Baby Blake loo - depending on whats at hand ... Windscreen washer fluid of -30C rating or Anti-Freeze - the bowl gets a decent shot of it and pumped through to save it from the Baltic freeze !! Just thought I'd mention.

Anti-Freeze - not just for engines !!

38mess

Visit site
All done, I had to get the boat ready for tomorrow so I used Halfords low silicate concentrate, suitable for older diesel engines the guy said. Thanks for all advice. £14 a throw ?