Anchor for Drascombe Coaster

Bajansailor

Visit site
What does your 'useless' ground tackle consist of, and whereabouts are you anchoring?
@Neeves is the best person to advise you on anchors - although for a Coaster any small anchor such as a Delta, or Danforth around 10 lbs should be fine for you.
Or you can get one of the more fancy anchors that will cost more.
Or if you come across a cheap 15 lb CQR, they still hold reasonably well, never mind that so many folk now diss them in comparison to the 'new generation' anchors.
Actually, I am surprised that you have not had at least 10 replies by now, all recommending their favourite anchor.

William_H

Visit site
For a 21ft sail boat your anchor gear will be far different from that carried by many posters on this forum with much bigger boats. So no0 need to try to match their anchor gear. Though much depends on where you want to anchor and if you will be wanting to sleep on board in peace.
As said a Danforth of a size that will fit in your anchor well (if you have one or any other stowage place) connected to min 6 metres of chain about 8mm would be good then 50 metres of rope. Of a thickness easy ion the hands to pull in. Just be aware a Danforth is brilliant in sand and mud, hopeless in weed. A better anchor might seem like a good buy. I think much more chain would just weigh the boat bow down . ol'will From another 21ft owner

Neeves

Visit site
Well come to the forum.

I think Bajansailor raises the questions - if you answer them you will receive more informed replies.

What is your location, where do you intend to anchor (rough geographic area) and why will you be anchoring, just for lunch or do you intend to make long passages round the UK (are you in the UK)

What do you have now and why do you think it is useless.

How quickly do you want your new tackle - I understand some good deals come up on eBay in the UK - but you obviously need patience.

So fill in some gaps otherwise the answers might not be as useful as you might desire.

Jonathan

Visit site
Thank you for the replies so far.

I will be sailing around the South West of England Devon and Cornwall.

Over nighting for will be the main purpose of anchoring.

The anchor the boat came with is a 5lb Souwester Plough with about 3 meters of chain.

In the garage i do have a 4kg delta which I am debating as a bower and a 1.8kg fortress that i plan to use as a kedge.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
As far as I can see (Longboat owner, Drascombe Association member) by far the most common is a Danforth (or Fortress, I suppose) because they stow nice and flat on the foredeck. Churchouse Boats sell an "anchor stowage kit" of blocks and fairleads for this very purpose.

I'll get a Fortress for mine in due course. Meanwhile I use a 5kg Bruce knock-off which I had lying around, with 2m of chain and an old liferaft painter which works very well for days out in the freshwater loch and river where I keep the boat.

Last edited:
In the garage i do have a 4kg delta which I am debating as a bower and a 1.8kg fortress that i plan to use as a kedge.

If I were in your position, I'd do what you are suggesting. A 4 kg (or 6 kg if you want to upsize) Delta is what Lewmar recommend for a 21' boat, details if you scroll down a bit here.
Lewmar Delta® Anchor- Galvanised

I'd get some (5 - 10 m) 6 mm chain, and a long length of 10 mm nylon for the delta bower, and put the old chain and warp onto the fortress and use as a kedge.

Neeves

Visit site
If you can get a Delta to set - it is a reliable anchor - the rub being getting it to set.

For a decent budget anchor I'd suggest a Plastimo Kobra, of a size recommended by Plastimo. A number or people on the forum use Kobra's, I have tested one (which I bought in the UK and brought back as part of luggage (it fitted in the suitcase). The anchor has a folding mechanism to allow it to be more easily stored - I had ours welded up. You can buy Kobra's in many UK chandlers - if they don't have what you need in stock, go to another chandler or have them get one with their next Plastimo order (but don't pay extra for ordering it in :( ).

Kobra set quickly and reliably.

I'd supplement the Kobra with 5m of 6mm G30 chain and whatever length of anchor plait you need for your deepest proposed anchorage at a 5:1 scope. Anchor plait is easy on the hands and will not cause any issues when you deploy and retreive. Choose the diameter of the anchor plait such that it will be comfortable to handle - it will be too strong - but if you buy for the correct strength it will be hard on your hands. I'd keep the rode in a milk crate (cut the top half off if storage is an issue). I would not use a bucket - unless you drill holes in it as you want the rope and chain to dry out. If you can find some leather, cheap gardening, gloves you can keep with the rope - to wear when you retreive (you might pull up shell which can cut).

I note you have a 1.5kg Fortress - I'd keep that but I'd look our for a slightly bigger one (on eBay). I think you need 2 decent anchors, both Kobra and Fortress are better than decent. Why 2 - you may lose one. A Fortress is unbeatable in sand and mud, but useless in weed and stones. A Kobra is not bad in weed and good in stones and adequate in sand (less so in mud). I'd keep the Delta but get rid of the plough (or leave it at home). The Fortress will benefit from a short length of chain, use the chain you already have. You need a spare rode, or you cannot use the Fortress as a kedge.

If you are not in a hurry all of this might appear on eBay in the next few months. If you found a cheap Rocna or Supreme on eBay, of the size they recommend for your boat - buy one instead of the Kobra.

When you wash the boat down, with fresh water, hose down the rode - mud will start to smell and may damage the galvanising.

Take care, stay safe.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Ignore the idea of a tandem anchor in Post 8. They sound good in theory but are simply a liability in practice. If Thinwater comes on the scene - he has actually tried it.

Now I know you will not believe me - try it your self in a non critical situation. But the anchor closer to the yacht simply lifts out of the seabed and acts as a kellet. The rode provides tension but some of that tension is lifting the anchor. The horizontal tension is balanced by the furthest away anchor - so the close anchor cannot move forward and set more deeply - but is simply lifted.

If you have 2 anchors - set them in a 'V' - such that they cover the veer of the wind, then each anchor will act as a primary orientated to the variation of the wind.

Jonathan

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

Neeves I always enjoying reading your comments in other anchor threads and find them very informative.

My thoughts for the Coaster is as follows.

Keep the 4kg delta until I find a new gen or similar second hand, pair it with 10m of 6mm chain and then I have 50meters of 10mm warp which I do not think I will be able to store all of on the bow.

As for a second set up the fx7 fortress which I love and previously used as a kedge on my Westery Centaur. I will attach 6m of 6mm and have a large shackle at the end of this chain for tying on one of the two 20meter lines I will carry.

Will be interested to hear everyone's feed back on this set up?

Cheers

Neeves

Visit site
If your intent is to stop overnight, maybe for a long weekend (or longer) then I'd be comfortable with what you intend. I like the idea that you will look out for something on ebay - anchors last forever (well almost) and a good deal will turn up (I've noted others have collected many anchors this way).

For a day sailor your ideas are OTT - but you have said overnighting and I'm hoping the Drascombe will encourage you to strike out further and actually use what you have. Don't let the dreams fade. :)

Come back and tell us how you get on - and make us jealous, simplicity has benefits.

You should not need it - but Good Luck and Fair Winds

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Lucy52

Visit site
Ignore the idea of a tandem anchor in Post 8. They sound good in theory but are simply a liability in practice. If Thinwater comes on the scene - he has actually tried it.

Now I know you will not believe me - try it your self in a non critical situation. But the anchor closer to the yacht simply lifts out of the seabed and acts as a kellet. The rode provides tension but some of that tension is lifting the anchor. The horizontal tension is balanced by the furthest away anchor - so the close anchor cannot move forward and set more deeply - but is simply lifted.

If you have 2 anchors - set them in a 'V' - such that they cover the veer of the wind, then each anchor will act as a primary orientated to the variation of the wind.

Jonathan
I thought the tandem anchoring might be picked up. Probable considered normal when published.

I posted as it gives an idea of the recommended anchoring equipment.

The booklet though dated, gives good advice for any small boat owner venturing out to sea.