Add an iPad as digital gauge panel

vas

Visit site
Still not convinced.
Why do you need SignalK to do that?
Cant you just read the data when you need it?
Mike, sure, but how and where? Having spent lots of time getting everything in N2K PGNs (not for any particular reason I'd say, just because I could and it was an interesting learning experience...) I'd need to do a lot of work to read that into something else, except if you mean OpenCPN type of approach but i'm not sure it would cut it.
Of course I can read everything in my garmin screens but needs various screens and wont be in a timebase series which is useful for post evaluations. Remember mine is a 45yo plywood boat with some aging components, want to be aware of what's doing what in there (next project is getting bilge float input as PGN switch states)
Another I'm finalising now is getting a log of the mins the windlass has operated (similar to what I've done with the yanmar geny where I count hours of operation for oil changes), funny thing there is that there's a PGN for that and practically no device that supports it, so stuck with custom data logging...

And I'm not sure that I need that kind of detail.
I'm more interested in useful information that I can use at sea - AIS and GPS etc - displayed on simple to read screens.
One place I thought that SignalK might be useful was in inter vessel data.
Maybe interrogate other boats's systems - find where your mates are etc.
fair enough, as mentioned before found it a great help debugging my arduino code producing the PGNs that are then visualised.
Haven't thought about AIS data tabulated or something, or sorted with flags/criteria. Mainly because in my waters I've got 4 liners and a dozen bulk carriers and then lots (in the summer) recreational vessels with AIS. None of my friends have it, so not much use.
Yes, grabbing AIS data for a particular area from marinetraffic or such, analysing and presenting it doesn't need signalk for sure!

V.

Hurricane

Visit site
Mike, sure, but how and where? Having spent lots of time getting everything in N2K PGNs (not for any particular reason I'd say, just because I could and it was an interesting learning experience...) I'd need to do a lot of work to read that into something else, except if you mean OpenCPN type of approach but i'm not sure it would cut it.
Of course I can read everything in my garmin screens but needs various screens and wont be in a timebase series which is useful for post evaluations. Remember mine is a 45yo plywood boat with some aging components, want to be aware of what's doing what in there (next project is getting bilge float input as PGN switch states)
Another I'm finalising now is getting a log of the mins the windlass has operated (similar to what I've done with the yanmar geny where I count hours of operation for oil changes), funny thing there is that there's a PGN for that and practically no device that supports it, so stuck with custom data logging...

fair enough, as mentioned before found it a great help debugging my arduino code producing the PGNs that are then visualised.
Haven't thought about AIS data tabulated or something, or sorted with flags/criteria. Mainly because in my waters I've got 4 liners and a dozen bulk carriers and then lots (in the summer) recreational vessels with AIS. None of my friends have it, so not much use.
Yes, grabbing AIS data for a particular area from marinetraffic or such, analysing and presenting it doesn't need signalk for sure!

V.
This is where I show how much of a dinosaur I am.
I do have N2K on the boat but all my connections to the PC are NMEA 0183 (serial 1 one to one) connections.
Actually, I really only need one NMEA 0183 port because the Raymarine G Series black boxes multiples everything together.
So, I'm really only concentrating on navigation information but NMEA 0183 has sentences for everything that I need.
Also, by not connecting to the N2K, I am keeping the PC completely separate from the main Nav system.
My additions can be easily removed from the boat without causing and issues with the dedicated Raymarine kit.
This concept also leads to better redundancy in that the PC can be used separately and the Raymarine kit separately.

I thought Signal K was a layer that you can use on top of N2K.
It sounds like you are just using N2K.

I still don't really see the benefits of Signal K.
Maybe Signal K stuff will come out in the future.
In the meantime, it is really easy to read 0183 sentences.
As I say, I'm a bit of a dinosaur.

vas

Visit site
nah, simply shows different focii (sp?) we have which leads to different approaches to collecting processing and visualising data...

Lucas Gan

Visit site
When I check the OpenCPN download page, it shows a note:

Important Note.
There are multiple problems reported against the 64-bit arm builds, both raspbian and stock Debian. For the time being, OpenCPN doesn't support 64-bit builds on ARM.

So, does that means I better using other hardware rather than Raspberry Pi to avoid the problems?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
When I check the OpenCPN download page, it shows a note:

Important Note.
There are multiple problems reported against the 64-bit arm builds, both raspbian and stock Debian. For the time being, OpenCPN doesn't support 64-bit builds on ARM.

So, does that means I better using other hardware rather than Raspberry Pi to avoid the problems?
Lots of options/points here.

But, firstly, if you are considering your ships PC to be a serious computer, I would recommend Intel/AMD x86 hardware.
The Raspberry Pi is a great little computer but still much slower than an Intel/AMD PC.

My ship's computer is a Gigabyte Brix running an Intel i3 running at reasonable speed.
It is one of these Gigabyte Kaby Lake i3 BRIX S Barebone Mini PC Kit with 2.5" SATA Bay
But that particular model has now been superseded.
The key in buying an Intel/AMD PC these days is to make sure that it has a slot for an M.2 NVMe SSD - which is accessed over the PCi bus.
Thats a bit technical but anything with an NVMe drive like that will be significantly faster than older hard disks or standard SATA SSDs.
The cost of an NVMe M.2 drive is much the same as the older technology so a no brainer.
But the PC itself needs to support it.
The one in my link above does
You could use a slower device but if I were buying new, the one in the following link is the kind of thing I would buy.
I am tempted to buy one of these to play with because I've never used an AMD device before and it should be interesting to see how it performs:-
mini-itx.com: Asus PN50 Ryzen 7 4700U Mini PC Mini PC
With the right SSD, it should fly.

Sticking with the PC solution for the moment.
You could install Windows but you said you have experience using Linux.
OpenCPN will run on most flavours of Linux without any incompatibilities so Ubuntu will be fine as well.
At the moment, I'm using Manjaro - there isn't an OpenCPN build specifically for Manjaro (Arch) but thats the beauty of Manjaro.
Under Manjaro's Pamac installer you simply search for OpenCPN, click on it and it builds OpenCPN for your installation.
And then - it just works.

Now on to the Raspberry Pi
The Raspberry Pi 4 is the current model.
It will run both 32 and 64 bit software.
Its predecessors only ran 32 bit software.
Most people install Raspbian (now called Raspberry Pi OS) which it available in 32 bit or a beta in 64 bit.
But, as you say, OpenCPN on the RPi is only available for Raspbian under 32bit.
So, you COULD install a 32bit Raspbian and run a Raspberry Pi 4 in 32 bit mode.
You probably wouldn't notice any difference in speed than if it were possible under 64bit anyway.

Another option would be to download a complete image from OpenPlotter - stick it on a microSD card.
And just boot it - OpenPlotter image that you download includes everything .

But, for the Raspberry Pi - both for the Raspberry Pi 4 and the Raspberry Pi 400 (the keyboard option), I do this:-
I recommend using Manjaro - this solution will end up with a 64bit operating system running a 64bit OpenCPN.
Go to the Manjaro website and search for the Raspberry Pi under ARM devices - here is a link Manjaro - Downloads - then Editions - Arm - Raspberry Pi 4
Then scroll down to the last item on that screen and click the "Get Raspberry Pi 4 XFCE xxxx" button.
The image that you download will need to be burned into a MicroSD card.
I use the Raspberry Pi Imager which is available for most computer systems but something like Etcher will work as well.
Stick the burned microSD card into a Raspberry Pi 4 with a keyboard and monitor connected and boot it.
You will have to go through a typical Linux install script but you will end up with a fully working XFCE Manjaro installation with the familiar desktop feel of an old Windows computer.
This will be a full 64bit Linux build on the Raspberry Pi 4
I have some detailed notes and my own desktop themes - just let me know and I can send them to you.
To install OpenCPN, open Pamac (Click on the Manjaro icon - bottom left where the old Start button was - and look for "Add Remove Software".
Using Pamac, search for OpenCPN and install it - Manjaro will download all the source files and build OpenCPN for you - its that easy.
When it is finished, you will find OpenCPN in the Start Menu (actually under XFCE it is called the Whisker Menu)

Let me know if you want some help or if you get that far and need some help with charts.

I am now going to "fire up one of my Raspberry Pis with OpenCPN, and post a screenshot but the result is so good, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from my main desktop PC

EDIT
You will have to take my word for it but this this is a screenshot from a Raspberry Pi 4 (actually it was the Rappberry Pi 400 - the one with the keyboard).
As you can see, it just looks like any other PC.
OpenCPN is running with two windows - each one showing Ibiza but using different charts.
Lots of other apps loaded - LibreOffice and KDENLive (the Open Source video editor) are examples.
All installed interactively using the Manjaro Pamac installer.

Screenshot_2021-09-06_10-52-55.resized.png

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
Of course, you could do as most people do and just use a Laptop (any operating system will do).
But I prefer a dedicated solution - I'm not a great fan of Laptops.
acute dynosauriasis detected!
:)
I change laptops every 5-6yrs nowadays (they don't seem to break bloody things and sw I use seems to keep on going!)
So last one in range is demoted or promoted to the boat, easy and cheap. Mind have to install OpenCPN on this one, had on the previous one which is now rip

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
acute dynosauriasis detected!
:)
I change laptops every 5-6yrs nowadays (they don't seem to break bloody things and sw I use seems to keep on going!)
So last one in range is demoted or promoted to the boat, easy and cheap. Mind have to install OpenCPN on this one, had on the previous one which is now rip
OK - I guess that my approach, again, is different.
My G Series monitors on the helm positions are just that - monitors.
So they take a PC signal by design and give the PC a "Sunlight Viewable" display.
I could use a Laptop but I prefer to have all the interfacing there all the time.
I also power it up remotely to check the batteries etc when I'm away from the boat.
So, for me a dedicated PC is a better option.

TheCoach

Visit site
Brilliant discussion chaps, as a lifelong Windows geek and many years running an MS Partner you are making me seriously consider playing with Linux and Raspberry Pi :p

Looking at creating a digital display of analogue engine data but can see me getting carried away:unsure:

TC

Hurricane

Visit site
Brilliant discussion chaps, as a lifelong Windows geek and many years running an MS Partner you are making me seriously consider playing with Linux and Raspberry Pi :p

Looking at creating a digital display of analogue engine data but can see me getting carried away:unsure:

TC

Go on - you know it makes sense - release yourself from the clutches of Microsoft -I am an ex.MS Partner man as well. Liberate yourself.

John100156

Visit site
I installed Manjaro on my Pi400, which works well, also installed OpenCPN but I also use oeSENC charts (release 4.2 .19.28) but it seems they have not released a 64 bit plug-in yet that enables them.

I may take my Pi400 out to the boat in October and walk along to the end of my pontoon, where I think help might be available......!

Hurricane

Visit site
I installed Manjaro on my Pi400, which works well, also installed OpenCPN but I also use oeSENC charts (release 4.2 .19.28) but it seems they have not released a 64 bit plug-in yet that enables them.

I may take my Pi400 out to the boat in October and walk along to the end of my pontoon, where I think help might be available......!
Liquid refreshment might be required

Hurricane

Visit site
What screen to use is the best under sunshine? Thanks.
This is probably the biggest issue to solve.
As I say, I feed my PC into my Raymarine G series but the displays are actually monitors so have proper PC (VGA etc) inputs.
I do have a standard desktop PC monitor that I use inside the boat - great when not actually under way.
A few years ago, I did find a cheap sunlight viewable display that should have worked but I didn't buy/test it.
It would be good if someone on this forum has a good solution to a monitor for a PC on a boat.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Right. Did a little search online. Looks like the most important spec for sunlight viewable is the brightness needs to be 1000 cd/m² or more. If with anti-glare will be even better. Doesn't matter what brand or what kind. Will do some hunting.

Last edited:

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I have just started playing openplotter on an old laptop in Ubuntu. Quite interesting, a lot of software and a lot of potentials to build things. I like it already. Many thanks!

Hurricane

Visit site
Whilst you have Openplotter running,
have a look at Kplex which is part of the suite of applications. It allows the ships NMEA data to be multiplexed to other devices. Only runs under Linux but if you have a wireless LAN on board, you can transmit GPS an AIS etc to mobile devices. As an alternative, OpenCPN itself has the ability to read the ships NMEA data and resend it after using the data itself. For example, you could have OpenCPN running all the time on a ships PC and have the Android version of OpenCPN running on an Android tablet with all the AIS targets being displayed on the tablet.
Loads of options once you have a ships PC. As I say, I use Linux everywhere. I like to be in charge. Just don't want to get that dreaded 15min wait whilst Windows starts or updates!!
Linux sets you free.