Mercury 3.5HP Outboard spares and diagrams

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
I have been amusing myself over the lockdown period by giving my old dinghy a complete overhaul, now I'm turning my attention to the Mercury 3.5HP outboard, early '90s 2-stroke. It runs well but due to the long time it has been left standing, the gear lever assembly is seized. I have learned a lot from Youtube but none of the stripdowns I have found deal with the gear change. The rest of the leg has come apart and I have found it needs a new impellor and a few bolts have sheared. Two questions - is there a good online source of exploded diagrams and parts lists, and is there a recommended source of parts ? Thanks in anticipation.

VicS

Visit site
If I want exploded parts diagrams and parts lists I usually refer to Boats.net Boats.net: Outboard Motors, OEM Marine Parts, Boats for Sale although the manufacturers own parts websites are better for some brands

For Johnson / Evinrude parts I use Oakley Marine :: OutBoards-Direct :: Although they are also Mariner agents they are not officially Mercury agents

For Mercury parts I would probably use Wills Marine Evinrude Outboard Engine Parts - Johnson Outboard Spare Parts - UK

I expect others have their own favourite parts suppliers

andsarkit

Visit site
Seized gear levers are a common problem on these. The plastic seems to swell with water absorption. If you can get it out then it is easy to fix by removing the O rings and slightly sanding the shaft before reassembling with silicon grease.
Mercury 3.3 gear lever

Caladh

Visit site
My Mercury o/b gear lever went into sieze mode last year in Fowey on hols. Couldn’t shift it so took it to a local o/b engineer there (vg) who repaired and delivered it back to me on a mooring All for about £45. Prior to the work he said IF he could remove it all would be well but there was a chance of breaking it in which case a new one would cost about £40. Luckily he didn’t rip me off and removed the siezed one, greased it up all was well.

Boathook

Visit site
My Mercury o/b gear lever went into sieze mode last year in Fowey on hols. Couldn’t shift it so took it to a local o/b engineer there (vg) who repaired and delivered it back to me on a mooring All for about £45. Prior to the work he said IF he could remove it all would be well but there was a chance of breaking it in which case a new one would cost about £40. Luckily he didn’t rip me off and removed the siezed one, greased it up all was well.
If it was the marine engineer near the ferry I had to use them quite a few years ago to strip and clean the 3 carbs on my honda. Did a good job the same day, reasonable charge and very honest and open about what he was doing and why, plus I picked up a few tips for any likely future problems.