Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

mikemanor

www.waltontraining.co.uk
Re: Ambassador's reponse to CA

I have always regretted the fudge negotiated by the RYA on behalf of diesel Mobo owners (60/40 usage split for a big diesel powered 40 footer - really?). It would be far simpler for all if the UK eliminated red diesel altogether, enforcing the provision of white. Where permitted for relevant businesses, tax could then be reclaimed in the same way as VAT is.

Spot on. I have always said the same

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM

When all marinas/harbours have red diesel tanks and yachts and mobos have been carrying red legally, how would the UK be able to remove traces of red. It would come from shoreside tanks and onboard. They would all need to be replaced or cleaned to remove traces of dye.
The only solution is for the use of red by UK vessels to be approved as there is no real alternative.
And before people start saying, bring it in cans... try doing that when your motorsailer carries 1600 litres of fuel and a top up is usually around 600 litres...!!
We are also liveaboards so genuinely use diesel for heating and cooking (generator as no gas). If we go nowhere between fills, 60/40 isn't correct as it would be 100% domestic.
Why they can't just accept it whatever the colour - as long as it;s in your tanks and you've paid the duty on it that was correct in the country of purchase.
The next thing will be Belgian customs asking for a few extra Euros a bottle on wine you bought cheaply in France!!!
It's all a complete mess caused by bonkers bureaucrats.

Newbroom

Visit site

A further Facebook Posting from my friend in Belgium

Copy of my email to the RYA this morning re Red Fuel in Belgium.
Well done everyone who perfumed this issues.

Dear Carol
I have a further update for you and hopefully our RYA members.
The Belgium TV news today confirmed that the Belgium Customs have announced yesterday that as a result of pressure from British boaters, Belgium marina companies and Harbour masters, that they will no longer fine British boaters for having traces of red fuel in their boat fuel tanks. This is of corse based on the proper documentation and fuel receipts being available for their inspection if requested.
This state will remain in place until further notice.
I guess this will be when the EU Parliament finally rule on the issue.
That could well take some time.
One up to the masses.
Regards

I hope he dosn't get accused of not being truthful this time Lol

Boz

Visit site

One up to the masses.
Regards

Not sure that it is a parliamentary issue - it is the EU Committee on Excise Duty that will make the ruling and the meeting is, I believe, on the 18th September ......

Daydream believer

Visit site

Not sure that it is a parliamentary issue - it is the EU Committee on Excise Duty that will make the ruling and the meeting is, I believe, on the 18th September ......

Presumably minutes will be written circulated & agreed . The info will then be circulated to relevant governments for ratification etc. That , one would imagine, will take a few weeks. Hopefully that will see this season out at least

Daydream believer

Visit site

Dear Carol
I have a further update for you and hopefully our RYA members.
The Belgium TV news today confirmed that the Belgium Customs have announced yesterday that as a result of pressure from British boaters, Belgium marina companies and Harbour masters, that they will no longer fine British boaters for having traces of red fuel in their boat fuel tanks. This is of corse based on the proper documentation and fuel receipts being available for their inspection if requested.
This state will remain in place until further notice.
One up to the masses.
Regards

I hope he dosn't get accused of not being truthful this time Lol

No disrespect intended but Personally i would like to see the actual translation of the programme rather than a third hand facebook type note. Things do get distorted & things do get added/removed as they are passed down the chain.
I would further suggest that "further notice" will be the published result of the EU commission meeting-- it depends how long that takes to filter down. Presumably the wheels of committee will run quite slowly.

Newbroom

Visit site

No disrespect intended but Personally i would like to see the actual translation of the programme rather than a third hand facebook type note. Things do get distorted & things do get added/removed as they are passed down the chain.
I would further suggest that "further notice" will be the published result of the EU commission meeting-- it depends how long that takes to filter down. Presumably the wheels of committee will run quite slowly.

Yes quite true and I understand your hesitance lets hope that it is accurate. But knowing my friend for his persistence and doggedness in this matter and I would'nt want to bet on it being inaccurate. The Facebook note was him just filling me in on his latest notes to the RYA re his lobbying in Belgium

Dave

ex-Gladys

Visit site

There was a Centaur from the Medway alongside us in Woodbridge, and they got done in Nieuwport. I felt really sorry for them, because they'd been using only white diesel for two years, and it still hadn't washed out the red. €500 fine. The guy wanted to "have is day in court" but was told they would impound passports and boat unless he paid up...

Newbroom

Visit site

There was a Centaur from the Medway alongside us in Woodbridge, and they got done in Nieuwport. I felt really sorry for them, because they'd been using only white diesel for two years, and it still hadn't washed out the red. €500 fine. The guy wanted to "have is day in court" but was told they would impound passports and boat unless he paid up...

And that is the problem bully boy tactics like that leave you with no choice but to pay up regardless of the law

Daydream believer

Visit site

Yes quite true and I understand your hesitance lets hope that it is accurate. But knowing my friend for his persistence and doggedness in this matter and I would'nt want to bet on it being inaccurate. The Facebook note was him just filling me in on his latest notes to the RYA re his lobbying in Belgium

Dave
So long as you accept no disrespect intended
Today i received this reply having emailled 9 mep's some time ago
Dear Mr Longley

Thank you for your email addressed to Stuart Agnew MEP. He has asked me to reply to you on his behalf.

We have been looking into this matter but are hampered by the fact that your email arrived while the European Parliament is in summer recess. This limits our resources as many staff are on holiday. Nevertheless, our researcher did email the Belgian Yachting Association and elicited the following, not very helpful reply:

Dear Sir,

We can only regret the approach of Belgian authorities regarding British yachtsmen and red fuel in particular.

We have tried to convince Belgian responsible authorities to change their attitude so far without success.

Yours Sincerely,

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Gerda

We are now considering putting down a written question to the European Commission about this issue, on your behalf but again, we cannot do this until the Parliament is back in September.

With your permission, I would like to come back to you on this next month.

Sincerely

Stuart Gulleford
Political Advisor to Stuart Agnew MEP

Boz

Visit site

Do we know if this was before or after the Ambassador's response or the CA's statement and now the RYA (latest News letter)?

Biggles Wader

Visit site

I wonder if any of the people who have been fined are trying to get their money back,or if the RYA are assisting anyone affected to do so.We are all vulnerable to arbitrary policy changes such as happened this summer unless there is some recourse available to those who get unlucky.I wont be visiting until the Belgians officially publish a policy, enforceable under the rule of law, which includes a concentration level above which fuel is illegal.That way they would have to prove an offense before blithely relieving us of £500 under threat of detention.

CCJ

Visit site

I wonder if any of the people who have been fined are trying to get their money back,or if the RYA are assisting anyone affected to do so.We are all vulnerable to arbitrary policy changes such as happened this summer unless there is some recourse available to those who get unlucky.I wont be visiting until the Belgians officially publish a policy, enforceable under the rule of law, which includes a concentration level above which fuel is illegal.That way they would have to prove an offense before blithely relieving us of £500 under threat of detention.

The RYA will not assist reclaiming fines as according to the advise we have been told not to go to Belgium with any marked fuel. They are as good as a chocolate teapot

apollo

Visit site

The RYA will not assist reclaiming fines as according to the advise we have been told not to go to Belgium with any marked fuel. They are as good as a chocolate teapot

RYA has not come out of this well, thinking of switching to Cruising Assoc..

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com

I'm curious about what it is that people think the CA has done that the RYA has not?

Both organisations have been very actively fighting the corner of UK boaters over this issue for more than a decade

maby

Visit site

I'm curious about what it is that people think the CA has done that the RYA has not?

Both organisations have been very actively fighting the corner of UK boaters over this issue for more than a decade

I'm not clear about the CA's position on this, but I would say that the RYA's pressure to retain red diesel coupled with the 60/40 split has resulted in us wasting the opportunities to address the issues and seems likely to result in us effectively being banned from the whole of mainland Europe soon.