zips seized

shaqra

Visit site
Hi
What is the best way to remove salt water corrosion on zippers which
cover my cushions. They are seized only at the zipper.
Many thanks for any replies.

Paddy

<hr width=100% size=1>

BobPrell

Visit site
Silicone spray might prevent corrosion but probably not cure it.Lanolin spray is the best corrosion preventer I have used.

What is needed is something to reduce the oxide, which jams the zip.
Leave the zip soaking in vinegar (a mild acid) for a couple of days and it should be loose. I realize this is hard to do on something the size of a cushion.
This method works wonders on small brass or bronze items which are corroded.

I save all the acid I can get from old batteries, which I use for getting the rust off corroded steel objects. Leave them submerged in acid overnight, then wash with plenty of water. The surface is left roughened where the rust was, when dried this takes primer paint beautifully. Paint asp cos rust quickly forms on the bare metal.

Observe all precautions for handling acid.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I found that the only way was to cut off the slider and replace, the zinc castings being seriously damaged.

Frank Marsden

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i get really p'd off with zips on so-called 'marine' gear. they almost all use these cast grey metal sliders that sieze up after being on a boat for a few months. i've tried lubricants, acids, solvents etc and the only thing that works is brute force. with very careful application of force using e.g. needle nosed mole grips i manage to free about 50% of them, the rest are either too badly siezed or so corroded they disintegrate.

i am now resolved that the only was to tackle the problem is to make sure the sliders are plastic and refuse to buy anything with metal sliders.

a few of the offenders that have caused me grief of late are douglas gill sailing bag, natural mat co. mattresses, canon binocular case. all these manufacturers should know better. if sailmakers and oilie manufacturers can get it right, so could the others, they are just being cheapskates.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
Agree

All those die-cast zips seize at the first sight of salt.
After a couple of attempts to free them up, I rmoved them all and replaced the traveller with some brass ones i got from the local Super-U supermarché.

I found 6-in-1 the best penetrant - but think it's only available in Spain (it smells like machine cutting oil).

If you do know anyone with a machine shop, beg, borrow or steal some cutting oil from him and try that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pampas

Visit site
Try Gt80 or TF80 available in most auto shops contains Teflon and is the best marine lubricant (apart fron Phospro) that I have ever seen, use it everywhere and find it lasts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

shaqra

Visit site
Thanks for all the tips guys.
I freed up 7 out of eight and broke the last one!!. I used a key ring on the zipper to give more purchase and it worked very well.
I will replace them with plastic types.

<hr width=100% size=1>