Zip and thread needed for Stackpack / Lazybag

wipe_out

Visit site
Hi,
Most likely been answered before but I was not able to find the correct search criteria.. :)

The stitching on the zip on our stackpack bag has failed and started coming away in places.. Also the zip that was used was never the easiest to pull up especially at the end of the boom where you are stretching.. So I am planning to remove the old zip and put in a new one.. I have a friend with access to an industrial sewing machine so no issues with getting the new zip put in but I don't know what zip would be best and what thread to use that will be UV resistant..

So if anyone can offer some advice on the brand/size/type of zip and which thread to use I would appreciate it..

Thanks..

Martin_J

Visit site
Go for a bonded polyester thread and as others have mentioned either a V69, or a V92 if your machine and needle will cope with the thicker V92. Simply put, the V number refers to the thickness of the thread. Being thicker, the V92 seems to last longer in the sun.

Thread - Marine

Regarding zips.. Looking online you will find either coil zips or chain zips. Coil zippers are really flexible but for a stack pack zipper most would look at the chain zipper style (and it likely the style you already have).

Now that you have narrowed that down and then chosen to go for either a common size 8 or 10 (which refers to the approximate measurement in mm across the closed zipper teeth), you will have to choose between 'continuous' or 'finished' (open ended) zippers.

If the far end of the stackpack remains closed, then a continuous zip, with the far end stitched together can work (although in this case you buy the zipper separate) and you buy that my the metre length. If however the far end of the stackpack ever needs to unzip and come apart totally, then you will need to buy a finished zip (which has one end with a moulded stub which then slides into the movable zipper end to do it back up. You buy one longer than needed, and make sure you cut off the end that isn't needed when connecting the two halves. To stop the zipper pulling all the way off then, either buy a couple of clip on plastic stoppers, or just wrap some thread around and around that part of the zip where you want the zipper to stop zipping (or stitch the zipper end out of sight).

Point North / Profabrics sell both styles (as do other suppliers)..

Open ended examples
Open Ended Chain Zips 2-4 metres - Marine

vs Continuous
Chain Continuous Zipping - Marine

And after writing all that description, I find that Sailrite explain the differences but with pictures.
Choosing the Right Zipper

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
FWIW, after having sewn, stitched and restitched the zip a number of times (with the so called UV resistant thread every year I have a few tens of cm to restitch), rather uncomfortable boom 4.5m long and ending over the bimini... next move I am converting the lazy bag top cover to a flap thingy: I will be adding fabric laterally along the length of the top cover, slits where the lazy bag ropes are attached, then sew some hooks on the opposite side. Sail down, throw the top cover over the folded sail, hook it and that's it.

Metalicmike

Visit site
Thanks for reminding me, another job on my never ending list. As for the tight zip, I spray mine regularly with silicone and its never a problem, I also spray my mainsheet track carriages. (Also good for curtain rails at home use to use pledge).