Zeeland trip

DanTribe

Visit site
We liked to return via the Roompot. The marina is nothing special to my mind, which is why we preferred to stay at Colijnsplaat. I once tried to refuel at the Roompot marina only to find that there wasn’t enough depth at the fuel pontoon when we arrived, around LW. The clearance under the road at the lock is not enough for all yachts and larger yachts may need to leave nearer LW, which is then wrong for those going south. The tide runs at nearly 4 kn outside, which is useful but can kick up quite a sea for a few miles. The direct route to Harwich then takes you through wind farms, which is part of the reason we usually returned via Blankenberg.
I was also very unimpressed with Roompot Marina, one of the few Dutch places I avoid. On a previous visit we were allowed to overnight on the sluis waiting pontoons this is no longer allowed at most locks. There was also an excellent fish and chippy under the Roompot road bridge.

michael_w

Visit site
I've never used the Roompotsluis marina. Only the waiting pontoons, or anchored just to the north of the eastern side of the lock. No problem on the various waiting pontoons last year.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Has Nieuwpoort changed recently?
In 2022 we had a heck of a job checking in. we were supposed to do it on line but couldn't make the app work. The Air Force Yacht club said don't bother. The VVW marina couldn't do it either. We went to the police office and the policewoman wouldn't do it and called the sergeant who reluctantly made a phone call and stamped our passports.
We persisted because a crew member was flying home and what would have happened at the airport if she wasn't officially in the country.
On our way home there was a poster on the police office door, in Flemish, saying non Schengen visitors, please don't bother us.
Interesting. We were there in May 22. we filled in the online form for Belgium before leaving Ramsgate. On presentation at the police station they knew nothing about online forms! But, very nicely, they took our passports away and came back ten minutes later all stamped up and ready to go. Worst thing was that we arrived late at night and went to the marina on the other side; it's about a twenty minute walk from there (as opposed to two mins from the other marina).

michael_w

Visit site
On last year's trip we actually checked in at Ijmuiden and out at Vlissigen. The Marechaussee at Vlissigen said they would come to Roompotsluis. Marechaussee

Incidentally, the route from Harwich to Ijmuiden is a right PITA because of all the TSSs and the wind farms and I doubt I'd go that way again.

DanTribe

Visit site
I've never used the Roompotsluis marina. Only the waiting pontoons, or anchored just to the north of the eastern side of the lock. No problem on the various waiting pontoons last year.
That's interesting. In the past we have stayed overnight at Roompotsluis and Krammersluis waiting pontoons, but last visit the man came and shooed us away. I think it is still allowed at Volkerak sluis. I hope it has gone back to being allowed, it was a handy option.

bluerm166

Visit site
The small 'bay' noted as 'Betonhaven' up against Neelte Jans ( so the immediately north of the forbidden ' Matenhaven') is a well protected anchorage and quiet spot with plenty of room ,provided you don't have a very deep keel as it is shallow on the way in.

Pye_End

Visit site
On last year's trip we actually checked in at Ijmuiden and out at Vlissigen. The Marechaussee at Vlissigen said they would come to Roompotsluis. Marechaussee

Incidentally, the route from Harwich to Ijmuiden is a right PITA because of all the TSSs and the wind farms and I doubt I'd go that way again.
How easy is it to check in at Ijmuiden?

I was looking at Lowestoft to Ijmuiden for the reasons you give about starting at Harwich.

PeterWright

Visit site
Lowestoft to Ijmuiden is a reasonable passage. You need to get through the Greater Gabbard wind farm, which is fairly straightforward, then a slight deviation to dodge one more just off Ijmuiden. If you're headed for the Ijsellmeer and points north, it's my preferred crossing, but not so good for Zeeland.

Peter.

johnalison

Visit site
Lowestoft to Ijmuiden is a reasonable passage. You need to get through the Greater Gabbard wind farm, which is fairly straightforward, then a slight deviation to dodge one more just off Ijmuiden. If you're headed for the Ijsellmeer and points north, it's my preferred crossing, but not so good for Zeeland.

Peter.
We used that route several times on the way to the Baltic or Frisian islands. I haven't looked it up lately but the only obstructions at the time were the odd gas rig. Although there are shipping lanes I never found them a problem. In average conditions we would leave Lowestoft at 6am and get to the other side and be berthed by 11pm, leaving us ready for a night's sleep and able to move on the next morning, unlike the longer crossings where we would have to take a day off to recover.

MK101

Visit site
How easy is it to check in at Ijmuiden?

I was looking at Lowestoft to Ijmuiden for the reasons you give about starting at Harwich.
We came back to NL from Lowestoft to Ijmuiden this last summer. We telephoned the Marechaussee on arrival in the marina, and they told us to call again when we were waiting for the lock. A quick return call after a bit of rest, and as we came out of the lock on the Noordzeekanal side, there was a small car waiting for us. We stepped off, my brother got the stamp he needed, and we left about a minute later. Excellent service! They did say it would have been different if they had had a big ferry or cruise ship to deal with. And how it will work once it all goes electronic is unclear. But it was very easy last July.

Pye_End

Visit site
We came back to NL from Lowestoft to Ijmuiden this last summer. We telephoned the Marechaussee on arrival in the marina, and they told us to call again when we were waiting for the lock. A quick return call after a bit of rest, and as we came out of the lock on the Noordzeekanal side, there was a small car waiting for us. We stepped off, my brother got the stamp he needed, and we left about a minute later. Excellent service! They did say it would have been different if they had had a big ferry or cruise ship to deal with. And how it will work once it all goes electronic is unclear. But it was very easy last July.
Pre-Brexit I was boarded just off the port, boarded the same day in the marina, and asked to stop the next day in the place you describe! So I take it the marina don't make the arrangements. Presumably they will come out to the marina if heading up to Den Helder instead of entering the canal? Is this the correct page with the contact details? - Contact the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee

As you say, the procedure may well change in May. Hard to find an 'idiot's guide' anywhere.

michael_w

Visit site
I cleared in at the office by the ferry terminal. There's a handy place to stop just past the lock into the canal. Otherwise, it's a long walk from the marina.

MK101

Visit site
Pre-Brexit I was boarded just off the port, boarded the same day in the marina, and asked to stop the next day in the place you describe! So I take it the marina don't make the arrangements. Presumably they will come out to the marina if heading up to Den Helder instead of entering the canal? Is this the correct page with the contact details? - Contact the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee

As you say, the procedure may well change in May. Hard to find an 'idiot's guide' anywhere.
Yes, I think that's where we got the number from. I should say we're a Dutch yacht, so won't necessarily attract so much attention. They do make it clear that it's everybody's duty to check in, even if they're Dutch. But I'm not sure how many people currently do that.

sailorman

Visit site
A few comments about the Zeelands trip, purely personal and there are still lots of delights I haven't yet discovered.
If you're heading East from Nieuwepoort/ Ostend try to catch the flood into Oosterchelde. It's vicious off Breskens / Vlissingen and that is usuall y when you're tired.
Breskens is easier to enter at night than the locks at Vlissingen. If you need to stock up there are several large supermarkets by the marina yacht club VVW Schelde.
There is a "Blue Wave" convoy system every 2 hours between Keersluis Vlisingen and Stationbrug Middelburg. The bridges are openned in sequence, makes life simple.
Middelburg is delightful, The harbourmasters office is on the quay and he / she will allocate a berth and tell you bridge openning times. Mostly box berths. Read up on the WW2 battle of Walcheren, bitter fighting and very brave guys.
On to Versemeer, there are many free steigers [jetties], One of my favourites is at the Northwest corner near Vrouwenpolder. Excellent fish at a fast food cafe and good restaurants and bars on the dam wall.
If you are energetic there is a windsurf school and a fixed waterski course and have go at flyboarding [not for me!] Another favourite is Bastiaan de Langpoort. No facilities, some trees and grass and a thunderbox loo, but tranquil.
I find the area around Kortgene too busy for me but handy for stores and excellent repair facilities.
Next, through the lock onto Westerschelde, feels like you're back at sea. right to Goes, [try and coincide with a market day], or left to Zierekzee, check bridge opening times if your mast is 12m +. Zierikzee is nice but not on my list of "must return"
A visit to Neeltje Jans flood barrier is worth a visit. Not sure if you can still anchor and go ashore, but I've heard it has become a theme park.
That barely scratches the surface. If you can; visit Grevelingen, Haringvliet, Dordrecht, Gouda and onwards.it is tidal and the barge/ at nrimpen. B4 gouda

sailorman

Visit site
I cleared in at the office by the ferry terminal. There's a handy place to stop just past the lock into the canal. Otherwise, it's a long walk from the marina.futch/belgian shengen forms are an online downloada, we fid sn extensive tour in 2015

Suggest rather than Gravelines, enter the EU at Nieuwpoort where the immigration office is at the marina. Or Oostende where it’s about a 10-min walk from the RNSYC marina.
Zeeland is a lovely area, can’t honestly say don’t go to any particular place. We usually make Middelberg our first stop in Holland.
Veere, the Veersmeer, Goes, Zeirikzee, the Grevelingenmeer and its islands, Wilhelmstadt, and all manner of little places in betwe

en, all good.you missed out zuirekzee.

sailorman

Visit site
Zeeland is many East-coasters' first or early experience of abroad, and has the merit of giving the crew, often young, a sheltered week or two. I agree that Ostend would make a better starting-off point, as we first did in 1980. If the weather is right then Breskens or Flushing would be better, though I am out of touch with access to eurononsense. My general rule is that Holland, as I choose to call it, gets better the further north you go, and also that it makes for a more relaxing cruise to go as far as you want as early as possible and make your way home slowly. However, Middleberg is a nice place and a good place to get into the Dutch mood. The Versemeer can get a bit trippery but a night or three on one of the islands can be very relaxing. I don't know the Grevelingen well but have enjoyed a few nights there. The Haringvliet is more interesting to my eyes and there are several interesting places there. Willemstad has character, and the older marina is where we have always stayed. Not often visited, Middleharnis has great charm and is comparable to the larger Goes mentioned above, It is yonks since we went to Hellevoetsluis, but we used to enjoy going there.

When negotiating Zeeland there are numerous bridges and locks, so it makes sense to get all the information about opening times to hand. There is something of an art in getting through these potential obstructions without being trampled on by the locals, but you'll lear knowing ones air draught is very usefull/ ressuring💪

As others have said, Zeeland is lovely. There's lots of variety and good sailing. For tidal waters, the Dutch tidal atlas HP33 is absolutely brilliant. Detailed tide times for the whole country, and even better, really clear tidal stream diagrams for the key areas. It is now available for free as a digital application (NLTides - HP33D (English)) but I will also be buying a paper copy again this year. You should be able to find it reasonably easily once here... not sure if you can get in in UK.

For info on bridges and locks, including closures/problems etc then you can check www.vaarweginformatie.nl. Click on the English translation button, top left, and then click waterways and objects, and it will take you to an interactive map. You can check each specific bridge etc that you're interested in. Check all the various notifications - sometimes closures etc are a bit hidden away. EuRIS - Actual Notices to Skippers on map is also useful but gives ONLY notices out of the ordinary, so you won't find regular openings etc there.

For charts, the ANWB series is very useful. You may need quite a few of them to cover the whole of where you might go but they're hard wearing, and intuitive to read. If you prefer digital, then Waterkaart Live | App met Nederlandse waterkaarten is worthwhile but can be rather cluttered if you're trying to find specific info. The Imray book 'Inland waterways of the Netherlands' is still useful.

My destination tip: Zierikzee on the Oosterschelde is very nice. It can get very crowded, but that's true of everywhere... We managed to get a berth at the sailing club that's before the town centre free-for-all, simply by ringing them up. And if you're planning a loop, and perhaps are up for some industrial scenery, then you could try and get to Doordrecht (you're now in Zuid Holland not Zeeland). Or simply head from the Haringvliet up the Spui (tidal so be aware) and head out via the Maas. Maassluis is a great place to stay the night and then head down past Hoek van Holland/Europoort.

Enjoy the planning!fre enc futch chstts download used yo be availavle onbthe open
Cpn site

sailorman

Visit site
Zeeland is many East-coasters' first or early experience of abroad, and has the merit of giving the crew, often young, a sheltered week or two. I agree that Ostend would make a better starting-off point, as we first did in 1980. If the weather is right then Breskens or Flushing would be better, though I am out of touch with access to eurononsense. My general rule is that Holland, as I choose to call it, gets better the further north you go, and also that it makes for a more relaxing cruise to go as far as you want as early as possible and make your way home slowly. However, Middleberg is a nice place and a good place to get into the Dutch mood. The Versemeer can get a bit trippery but a night or three on one of the islands can be very relaxing. I don't know the Grevelingen well but have enjoyed a few nights there. The Haringvliet is more interesting to my eyes and there are several interesting places there. Willemstad has character, and the older marina is where we have always stayed. Not often visited, Middleharnis has great charm and is comparable to the larger Goes mentioned above, It is yonks since we went to Hellevoetsluis, but we used to enjoy going there.

When negotiating Zeeland there are numerous bridges and locks, so it makes sense to get all the information about opening times to hand. There is something of an art in getting through these potential obstructions without being trampled on by the locals, but you'll learn.
Thr further north oe travels iteventully turns into Holland the dutchperfer to call their country der nedrlnds dankuwell😏

sailorman

Visit site
As others have said, Zeeland is lovely. There's lots of variety and good sailing. For tidal waters, the Dutch tidal atlas HP33 is absolutely brilliant. Detailed tide times for the whole country, and even better, really clear tidal stream diagrams for the key areas. It is now available for free as a digital application (NLTides - HP33D (English)) but I will also be buying a paper copy again this year. You should be able to find it reasonably easily once here... not sure if you can get in in UK.

For info on bridges and locks, including closures/problems etc then you can check www.vaarweginformatie.nl. Click on the English translation button, top left, and then click waterways and objects, and it will take you to an interactive map. You can check each specific bridge etc that you're interested in. Check all the various notifications - sometimes closures etc are a bit hidden away. EuRIS - Actual Notices to Skippers on map is also useful but gives ONLY notices out of the ordinary, so you won't find regular openings etc there.

For charts, the ANWB series is very useful. You may need quite a few of them to cover the whole of where you might go but they're hard wearing, and intuitive to read. If you prefer digital, then Waterkaart Live | App met Nederlandse waterkaarten is worthwhile but can be rather cluttered if you're trying to find specific info. The Imray book 'Inland waterways of the Netherlands' is still useful.

My destination tip: Zierikzee on the Oosterschelde is very nice. It can get very crowded, but that's true of everywhere... We managed to get a berth at the sailing club that's before the town centre free-for-all, simply by ringing them up. And if you're planning a loop, and perhaps are up for some industrial scenery, then you could try and get to Doordrecht (you're now in Zuid Holland not Zeeland). Or simply head from the Haringvliet up the Spui (tidal so be aware) and head out via the Maas. Maassluis is a great place to stay the night and then head down past Hoek van Holland/Europoort.

Enjoy the planning!if going the spui route, b aware you neen tobinform maas traffic control of ur movements👍

Other threads that may be of interest