Your tape measure

Sailfree

Visit site
On building site early in my career we used 100' steel tapes.

The company complained about the cost of replacing damaged ones and sent every site a steel tape repair kit.

About 6 months later HO insisted all tape repair kits were returned to HO.

It was difficult to find out why but info did finally sneak out that on one site a tape had been repaired with 1 foot missing. All dimensions sub 30 feet were accurate but all dimension greater than 30 feet were 1 foot short.

I believe the site slab had to be extended and a few RC columns demolished.

Most interesting problem I encountered was the setting out of the Swanley Bypass n 1964. Engineer completed setting out and next day the Council Resident Engineer checked it and said it was wrong. This was repeated 3 times over a number of days until they realised that although the line and curves looked smooth, first thing in the morning a farmer was moving the lot by eye to give himself more land.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
... one site a tape had been repaired with 1 foot missing. All dimensions sub 30 feet were accurate but all dimension greater than 30 feet were 1 foot short.

As a seventeen year old (so cheap to employ) I got dispatched to remeasure and metricate the grounds maintenance areas on Catterick Garrison in conjunction with a representative of the current landscaping contractor - it hadn't been re-measured in over thirty years - calculating the area of every piece of public/open grass and counting up any obstructions to a ride-on mowing machine therein.
It was always going to be a tedious and soul destroying task but wasn't helped when after working on it for more than a week, I discovered that the 100m tape that we were using (generously provided by the contractor as I only had a 30m one) had an 8m section missing; it went directly from 7 - 16m. What really got me was how they'd done it (apparently an accident) as there was no cut/join/repair evident, just 8-15m missing.
One - possibly the only - thing that I learnt during those weeks was how to accurately pace out distances; no more tape measures for me after that, if the contractor wanted to contest one of my measures, I had a cigarette while he used the tape (mine!) and did it on his own and almost 50 years later I can still pace out distances to an accuracy of 2-3% on flattish ground

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It amazes me people use tape measures for relatively small dimensions, pencils with a 2mm point and expect to get reproducible results.

Stemar

Visit site
That was the official announcement. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Might have been if I had been on the contract
Never leave anything like that to an italian ;)
img