Your favourite UK sailing destination?

burgundyben

Visit site
There's a jewel in the Solent that nobody's mentioned, I'm keeping schtum too.

Dartmouth is up there, Brixham too.

I love St Malo and Honfleur.

Gillan Creek and Scilly still on my list.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
No one has yet mentioned Caladh Harbour, Bute. Lovely anchorage.
Not bad, if you can get in. A bit cramped and busy. More space here in Handa Sound...

FbsVKlM.jpg

lustyd

Visit site
For me it's got to be sailing into Loch Fyne in the dark on a moonless night in October. I've never seen that kind of dark, especially at 6 knots. Scillies are nice too in the summer, but Loch Fyne for sure is best UK.
Near UK Arklow and Peel are right up there, and Sark is just stunning

Bathdave

Visit site
Jersey has an excellent bus service, which makes it a good base for a few days or more. I have found the harbour staff helpful too, especially when I needed to dry out on two occasions.
The secret to appreciating jersey is getting away from st Helier !

as well as the excellent buses, there are now lots of electric bikes you can hire, pick and and drop off all over the place

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Strangford Lough.

I agree.

We chose a shallow draught vessel for many reasons, exploring the quieter parts of Strangford Lough one of them.

Audley's Roads is a great anchorage, the Clubs at Ringhaddy and Ballydorn make one very welcome plus many of my adventures as a young motorbike racer were carried out nearby, banging handlebars with the boys around the Saintfield and Killinchy circuits.

First Mate and I have been planning a return but next year looks more likely now.

You could easily spend a month in Strangford Lough and not see it all ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
While I'd agree about the Sound of Iona, Tinkers Hole is one of the ugliest quarries I've seen.
Quarries? Tinker's Hole? There is an old quarry at Bull Hole (Tormore) but Tinker's Hole is just a space between rocks off Erraid, isn't it? Not that I have ever been in, as it always seems to be crowded. Seven yachts in there last time I passed - the Curse of Antares strikes again.

dgadee

Visit site
Just looking at the adverts for cruises in the Sunday papers. Every available cruise ship seems to be going to the west coast of Scotland. It will be full this year. You'll all have to find somewhere else to go.

westhinder

Visit site
For some it’s all about the destination, for me it’s about being at sea and the joy of being afloat whatever the destination and of course a safe arrival
Absolutely agree. The nicest destination would soon lose its appeal if the time spent getting there wasn’t a joy in itself. But sailing to new and beautiful places adds another dimension. Travelling aboard for longer than just two or three weeks adds yet another layer, IMHO.
Of course, if your home waters are stunning cruising grounds like the Scilly Islands or the West coast of Scotland, I can imagine the urge to travel is less.