Youngsters are at it agin

Dyflin

Visit site
Second Teen Vies for 'Youngest Around the World'

While American teen Zac Sunderland (born November 29, 1991) tries for the title of 'Youngest sailor around the world' and follows the rolling seas across the Indian Ocean with a repaired tiller and a splinted broken boom, a second young sailor, British teen Mike Perham is about to set sail to vie for same title.

Until Mike joined the 'race', Zac merely had to complete his journey by January 2010 to become the youngest circumnavigator - now he will have to finish before March next year, Mike's intended finish time, to claim the title. As Mike is
Zac - .. .
108 days younger than Zac, even if Zac arrives first his record as the youngest circumnavigator could be very short lived. If Mike arrives first Zac will never achieve his title goal.

However, it's not over until it's over, and Zac has so far proved a hardy and inventive sailor.

Mike (born 16 March 1992), first hit the headlines when he arrived in Antigua in January 2007 aged 14, having just crossed the Atlantic on his own and so became the youngest solo sailor to cross the Atlantic. His father crossed the Atlantic at the same time in a separate boat.

Now Mike's Dad Peter, has chartered an Open 50 racing yacht. This is a far cry from the comparatively modest 36-foot long sailboat 'Intrepid' which Zac is sailing. Mike's boat is being managed by world class French sailor Servane Escoffier. She is also training and preparing Mike for the voyage.

There's no lack of back up. Financial Services broker TotallyMoney.com are sponsoring Michael, and the 50 ft comparatively high tech boat, appropriately named Totallymoney, was on display to the public at the recent Southampton boat show.

Michael, who receives overwhelming support from his parents for these ventures, is looking forward to the journey.
'I reckon it's going to be fantastic,' he told London Today 'I can't wait to leave. 'The feeling of being out on the ocean is the greatest that you can have. I can't get enough of it.

Michael's aim is to leave this Sunday. However, this will depend on final equipment checks to the boat, which are out of his hands. 'I am galvanising all my energy to leave on that date, but it's only 50:50 at the moment,' he told the Times. 'What's most important is that the boat is perfect.'

He and his father have so far raised over US$254,000 for the anticipated four-month journey, but he is still hoping for a further $63,000 U.S. to help pay for more communications equipment.

Australian David Dicks currently holds the title of 'Youngest sailor around the world' a feat he achieved in 1996.

by Nancy Knudsen 5:13 AM Thu 30 Oct 2008 GMT

http://www.sail-world.com/cruising/index.cfm?nid=50335&rid=11

MoodySabre

Visit site
I think it's all a bit pointless and is a by-product of the "cult of celebrity" thing. Lewis Hamilton being the youngest F1 world champion doesn't make him the best driver and these sailing youngsters won't be the best sailors. Yes they may cope with things that I couldn't, yes they may get lucky, yes they may have a fatal capsize in the Southern Ocean and people will say was he too young and inexperienced etc.

Is it a coincidence that he wants to leave on the same day as the Vendee Globe sets off or is he looking for company?

I can understand speed records but not this. Good luck to them anyway.

Woodlouse

Visit site
If he's hoping for company from the Vendee globe then he'd best set off well ahead of them. I wouldn't be suprised if the new Open 60's are capable of maintaining speeds of double what Mikes vintage open 50 is can do.

I still don't really know what the kids father is hoping to achieve, sending his 16 year old son into the southern ocean in a boat that powerful. I'll be amazed if he makes it beyond Australia.

tjfmmaes

Visit site
I am not normally someone who puts people down who are doing stuff I don't/can't/won't , but, if this is anything to go by:

[QUOTE from YBW news article]
"Zac, 16, immediately called his father, Laurence, in Los Angeles, California. "I was thankful that we had decided to put the cutter stay in because its presence obviously saved the rig," wrote Laurence, who told his eldest son to tie both spinnaker halyards to the bow to stabilise the mast.

"From midnight to 3:00 a.m. he wrestled with his situation. What made this all the more awkward was the fact that he was unable to furl (wind in) his genoa.""[END QUOTE]

1) he phoned his father from the middle of the ocean ....
2) he didn't know that the best thing is to use halyards as replacement stays
3) he couldn't lasso the furling drum, tie it down and drop the genoa
4) You could then assume he didn't know to go on a run (turn before the wind ;-) ) to keep the mast from falling backwards.

This all does smack a little of too much hype, not enough substance. But then again, I haven't been there either.

Tom

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i wish the lad well
can do nothing else for any sailor setting out on any journey
i just hope he is following his own dream
and its not his father vicariuosly fulfilling his own

on a trip to lanzarote with a certain forumite i re-read ellen's first book and decided all single solos are definitely cut from a different cloth. and some are from a totally different loom.

but crowhurst proved people can be pressured to sea. emotional, financial, pride whatever

the best results and safety come from those wo are in it to prove and test themselves. not other people.
i just hope the lad has that belief that this is what he wants to do
because that is what carries you on when the mucky brown stuff hits the fan.