You know you've got too much money when .....

Bristolfashion

Visit site
You can afford to leave the swanky sails on your new looking Arcona 410 flapping around in the sun for days!

(Yep, next to us at the moment - head & main out & proud, and they look like rather expensive racing type sails)

Any other indicators that there's just a bit too much cash in the boat fund?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
....you have TWO full time berths on the South Coast - just 'cos you like both places (yep, just met a chap on a big motorboat that has this)

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
You can afford to leave the swanky sails on your new looking Arcona 410 flapping around in the sun for days!

(Yep, next to us at the moment - head & main out & proud, and they look like rather expensive racing type sails)

Any other indicators that there's just a bit too much cash in the boat fund?

Did you secure the sails?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I'll let you know when I've got too much money.

Don't hold your breath! :D

It might be too much money, or it may be one of those cases where someone has good reason to dash off urgently, expecting to be back the next day to sort whatever is left undone, and then circumstances conspire to significantly delay that return.

Aja

Visit site
It always has been in the world of leisure. Pretty sure Pepys didn't write about the wretched debating eating or sailing.
I know there has always been the luxury, expensive end of the sport, but post war there was a huge explosion with the advent of spare time, new materials etc., so in the UK at least it always hasn't been a luxury pastime as I now think it is.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Putting the mainsail cover on is invariably the next task once the boat is reasonably secure and engine turned off

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
Don’t know about ‘too much” money but we had a small win on the premium bonds this month ( do people still call them Ernie?) and we are currently having a debate what to spend it on. Part of me says I should order the bits for the autopilot upgrade as per this, ST6002 Display Fault
Her lady ship wants to do something about our cooking facilities onboard ( of which I shall ask some questions later).
The really rash side of me suggests having a meal at The Jane in Antwerp where we will be next week The Jane Antwerp

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Putting the mainsail cover on is invariably the next task as once the boat is reasonably secure and engine turned off
That's what I think - I've stopped it flapping around, but there's no cover in sight - main halyard still attached.

The furling jib sail appears to be off and a hanked on, expensive looking sail is lying on the deck - it was partly "secured" under the tender.

Fenders are attached, but not actually between the hull & pontoon.

What is going on?

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Maybe it was some kind of emergency

A friend had a stroke barely ten minutes after arriving at the welcome pontoon of a Portuguese marina, I don’t think packing it away properly was a consideration at the time.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I'm reminded of the time, decades ago, that I was sailing back to the East Coast on a friend's boat after a long cruise to Brest during which we'd be joined by various family and friends for different periods. My friend had become very down and was getting increasingly stressed by 'family' issues going on via calls ashore, so while we were overnighting in a South Coast port I volunteered to sail his boat back to its home port with my then neophyte sailor girlfriend so he could go home and deal with it all.

Some days and various adventures later my girlfriend and I arrived back at his home marina in the late afternoon. I can't remember why now, but for some reason it would be a great advantage to me and my girlfriend to get home, on the other side of the country, that particular night. I therefore trusted that my friend, who lived not far from the marina and would no doubt be down to his boat in a few days, would forgive me for not finishing tidying the lines on deck and various evidence of our month or more cruise below, and we dashed off in a great hurry.

Fate intervened, however. My friend's family issues worsened (eventually leading to divorce) and took over his life for a time, and he then went abroad to work, and he paid or otherwise arranged for others to move the boat to a mud berth further up the river. It was several years later that he was back living in England and I went with him to the mud berth to get the boat out of mothballs, and remove not just the stuff he'd left behind on that last trip, but also mountains of stuff the boat had accumulated in an earlier phase of long distance cruising. As we went aboard it was like a time warp, the lines on deck still needed tidying, and going below the tea towel was in exactly the same spot I had put it down on the counter years earlier.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I came on board a friend's syndicate boat - the previous users had left a full-to-bursting holding tank that was very blocked. Apparently, words were said at the next syndicate meeting!