Yes! we made it to Scilly's

BartW

www.amptec.be
the locals, I'm told, don't like it to be called "the Scillies

well
one of the harbour workers in Newlyn called it the "sillies"
I'am not sure if it was a joke, a local dialect, or a regional name for this area :confused:
perhaps somebody on here knows

BartW

www.amptec.be
You must be seriously fed up with the Med

you know I'm not, :)

while I really enjoyed the trip to cornwall, the people and the area,
(in contrast with my visit to SIBS and Brighton and eastborne last year by car)

I look forward to my trip to SOF,

but Kroatia still remains my preferred cruising ground,
while I do agree with most of your comments in your thread about that. ;)

Allan

Visit site
I saw the box on the back of your boat when you were moored near the pilot boat in Falmouth. I'm glad I read this thread as I have been wondering what could be in it. We were on the pontoon a couple of boats up from you on a yacht called Little Bear. We went around to Newlyn on Thursday, before setting off for Cardiff on Friday.
Allan

BartW

www.amptec.be
We went around to Newlyn on Thursday

then I do regret even more that I didn't cruise my boat down, in stead of towing her to Penzance,
but honestly speaking, I was very much afraid of the sea state of the open sea around Lizard Point. On wednesday there was a F5-F6 prediction,

on the other hand I was surprised how sheltered Falmouth and penzance are for westerly winds.

during the passage to scillie, while there was little wind,(F3...) I was impressed by the long and high waves (non breaking)
causes by bad weather further away in the Atlantic Ocean, or from the day before...
this was a exiting and interesting discovery

we left Newlyn to scilly on thursday morning around 10am,
and back in Newlyn friday around 4pm,
we must have crossed again :)

Allan

Visit site
We were surprised that the waves had dropped so quickly after the winds predicted for Tuesday. It was flat to the east of the Lizard, as we expected, on Wednesday. When we rounded it didn't get a lot worse and in Mounts bay again it was quite flat. I think the fact there was quite a lot of north in the wind helped. We left Newlyn at 6am on Thursday and although it was a bit confused off Longships, it was fine all the way up the coast to Lundy. We arrived at 11pm, by which time the wind had gone around a few degrees more to the north west. I'm glad you too had a good passage, I'm still gobsmacked that I got paid for such a good sail!
Allan

longjohnsilver

Visit site
3 of us started with a dry suit, but when my friends zipper broke, I borrowed him mine, and then I used my spare wetsuit (too tall for my friend)
brrrr that was cold

Looks like a good time was had Bart. The sea's almost at its warmest now.....

On your Bauer what's the small black box on the left? Almost looks like an electrical accessory but I can see it's a petrol model (I have one too). Hope you enjoyed Scilly, fabulous place. And Falmouth offers some good diving as you found out.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Hi LJS I was expecting you on here ;)
yes the 3 area's we visisted,
-Falmouth bay and manacles,
-Penzance and Lands end,
-Scillie,
are different,
you're right,
each of them is worth a individual diving exploration, and a nice cruising area aswell

On your Bauer what's the small black box on the left? Almost looks like an electrical accessory but I can see it's a petrol model (I have one too)

my Bauer was originally running on a monophase 230V electric motor, but I never achieved to get a 230V generator on the VP D3's powerfull enough for the Compressor,
I've placed the petrol engine only two weeks ago

In that black box I have a Timer that switches the electrical water draining valves at start up, and 3 seconds every 15 minutes.
these retrofitted valves work on 230V,
12V DC would have been better, but I made this when the 230V electric engine was driving the compressor

On the side of this box I have placed a switch to activate this water draining timer,
and an extra switch to activate the fans in the compressor case.
these two switches are accesable from the outside of the Case, protected with a small waterproof cover

The compressor can easyly be lifted out of its case, then the black box comes out with it, the connection for the fans can be unplugged with a standard 230V plug on the side of this blackbox.

where were you?
have you been around in Cornwall ?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
The compressor can easyly be lifted out of its case

Hmm, you must be somewhat stronger than me!!

In the insulated case do you find that it keeps cool enough?

Sorry not to bump into you, we've been in Dartmouth on our mooring for the last month or so. However I did manage to catch 2 good sized cod

BoatholidayAugust2010001.jpg

Both under the same rock, used a handspear on the first and the second I just guided him out with my hand in his gills. Good sport, 1 dover sole, 1 crab, 2 cod and about 4 dozen scallops from the one dive, just about my most memorable in 30yrs of diving!

Here's another of a few scallops picked up from the same area

boatsummer2006043.jpg

If you come bak make sure you visit Lyme Bay, the diving there is truly superb!

BartW

www.amptec.be
The compressor can easyly be lifted out of its case

Hmm, you must be somewhat stronger than me!!

well I didn't say I can do it all alone :)

In the insulated case do you find that it keeps cool enough?

no it doesn't,
the case was meant to remain close during operation, but then it all gets too hot when the compressor reaches 200 bar.
So we used it with an open hatch.

we investigated and discussed and have now an idea how to make the case so that it can be used with closed hatch, and produce the case from alum. to make it lighter, and look better, probably with a little less sound reduction.

will let you know when it is ready and tested !

BartW

www.amptec.be
Both under the same rock, used a handspear on the first and the second I just guided him out with my hand in his gills. Good sport, 1 dover sole, 1 crab, 2 cod and about 4 dozen scallops from the one dive, just about my most memorable in 30yrs of diving!

now you make me jalous again,
I thought we had a good catch :eek:

If you come bak make sure you visit Lyme Bay, the diving there is truly superb!

we will put Lyme Bay on the wish list
thanks for posting !

longjohnsilver

Visit site
now you make me jalous again,
I thought we had a good catch :eek:

we will put Lyme Bay on the wish list
thanks for posting !

Just make sure you come back! And you're the one we should be thanking for posting Bart, some of the best on here. And plenty of super photos. Thanks.

ReneJK

Visit site
Hi Bart

Another brilliant report and pictures.

Not sure I would like to tow my Karnic all over Europe. You make it look so easy
I may one day try it myself

Martin
OT warning
Hi Martin,
just get yourself a good trailer (Bart and I both use a Harbeck 3.5 Ton aluminium trailer) with a proper car and off you go :)
after a while you will forget its behind you until you reach some roadworks in Germany, Austria , Slo etc where they tend to make the roads a lot smaller while working on it