Yanmar 3YM30 Alternator - heads up!

alan

Visit site
Hi All,
I was looking for a spare alternator for my 3YM30 and saw that Yanmar dealers in the UK are askinh £571 for them ...................... are they gold plated or what??

After looking around I found the same Hitachi alternator for £155 ..... yes, £155 ................... with the correct orientation of mounting bracket, same connectors, non-isolated earth etc.

I found it at www.westlancsautoelectrics.co.uk

I called them and the nice friendly guy there told me they did not have one in stock but they were expecting one in about two weeks. Lo and behold two weeks later the guy e-mailed me and said that they now have it in stock if I was still interested.
They also repair alternators - which was no good to me as I wanted a spare and also am based in Italy.

No connection with them whatsoever, but impressed by their friendliness and willingness to try and help.

So, if you need an alternator (or starter motor) or want one repaired, give them a try.

Alan.

Spyro

Visit site
It's the great Yanmar rip off. They buy a load of Hitachi alternators stick them in a Yanmar box and give them a Yanmar part no and add 300% to the price. I love my yanmar but they are taking the piss with this.

no3l

Visit site
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the information.
Did you get a reference/model number for the Hitachi unit, it would be great to have the reference for the future?
NL

Spyro

Visit site
The alternators fitted by yanmar are hitachi alternators they still have the hitachi name and model no on them. had to get a new one for my 2GM20 last year. cost me £125.

charles_reed

Visit site
The last Hitachi replacement alternator (non OEM) I got for my 3YM20, was in Agrinio and cost €79.
The Hitachi alternators are grievously under-cooled and after cooking 3, trying to use them with an external controller, I've reverted to just using the on-board one.
The longest lasting alternator I've ever had was a 110 amp Magnetti Marelli - it did 7 years and two engines.
I've just got one as a spare - £140.
Yanmar (or rather Barrus, their UK distributor) have a policy of overpricing their parts - I sourced a Johnson raw-water pump, which cost me £116, (the pressed steel pulley which I had to get from the Yanmar agent was £46) - the comparable Yanmar unit is £280.
Anything on offer from Yanmar UK can be obtained for considerably less money from the OEM. Just look at the prices of Yanmar parts in the US.

Spyro

Visit site
It does seem to be an abuse of their monopoly. I'm surprised they can get away with it. Anyone know if anything could be done about it?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The Hitachi alternators are grievously under-cooled and after cooking 3, trying to use them with an external controller, I've reverted to just using the on-board one.

I've not had a problem with my 80A alternators on my two 3YM30s but they did seem to get rather hot in the Med so I removed the cowling over the pulley to try and optimise the air draw through the alternator body. I don't know whether this helps but they're both working fine after 3000 hours.

Richard

Spyro

Visit site
Just get parts from OEM and let Yanmar keep their overpriced parts. Maybe sometime they will get cheaper.

As previous poster said I don't think we can blame Yanmar it seems to be the importer ( EP Barrus) that set the prices. I think I've read before that all parts in the uk have to come through them.