Yanmar 1GM10 starting query

Slinky Spring

Visit site
I have tried all sorts to get my engine started. Long story but always get it going eventually. All efforts have included having full revs on the engine.
Friday I forgot to put any revs on and it started first turn. Is this because it was so warm or have I been doing it wrong all this time.
I'm sure the manual specifies full revs.
Any thoughts?

earlybird

Visit site
A 2GM20 I owned started from cold very easily with a small throttle opening. It could be quite reluctant if opened up too much, or if I'd been turning it over with the de-compressors open for any reason. It was less fussy when warm.

agurney

agurney.com
Manual has - for cold weather starting use the High Speed position (injection timing is delayed) and use the decompression lever. Doesn't say anything about warm weather. There are also recommendations about stopping the engine - RTFM.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
These little engines are very good starters.I had one for 8 years and it always started at the touch of the button with only a little bit of throttle .I never tried it in really cold weather though.We don't get that here.

Tranona

Visit site
Not sure why you are using full "throttle". Never seen that recommended. Mine always starts first time with a bit of throttle from cold and none when warm. In cold weather I sometimes turn it over for a couple of seconds with the decompressor up to circulate the oil and then start.

JeffBoath

Visit site
Try around 1/3rd throttle, ensure the cable for the pull to stop is correctly adjusted. If it's still a problem check the exhaust mixing elbow which may allow water into the head if the inner is corroded. For what it costs it's probably worth getting your injector serviced as well. (around £25ish).

cliffordpope

Visit site
Another advantage of only using about1/3 throttle at max is if the push button is out of reach of the throttle lever. Then when it starts it can run at a fast idle without your having to rush to the throttle to stop it racing.

They are known for a tendency to spit backwards sometimes on starting, or give a final backwards cough when stopping, which can draw water back into the engine. I read that it is advised to start with the seacock closed, then open the moment it starts, and similarly to close the cock first before stopping.

fastjedi

Visit site
Agreed ... 1/3 throttle. If the injector hasn't been serviced for a good few years that could well be the cause of starting difficulties