Yanmar 1gm 10 starting backwords!

Tranona

Visit site
Pal of mine has 1GM ... he had poor starting and quite often it would 'rebound' and fire ... when it ran - it was 'lumpy' - but as far as I know it didn't run backwards.

He is a 'tinkerer' and decided to have a go at it ... he found that the strange little pump gadget was only really working partly ... it seems to be a particular design only on Yanmar .... he tried getting it to pump ... but failed.
I posted about this part on here quite a while back ....

Anyone have an injection pump - YSE12

In the end after he'd dismantled the engine ... and then had no solution - he found a second hand engine for LESS than the cost of a new pump !!

Fitted it and he's now very happy.

Just commenting.
Bit confused here. First you say it is a 1GM, then a YSE12. although both are Yanmars they are totally different engines (and pumps.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. Have heard that shims can be damaged/worn though. A previous thread says that when elbow is leaking, the engine can take a gulp of water on shut off. That itself could be issue here. Will try starting here with new elbow anyway.
The shims can only be damaged if the pump is removed and then the shims taken off as they tend to get stuck and need prising off. This is what happened with mine as I needed to get the case stripped for blasting and repairing/painting. Measured the shims and bought exact replacements. In normal use there is no reason ever to remove the pump, nor can the shims wear.

You are right the engine can suck water back in when it stops. Not sure replacing the elbow will change the starting problem which, as already suggested is more likely to be poor compression. This could be a poorly seating exhaust valve caused by water getting in.

B27

Visit site
I would guess the shims can't wear, but the pump, cam, cam follower, camshaft bearings can all wear?
Will that wear generally make the timing earlier or later?

To actually run backwards, would need the 'down side' of the injection cam to drive the pump to inject fuel near the top of what should be the power stroke?

lexi

Visit site
That Rubber o ring sits around the injector body to form a dust seal at the top of the hole opening.
Yanmar still want ten quid for a nitrile o ring!

RogerJolly

Visit site
Some idle musings/questions of little use, sorry:

With the engine running backwards, are the inlet and exhaust ports effectively swapped over (which can happen as the fuel doesn’t come in with the air)?

If so, how do we know the engine will normally run the right way?

Is it by tweaking the fuel injection point - later means less likely to start backwards? Guess this will translate to an early injection running backwards, so that would seem to suggest an immediate kick back to normal direction.

Cheers

dukeofted

Visit site
As the injector wears, the firing pressure can lower, this would give the same result as advancing the timing and make it more likely to start backwards. The original poster has had their injector checked and it was all ok so it shouldn't be that. It's a shame as I had the exact same issue and it was the injector in my case!

lexi

Visit site
Nice to hear your comments guys. The short spells of running backwards has destroyed the new air filter. I have good strong compression against the starting handle. I have a suspicion of the combustion chamber under injector also. Genuine Head gasket £80 quid ( ouch) should head need to come off. I might put an aftermarket one on. A new head was fitted years ago and has had freshwater use only since. May try to get the first copper washer off and the heat washer under it first with head still on Have read that the first copper washer should be renewed every time the injector is removed..........mine certainly hasnt! .There is a method of crushing fuse wire in the combustion chamber and measuring the gap. This is all providing my timing marks are lining up ok.

Tranona

Visit site
Measuring the gap with fuse wire is to check the distance between the piston crown and the head. Too big a gap indicates the con rod is bent. It does not tell you anything about poor compression from leaky valves.

dave_gibsea

Visit site
I had this problem, its probably air leaking on the fuel system. Change bleed screw plastic washers, the secondary fuel filter housing can be a problem too, I changed mine and its been fine since. A battery that's not giving its full cranking power is also possible cause.
A squirt of easy-start is better than a running backwards engine but its not recommend as proper fix.

lexi

Visit site
Ok boat all cleaned, lets see with timing. Looking into the front timing cover opening( this has one) there are a double set of marks and another single mark about 15 deg above it. My injector is popping fuel at the point in between those separate sets of marks. What marks should pointer be timed to?

lexi

Visit site
I think the marks I am seeing are a single mark which is the 15DdBTDC and the other mark which looks like a double mark, is probably a mark and then a T below it which is TDC. ATM it looks as though my mark is past the pointer when my injector pops fuel. I will clean marks again with some solvent and check again to make sure. I think the marks are the same through the window in bellhousing as they are at other side when starter is removed. I think you could time it without removing Injector or breaking any fuel lines.
You can hear when the Injector pops in there quite easily. It sounds like a stiff spring giving a loud squeak.

lexi

Visit site
It turns out that my injector is firing halfway between TDC and 15deg BTDC. That equates to 7 deg out! I have checked with starter out, and it is the same through the window facing aft. The shims only move timing 1deg. If this was a car you would think cam belt had jumped a tooth. Could the pump be a tooth out in there?

lexi

Visit site
Just to come back on this one. I timed the fuel pump at the delivery valve rather than the injector. It seemed the same. On reading about the importance of delivery valve torque, I did it up to the 30 ft lb nominal figure. It did tighten a touch before my wrench clicked. It now times around the mark now with fuel just coming up the valve. With this done and new elbow I have at least some hope it may start now. Try later in week.

14K478

Visit site
The Doxford big ship diesel engine was well known for starting in the wrong direction. Big ship crosshead diesels are direct coupled, with no gear box or clutch, so you stop the engine and start it again, going backwards, to reverse, but the Doxford would sometimes start in the direction that suited it at the time. Piers and jetties around the world, but particularly in the South Pacific, the stamping ground of two British companies, Bank Line and CNCo, both of which favoured Doxfords, bear witness to this...

Biggles Wader

Visit site
The Doxford big ship diesel engine was well known for starting in the wrong direction. Big ship crosshead diesels are direct coupled, with no gear box or clutch, so you stop the engine and start it again, going backwards, to reverse, but the Doxford would sometimes start in the direction that suited it at the time. Piers and jetties around the world, but particularly in the South Pacific, the stamping ground of two British companies, Bank Line and CNCo, both of which favoured Doxfords, bear witness to this...
Message to head office---------Vessel contacted wharf at Yandina------Demolished same. :p

14K478

Visit site
Message to head office---------Vessel contacted wharf at Yandina------Demolished same. :p
This snap of a CNCo C/K class (with Doxford!) is thought to have been taken at Yandina, but nobody, peering back to the 1960´s through a haze of Gordon’s and Schweppes, is quite sure, now!IMG_4056.jpeg

Biggles Wader

Visit site
This snap of a CNCo C/K class (with Doxford!) is thought to have been taken at Yandina, but nobody, peering back to the 1960´s through a haze of Gordon’s and Schweppes, is quite sure, now!View attachment 167968
Looks very much like Yandina. I went there as a teenager and steered the ship alongside as part of my steering certificate. No pilot and no tugs there, just a bloke in a rowing boat to take a line ashore. The wharf was tiny and we would winch the ship fore and aft to get it alongside the required hatch for loading copra(very slowly). I still can't quite believe that people like me used to get paid to amble round the world and visit places like that. It couldnt last, and it didnt!