Yamaha 8HP 4 stroke, fitting remote choke?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
We have a Yamaha 8HP 4 stroke (F8 I believe) in a well with electric start and remote control. All good. But it has manual choke on the motor, so starting from cold requires the hatch over the well opened to access the choke. Not an issue you need that open on first start to open the tank vent etc.

Where it is a problem is when you have been sailing for a while and the wind blows up and you want to put a reef in, and it would be handy to start the motor to motor into wind to do that, but the motor is cold and needs a bit of choke.

So has anyone fitted a remote choke? I have not found a "kit" for sale but it can't be that difficult can it? I am thinking of a purely mechanical remote using some form of bowden cable. Any ideas?

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
AT 1st glance it seems a very simple problem to solve, but (as you know fine) looking into the detail involved, adds a lot of 'stuff'.
My initial thought is to add the front brake mechanism from a bicycle, and clamping it to the choke mechanism externally with a bit of 'rigging'? As you say, a Bowden cable type of mod. It'd probably be a more simple mod if one were to convert it fully, so that the choke could now only be operated from the cockpit, alongside the other controls?
Sorry Dave, almost no help at all, but it's got me thinking on a Saturday morn...... (y)

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I do know there appeared to be an electric option, along the lines of push the key in when starting engages a solenoid to operate the choke, but a) that is probably lots of ££££ and b) I don't think our key has that push in function so more £££ (or a separate button)

I will take a look and some photos when I am next there to see if it triggers any thought.

An old school lawnmower control that had the choke up on the handle would do?