yamaha 5hp info needed

G

I have purchased a second hand 5hp yam and would like any info regarding the maintenance/servicing. it is over 6 yrs old and does not appear to have a tell tale when running. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Paul Lynch

hlb

RIP
Visit site
When it's running it goes. Put, Put, put. When it's not it goes OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. So when you get the Put, Put , put. Sound. It's Ok but when get no sound, it's. Knackered!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

oldgit

Visit site
What ever H is on I want some.
Seriously I would be very reluctant to run your outboard without some sign that cooling water is going throught system.Prob impellor is knackered Check first.Very simple job on most egg whisk size outboards.Normally down at propellor end of shaft.

Hard work never did anyone any good.You die from it.

Col

Visit site
The tell tale is very small and easily blocked.
Look under the powerhead at the back, you should se a protrusion about the size of a grease nipple, just poke it out with a needle or suitable bit of wire.
This should restore putt-putt-putt / squirt-squirt-squirt .

c_j

Visit site
Salt blocks up the tupe and what is a stream turns to a trickle and then nowt.

You can get some muff thingies with hose attachment whci allows you to flush with fresh water after use.

Same muff thingies can be used to flush out blockage but you really need to use at trickle stage not nowt stage.

Never heard it called a tell tale before.

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

www.stone.uk.com

BarryH

Visit site
Those five horse yamahahahaha's have a fresh water flushing fitting in the tool kit. Theres a brass blanking plug in the back of the block,which is actually the head I think! Screw the flushing fitting in ther and connect a hose to it, turn on tap and walk away for er....at least 15 mins. If its got a lot of salt in there connect hose to the hot tap cos it dissolves the salt quicker.

James

Visit site
Is it actually water cooled?
I have a 5hp Yam (but older) and it is air cooled, only uses water to cool the exhaust leg.
When you said you couldn't see a tell-tale, I didn't know if you meant couldn't see the actual tube, or could see it, but couldn't see the water coming out. If the latter, don't run it - fix it.
Regards

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Air cooled

I think the Yam 5hp was a one off in being air cooled, makes it noisy but I believe from reports that it's still a good engine.