Yachtmaster Prep in the Solent - Recommendations?

Salty

Visit site
Does anyone have recommendations for a good crowd to do my Yachtmaster Prep/exam with? From searching this forum atsailing seems to have popular support. Any others I should consider? Or perhaps more importantly, avoid? Thanks in advance.

Goodge

Visit site
Re: Yachmaster Prep in the Solent - Recommendations?

I did mine with Hamble Sailing School about 3 years ago.

Good instructor, good quality yacht (Dufour 36 Classic), too much food and the preparation was pretty much spot on.

You'll also get a good deal if you book at SIBS in a week or so time

Salty

Visit site

Thanks for that. Yes, I was thinking of getting a deal done at SIBS, hence getting the lowdown before hand!

ridgy

Visit site
I used Southern. Tired Sadler 34 but they put you in dicky situations and don't care if you crash it. They worked us really hard, till 9 or 10pm most nights. Very sociable skipper. Great stuff.

MidlandsOnSea

Visit site
Southern Sailing are streets ahead of other sailing schools I used. Their methods, instructors, and the experience you get are quite simply on a different level to the others. You'll enjoy it, whetaver your current experience. Only downside is that their boats are not exactly shining examples of modern yachting - as they would be the first to admit. It does mean they don't mind letting people run aground, try parking in tricky spaces, and generally do the sort of stuff that more protective schools might be adverse to trying.

H4B

Visit site

Southern Sailing - good outfit and not too precious with their boats you will almost certainly experience a grounding or two during the week . Someone always manages to find Hamble point irresistible during blind pilotage quite sobbering , the instuctor ensures a rising tide ofcourse. Highly recommend (no connection)

Formaldehyde

Visit site

I used Southern Sailing, highly recommend them. Boats are old, but you run aground and pontoon bash with gay abandon! Good instructor, long days, but plenty of experience gained.

Aeolus_IV

Visit site

Did mine that with Hamble School of Sailing (a.k.a. Hamble School of Eating), roughly the same time as Goodge, probably on the very same yacht. The instructor was excellent, though I can't remember his name for the life of me.

Regards,
Jeff.

flaming

Visit site

Another vote for Hamble School of eating!

georgeo

Visit site

I used Moonleet sailing based in Poole, but all the prep was done in the solent. New Bavaria 36. Noel is a bit of a tartar but the prep was excellent, and I did the exam on the boat (included in deal) with 3 guys doing competent crew as help (plus the other candidate). Noel gives you an 'assessment' 3 days before the exam as to whether he thinks one is up to it. He can be pretty frank! Long days too, I think we only made the pub once

onlyme

Visit site

Try Christchurch Yachting, I know its just out of the solent, but John is a fantastic instructor offering good advice with plenty of patience. Over the last twelve months all of our family has undertaken live aboard training with them and none of us have a bad word to say about the experiences.

try http://www.christchurchyachting.co.uk/ for more info.

best of luck with your YM

Paul G.

Salty

Visit site

Thanks all for your help. I shall do some phoning round while SIBS is on - and let you know if I pass!