Yachtmaster MOB Method?

goeasy123

Visit site
How pedantic are Yachtmaster examiners about the method used for MOB.

Me and my wife prefer the drift-on method, but I hear examiners want to see another method that just won't work for us. It involves too much unnecessary F.... A... with sails for my wife to single hand if I go in. Also, any method that involves sailing up to a MOB is prone to risk as, on our boat, neither of us can see the MOB over the high bow. Drift-up solves this problem and it's typically much faster than other methods.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I can't answer for examiners, but on my Coastal Skipper practical we were encouraged to have knowledge of, and practise/demonstrate, a range of techniques - there are none that suit all circumstances - and choose one that fits the current challenge and be able to justify our choice.

p.s. To directly address what you have written: our instructor would have said 'And what would you do if/when the engine fails?'.

William_H

Visit site
Sadly you must use the method described in the documentation for Yacht Master to be sure to gain a pass. My experience regarding method of gybing a main sail as dictated by Yachting Australia is difficult to do on my boat but examiners are pedantic about following the book. Of course when sailing I do it my way on my boat. In reality you should use the method best suited to you as found by lots of practice picking up a float. ol'will

Newboy6458

Visit site
What Ol Will says. Similar things happen in other technical sports where you train for the exam and not real life as it happens to you.
Is it worth while doing a brush up course and taking the exam on a school boat where the mandated technique is more feasible?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Sadly you must use the method described in the documentation for Yacht Master to be sure to gain a pass. My experience regarding method of gybing a main sail as dictated by Yachting Australia is difficult to do on my boat but examiners are pedantic about following the book. Of course when sailing I do it my way on my boat. In reality you should use the method best suited to you as found by lots of practice picking up a float. ol'will
As an examiner, I can comment that Will’s statement is simply not true. Boats behave differently and there’s no prescribed way. Picking a MOB under sail tells me a lot about a candidates wind awareness and sailing ability though!

Having said that, quick hove to and then reach tack close reach is repeatable and controlled and works for most boats/situations.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
In my test I started by doing it under sail. Examiner stopped me and said how are you going to tell coroner if victim drowned due to you not using engine. So i got sails down and used engine but just before pickup examiner turned engine off with the words “rope on prop”. So i got sails up and managed it in one to my surprise. So I will never forget best practise but know I can manage traditional

capnsensible

Visit site
Perhaps Yachting Australia needs to catch up with the RYA?

As an instructor, I've practised this literally thousands of times on many types of yacht. It doesn't take long for the average student to see the several ways that work and further experience and practice shows how to go about mob in different circumstances. The key to figuring it out is how quickly the helm stops the boat. Or doesn't!

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
The skills used in the standard RYA 'MOB Under Sail' method will also be used for many other manouvers under sail, where precise control of speed and direction are required, e.g. coming alongside a buoy, boat, pontoon or quay, or for picking up your hat before it sinks, when it has blown overboard.

RobF

Visit site
My experience of doing a couple of YMs was that the examiner was interested in a few things.
  • good boat control
  • good crew communication
  • boat manoeuvred safely to the location of the MOB (for YM offshore, the engine never seemed to work)
  • boat stopped alongside the MOB

There are some techniques which are better at achieving this objective than others, but there was no set technique.

goeasy123

Visit site
If that was part of the assessment there wouldn't be many "passes".
Good point. So.... question for the instructors.

What's the point of testing prospective YM's on their ability to swing the boat in challenging circumstances if you don't test their ability to get a person out of the water?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Good point. So.... question for the instructors.

What's the point of testing prospective YM's on their ability to swing the boat in challenging circumstances if you don't test their ability to get a person out of the water?

H&S probably precludes the adoption of a genuine MOB, and to haul aboard a 12stone ‘dummy’ equivalent would be expensive to use and a bit of a problem to manhandle overboard, so really the only practical option is the cushion or other floating item to enable the candidate to show ability to handle the boat in close quarters during an emergency MOB, the examiner discussed with me the various methods of getting a MOB aboard during my exam whilst I retrieved the rather sodden cockpit cushion that represented he MOB.