yachtmaster coastal

stu9000

Visit site
I am contemplating taking my Yachtmaster coastal assessment in the spring.
Can I check a few things with you experienced salts please.

I can book in for just the practical exam? As I understand it there is no separate theory test.

Cost is around £200?

I believe the way it works is the exam is carried out by qualified independent assessors.
These can be contacted at local yacht clubs.
This RYA search tool lists several possibilities around my mooring at the Blackwater Marina.
Are there any recommendations?

The 'RYA Yachtmaster Scheme and Logbook (G158)' just lists RYA theory course content rather than identifying the content of the practical test..?
Where can I download a syllabus of content to be assessed?

Without looking at the syllabus it is hard for me to decide whether to enrol on an online coaching course or just gem up on the areas in which I am rusty.
I like to think i am reasonably competent and have sailed to France, the Channel Islands and the Netherlands in recent years, but there are bound to be gaps.
How have others prepared for the Yachtmaster coastal exam?

Thankyou.

S

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
You should book an examiner directly through the RYA.

Examiners then get an email saying such and such person wants a YM Coastal in their own boat (usually gives make and model) on such and such a date. Examiners respond and the RYA choose one.

I get the emails on a regular basis (and usually just look to see how far away they are..) Occasionally I say I’ll do one and occasionally I get appointed.

Aurai

Visit site
Hi, from hard won experience. I was reasonably experienced and already at or beyond day skipper level. Hence, I went straight to YM Coastal/Offshore Theory planning to be a super YM Offshore qualified person. Only it took me a couple of years to complete the logbook miles etc. required. When the time arrived and I did a pre-exam prep course, I absolutely failed miserably as my theory knowledge was weak. By weak I mean not as sharp and ready for immediate recall, as the examiner expected.

I was a bit surprised to be examined on obscure parts of theory knowledge my day to day sailing never required. Racon and morse letters, for example. Note to self, do the miles, do the theory and follow on quickly with the Coastal/Offshore exam.

During the practical, you can be asked about theory questions, chart work, and the rest. Good luck

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Education/ training is very personal. There are various models for how different people learn, so do what works for you.
Finding the holes in your knowledge is where other people can help. I say other people because we have a remarkable tendency to ignore our own ignorance! And those people who can help best are instructors and examiners. I tend to go to them in that order!.

Some points that might help your decision. (John, do please say if I'm wrong)Examiners are also generally instructors as well; they will examine and discuss approaches to problems. There is no right way. You will probably be asked to make a pragmatic decision. You will have to make decisions when very tired (think: overnight arrival at unknown port when your crew have all been sick. Maybe not that bad!).

I did YMO. Nothing but praise for my examiner 🙂

lustyd

Visit site
Not sure that's the best way? I think you'd do better doing the theory early and then practice applying it during the "miles".
I do agree, but will say that the RYA are quite specific about methods, naming, notation etc. and during those miles most people will refine what they learned to their preferred way of working. The RYA want you to do everything the RYA way so revisiting the theory before the exam is a very good idea. The syllabus isn't necessarily best and current practice either (education always lags, I'm not saying this is bad) and when I recently redid the DS Theory there's still significant content based around stand alone GPS units and associated techniques when most of us now use plotters and plotter based techniques. How many maintain the skills for a green screen radar set, for instance? I'm sure a good examiner would use their judgement, but less stressful to know the "correct" answer to the test question

finestgreen

Visit site
I do agree, but will say that the RYA are quite specific about methods, naming, notation etc. and during those miles most people will refine what they learned to their preferred way of working. The RYA want you to do everything the RYA way so revisiting the theory before the exam is a very good idea. The syllabus isn't necessarily best and current practice either (education always lags, I'm not saying this is bad) and when I recently redid the DS Theory there's still significant content based around stand alone GPS units and associated techniques when most of us now use plotters and plotter based techniques. How many maintain the skills for a green screen radar set, for instance? I'm sure a good examiner would use their judgement, but less stressful to know the "correct" answer to the test question
I could be wrong but nothing I've experienced, heard or read supports that idea that they're looking for specific "methods, naming or notations".

I think the opposite is more likely true - if you regurgitate a memorised "correct" answer from the theory course, the examiner is going to want to dig into how you would actually apply it to solve real problems on this boat.

lustyd

Visit site
I could be wrong but nothing I've experienced, heard or read supports that idea that they're looking for specific "methods, naming or notations".
Try the DS theory assessment - they very much want the RYA answer. I've had similar experience with instructors on practical courses too. It's not a bad thing, just that knowing the RYA answer and having recently refreshed it is helpful in passing an RYA examination. The same is true of any exam in any field which is syllabus based.

finestgreen

Visit site
Try the DS theory assessment - they very much want the RYA answer. I've had similar experience with instructors on practical courses too. It's not a bad thing, just that knowing the RYA answer and having recently refreshed it is helpful in passing an RYA examination. The same is true of any exam in any field which is syllabus based.
Right, absolutely the theory courses are looking for the "correct" RYA answer.

But as prep for the *practical* exam - I think "theory learned then consciously applied to practice over time" will beat "practice then book-fresh theory ready for the exam".

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

I think the opposite is more likely true - if you regurgitate a memorised "correct" answer from the theory course, the examiner is going to want to dig into how you would actually apply it to solve real problems on this boat.
I think you’ve hit the nail in the head.