Yachting with bikes

AfricaExped

Visit site
Hi

I am part of an expedition planning to travel to Morocco for charity via sail (English CHannel), bike (to Gibraltar Straits, kayak (the Straits, possibly), bike through Morocco and then ascend Jbel Toubkal.

There are around 13 of us plus 4 skippers helping with the crossing, which we're aiming to do with either 2 x 10 berth or 1 x 8 berth and 1 x 10 berth.

We aim to transport the bikes in the yachts, which will probably be Bavaria 44 or Bavaria 38. The best way to do this atm seems to be to remove the wheels, bubble wrap the frames and forks and store them on some of the beds when they are free and otherwise on the seats when the majority sleep. Given bikes can be stacked I imagine in a 2 person cabin we could fit at least 4 bikes.

The wheels will go in the cabins or failing that, be tied to guard rails (in bin liners to protect from salt water) as they're light and the tyres would help prevent damage to the deck.

Practically speaking, could 7 bikes be stored with wheels removedon a 10 berth and 6 on an 8 berth? I realise it'd be a squeeze and be hassle but it would not be for too long and I imagine the bulk could be done by sacrificing one of the smaller cabins.

Also, we are trying to save costs where possible. The main plan is to hire form a charter company; do you think there is much likelihood of anyone chartering their yacht bareboat or skippering it across the channel for less than a charter company? I thought it would be worth checking.

Cheers

Elessar

Visit site
Hi

I am part of an expedition planning to travel to Morocco for charity via sail (English CHannel), bike (to Gibraltar Straits, kayak (the Straits, possibly), bike through Morocco and then ascend Jbel Toubkal.

There are around 13 of us plus 4 skippers helping with the crossing, which we're aiming to do with either 2 x 10 berth or 1 x 8 berth and 1 x 10 berth.

We aim to transport the bikes in the yachts, which will probably be Bavaria 44 or Bavaria 38. The best way to do this atm seems to be to remove the wheels, bubble wrap the frames and forks and store them on some of the beds when they are free and otherwise on the seats when the majority sleep. Given bikes can be stacked I imagine in a 2 person cabin we could fit at least 4 bikes.

The wheels will go in the cabins or failing that, be tied to guard rails (in bin liners to protect from salt water) as they're light and the tyres would help prevent damage to the deck.

Practically speaking, could 7 bikes be stored with wheels removedon a 10 berth and 6 on an 8 berth? I realise it'd be a squeeze and be hassle but it would not be for too long and I imagine the bulk could be done by sacrificing one of the smaller cabins.

Also, we are trying to save costs where possible. The main plan is to hire form a charter company; do you think there is much likelihood of anyone chartering their yacht bareboat or skippering it across the channel for less than a charter company? I thought it would be worth checking.

Cheers

We regularly take full size bikes with us.
Our rear cabin has a generous double, a small gap then a single in it. 2 full size bikes fill it, and the bikes are very awkward to move around in the boat, they seem huge. I want to be able to use the bikes easily so only take 1 wheel off.
You need to take off both wheels, the pedals off and turn the handlebars to 90deg.
If you want to move it around the boat lots of bubble wrap or perhaps the bags you can get for taking bikes on planes.

They will definitely seem bigger than you expect in the boat and I certainly wouldn't want to be moving them around to sleep.

Lakesailor

Visit site
sacrificing one of the smaller cabins.

do you think there is much likelihood of anyone chartering their yacht bareboat

I'm afraid to say you are asking a lot there. I have spent nearly three years looking after property hired by large groups of outdoor activity enthusiasts. I certainly wouldn't hire a yacht to people who were hoping to bring a load of bikes on board.
"Sacrificing" a cabin would seem to a literal instruction to some of the "guests" we had.
What may seem like a "small scuff" to some people may, to the owner, be a huge and irreparable gouge.

If cost is an issue why not just go on a ferry?

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
If cost is an issue why not just go on a ferry?

Yes both routes have perfectly adequate cheap ferry services. Can't imagine any advantages of chartering a yacht to do this job - nor any sensible person who would allow his boat to be used in this way!

lustyd

Visit site
This gentleman seemed to have a good answer to bikes on yachts :)
IMG_4518.JPG

lustyd

Visit site
How funny ! :D...I think I have seen about evrything there is to see now..:eek:

You think that's funny you should have spoken to him! When we met him he was fending off the rocks with a broom. no sails, engine off etc. We asked if he needed a tow and he declined (after a fashion). We then said if he later needed help to call us on 16, he said he had no radio and never felt the need!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not addressing the question of whether a chartered yacht should be used as a bike transporter, we have taken mountain bikes considerable distances by yacht and by air, in purpose made bags. With wheels off, pedals reversed, handlebars rotated, the total package is the size of a medium sized suitcase. We have full internal padding, admittedly to protect the bikes rather than the boat, but damage to external surfaces is most unlikely.

Our bags are home-made but commercial versions are available. It was the case that you could buy cardboard bike boxes for transport by air, which could well be sufficient for a short expedition.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Not a hope in hell. Go by ferry.

There's also an amazingly cheap bike service through the channel tunnel. You travel by minibus on the car shuttle and it takes your bike in a trailer. Sixteen quid each way for cyclist and cycle, also sixteen quid for a day return.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/vehicles/bicycles/

Since the Shuttle doesn't take foot passengers, and Eurostar is expensive, people have been known to buy a tatty old bike which they only ever use to get access to the Shuttle.

Last edited:

ribrage

Visit site
Not addressing the question of whether a chartered yacht should be used as a bike transporter, we have taken mountain bikes considerable distances by yacht and by air, in purpose made bags. With wheels off, pedals reversed, handlebars rotated, the total package is the size of a medium sized suitcase. We have full internal padding, admittedly to protect the bikes rather than the boat, but damage to external surfaces is most unlikely.

Our bags are home-made but commercial versions are available. It was the case that you could buy cardboard bike boxes for transport by air, which could well be sufficient for a short expedition.

Second this suggestion, i have a full sized touring bike on board , panniers the works and wouldnt go off with out it , but its in a heavy duty bag and is not going to damage the wood work nor be damaged its self

getting them down the companionway is a nightmare and will certainly cause damage to the yachts, aswould trying to squeeze them into the cabins and shuffling them around during the day and night.

if i was the owner of the charter boats I'd be saying a very firm NO