Yachting clothing

Wansworth

Visit site
The biggest item in a chandlers is clothing and footwear,a mate of mine was full time in the section flogging matching storm resistant wear for the Solent.Itsindicative of were it all went wrong

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I couldn’t agree that it all went wrong in sailing because fashionable technical clothing became a sales item in a chandlers. You may as well blame preventing scurvy as the start of whatever.

There are a lot of folks out there doing DIY stuff to modern boats and keeping sailing at low cost.

Ray Purchase

Visit site
You also have to rember that Henry Lloyd was deriger for the aspiring football hooligan in the late 90s, Slam the Italian brand is part of one of our local schools outfits, and Musto is used in equestrian circles.

johnalison

Visit site
My breathable Musto Offshore set is over 20 yrs old and getting a bit ropey, though good enough for what I now do. I have always regarded money spent on good clothing as money well spent, though there are some bargains to be had, such as last year's stock. When I started cruising in the '70s I often had to wear a load of woollies with a flimsy outside waterproof layer that wasn't well covered at the waist and needed a scarf to seal the neck. Decent wear for me came in around mid '80s with Musto kit that was warm and covered you from head to toe, other makes being available of course, but it was only a muggy autumn trip in 2000 that showed me that I needed to invest in breathables. Although some of the old clothes such as smocks were useful in a way, modern clothing has done a lot to make sailing less uncomfortable, as it has with skiing and no doubt others.

The Q

Visit site
Yep all i have is a set of builders waterproof overalls for a summer soggy and a fishermans buoyancy suit for the winter,nice and warm that is too.
Never ever bought any clothing for a brand name..

steveeasy

Visit site
No point going to sea and not looking the part!!. I invested in a good sailing jacket, 1, to keep me dry and 2, to look cool. Well when it really rains, its worth every penny, not sure about the cool bit though!!. .

Steveeasy

Attachments

• NBQQ4096 (1).JPG
    NBQQ4096 (1).JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 48

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Having just got in from the first day of Cowes week, 5 hours on the water in an open dayboat in F4-5, occasionally 6, wind over tide, let me assure you that modern kit isn’t a fashion statement, it keeps you alive and functioning, though for cause and effect that might be the other way around. Repeatedly drenched, green water over the bow every 3rd wave, the downwind death roll, I did not regret a single penny of the 2nd mortgage I took out to buy my gear.

ctva

Visit site
No point going to sea and not looking the part!!. I invested in a good sailing jacket, 1, to keep me dry and 2, to look cool. Well when it really rains, its worth every penny, not sure about the cool bit though!!. .

Steveeasy
Looking dappa. Trying to work out where the pic is taken?

st599

Visit site
Luckily I'm from the North of England and have never needed any yachting couture. It never rains enough in the South of England to need it and it's warm enough for shorts 10 months of the year.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The biggest item in a chandlers is clothing and footwear,
I've never noticed, perhaps I'm going to the wrong chandlers.

Back in the day, when I misspent my youth on cold, wet Scottish mountains I liked Rohan kit. Sadly they have become a fashion statement. I got quite excited when I saw Nevisport on my local high street. Just another brand and a million kilometres from the climbing shop in Fort William of my 'yooth'

xyachtdave

Visit site
I’ve been meaning to buy the complete set of Captain Currey gear, there’s an event next week at the yacht club where I may need to up my game.

I particularly like their smock that’s apparently been designed with just a set square.

Smock, strides and cap, all in burgundy, finished of with a signal flag belt and a rigging set in the leather pouch.

You never know when you’re going to need an adjustable spanner.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Where do you hair shirt guys sail? I very rarely see people sailing in old or non sailing gear. Everyone, even the old duffers on gaffers, has modern sailing kit around here. Ok, they might have a Breton cap and a guernsey jumper, but those are perfectly functional garments.

Poignard

Visit site
One of the most practical bits of clothing I had was a simple Breton smock.

It was cheap (I bought it in fisherman's supply shop) and, important on a small boat, it could be rolled up and stuffed in a locker.

onesea

Visit site
2 of my local chandlers have down for chandlery upstairs clothes. The 3rd you walk through the clothes to get to the chandlery.

However afloat it's not uncommon to count the cost of sailing gear on a boat, to find that combined it's worth more than my boat!

I must of gone up in the world there was a time when one crew members sailing gear could cost more than my boat.

Sadly sailing round here is a fashion statement been seen wearing the right clothes and eating at the right tables.

Not time enjoying your boat and passeges made.

Alicatt

Visit site
You also have to rember that Henry Lloyd was deriger for the aspiring football hooligan in the late 90s, Slam the Italian brand is part of one of our local schools outfits, and Musto is used in equestrian circles.
My Henry Lloyd gear is still giving good service at 20+ years old, mind you it does look out of fashion now ;)
Oh and it clashes with the new boat :D