"Yacht" varnish

PaulJ

Visit site
\"Yacht\" varnish

Does anyone know what the difference is between "Yacht" varnish and any other varnish........ apart from the price of course?

Sammy

Visit site
Re: \"Yacht\" varnish

Supposed to be resistant to salt water and have more ultraviolet light filters, but as I can never get away with more than a season without re-varnishing it has never made any difference and some of the cheaper brands seem to last a bit longer.
I don't use polyurathane types externally anymore too hard to remove and they dont breathe. If its a small area have you tried clear epoxy and varnish on top. Works wonders Pig to remove when the time comes but my tiller was done 5 years ago and still looks great.

G

Iv'e had great sucess with blackfriers which is sold as 'yacht vanish' but through builders merchants and hense cheaper than many chandlers. Mainly I like the coulore and flow, but every wooden boat owner has a favorute varnish.

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

charles_reed

Visit site
International Paints used to have

A very good comparison of their protective coatings.

Yacht varnish is usually one of the polyurethane based ones with additional UV protection.
Best were the two-pack varieties - however resistance to degradation is directly proportional to difficulty in application...

JamesS

Visit site

Just a note of caution, I bought some 'yacht varnish', made by a brand leader, from the local DIY. In the small print it said 'not suitable for marine applications !!!