Yacht electrical system design

PaulRainbow

Visit site
As i mentioned in a previous post i was laying on the side of caution i think with the usage but you have explained that pretty well to me. To be honest i think there maybe a way to get round alot of the high usage items by adopting different methods, i could realistically then say by doing this that whilst at anchor i could probably pull those figures down to about 100ah roughly, underway will be a little more obviously (around 140-150) with more systems running.
Pretty sure thinking about it there are rechargeable hair dryers out there or even 12v hair dryers so that may be way to 1. keep the Mrs happy and 2. doing away with the need for an inverter?
As mentioned before i had a good read through another post you were helping with andrew trayfoot, with some alterations in solar upgrades to his and higher battery ah's i think something similar to that one would be a good start? what do you think Paul?
Remind me please ?

Gadget257

Visit site
T
A decent 2000w inverter with built in 70a charger is £349.99. Fiting two Victron chargers would cost more than that, but you wouldn't fit two, you just fit one with two outputs (actually three, as a rule).

The DC-DC charger will only charge in one direction.
Sterling now makes a DC -DC charge that “goes both ways” using excess charging capacity to the house battery to top up the engine battery. Battery to Battery Chargers

I’m very tempted to use this on my rewire.

Tranona

Visit site
From other discussions within this thread, i cant really see the benefit now for choosing a £200-300 DC - DC charger over a VSR, is there any?
No, unless you go lithium and that is one way of controlling the charge rate to the domestic bank without wrecking your engine alternator. Also one way, as in my installation, of charging a bow battery for thruster and windlass.

Can't see any real advantage of charging the start battery from the domestic if you have a means of connecting the domestic to the engine in an emergency.

Gadget257

Visit site
From other discussions within this thread, i cant really see the benefit now for choosing a £200-300 DC - DC charger over a VSR, is there any?
I advantage for me is because as I am replacing the whole electrical system on the project boat I might as well make it lithium ready (future proof). VSR worked well on a previous rewire of another boat.