Yacht Clubs

G

Here's a new thread, we all know the Royal Yacht Squadron is the top Yacht Club. Who do *YOU* consider to be second, third and fourth? My vote would be for the Royal Thames as second, Royal Temple as third and the Royal Southern as fourth. Let's hear your views

G

I think that all yacht clubs offer invalueable help to there members and maybe the idea of who is the top or second top just enforces the snobbery often attached At the end of the day we are all boys with toys and the guy with the 15 foot trail boat warrants the same admiration as the guy with the 65 footer The best club is the users who actually use their boats regularly

G

I don't think this has anything to do with superiority or snobbishness, it is a matter of date of founding.

Obviously the RYS is to do with Royal snobbery, but for the remainder we have the boyos from Cork, the Cumberland Fleet (now the R. Thames). but I have lost track then.

Most of the early ones were Royal because only Royalty and their hanger-on could afford the enormous crews to run the yachts of those days.

The R. Norfolk and Suffolk was 1851, but there are several older.

G

The Royal Victoria was founded because the Royal Yacht Squadron would not accept Prince Albert as a member, they would not accept "bloody foreigners" As a matter of interest King George VI had to resign from the Squadron over an election matter involving his chum Sir Thomas Lipton.

G

Are you sure? Usually the sovereign is the patron of the club.

I believe they once blackballed Lord Mountbatten because he was a friend of the Prince of wales, whom they could not get rid of. This was the only way open to them of expressing dissatisfaction with royalty.

G

Absolutely unfailingly confidently certain. He had to resign because he proposed Sir Thomas Lipton for membership and they "weren't going to have a bloody Grocer in the Club" Rules call for a member's resignation in these circumstances. Don't you just love the quaintness that is so peculiarily British?