Yacht club dress codes

Resolution

Visit site
So is there in fact a "dress code police" in practice? This stuff is written down in the rules, but if you turn up in normal socially-acceptable clothing that contravenes it, does anyone object? Is it like the "shooting a welshman after midnight" variety of unenforced law, or will someone really insist that you leave for wearing trousers made of the incorrect fabric?

Pete

Pete
The bad news is that the dress code is enforced quite frequently. I have had a guest sent out to be fitted with a jacket instead of his pullover, which embarrassed both him and myself. On the other hand, when I recently hosted a dozen Australian rugby supporters for lunch, they took my dress code warnings to heart and looked absolutely spiffing smart in blazers and ties etc. We then had a very long lunch, got very cheerful and watched Australia play Fiji on the box, making a lot of noise and behaving much worse than our blazers would have suggested!

prv

Visit site
"Sailing" or "Yacht" in the title doesn't really tell you anything - I belonged to a royal "Yacht" club which is more inclined towards dinghies with far more dress code events than the "Sailing" club I currently belong to that has very little involvement with dinghies.

I've never heard of "Sailing" vs "Yacht" as a dinghy / not-dinghy thing before. Usually it's where you have two clubs in one area, the posh one being the "Royal Loamshire Yacht Club" and the cheap-and-cheerful one the "Loamton Sailing Club".

Pete

pvb

Visit site

prv

Visit site
That's nothing! Try working for a Swiss bank.

https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/45325094?access_key=key-296jtldidj6kp3hdiyn0

Dress code = 44 pages...

You're even told which knickers to wear...!!

Given that some of the items seem to be UBS-issued, like the ladies' ties, I assume this is for staff in retail branches and more of a uniform than an office dress-code. A similar document aimed at airline cabin crew, or a briefer equivalent for McDonalds staff, wouldn't raise many eyebrows.

Pete

l'escargot

Visit site
Ok, I thought you meant not having a club to join, which is a bit different from complaining about turning up at one if out cruising and being turned away. That's not very sociable, or friendly on the part of the club.

Being asked to join if constantly using the premises would certainly seem fair enough tho.
Why should a club be sociable or friendly to non members? It only exists for the benefit of members.If you want to enjoy the facilities of a club, pay your money and join - joining one club gives you access to all similarly registered clubs under the RYA affiliation umbrella. There are also legal/licensing concerns with allowing non members to use the facilities - by definition of being a club they aren't a public facilility.

Last edited:

steve yates

Visit site
But we're not really talking about the public, we're talking about other sailing club members. Reciprocal rights and all that as you mention. Each club can do as it pleases, but I do think it's rude to turn folk away because they don't meet a dress code. If indeed that happens, I wouldn't know.

Robin

Visit site
Why should a club be sociable or friendly to non members? It only exists for the benefit of members.If you want to enjoy the facilities of a club, pay your money and join - joining one club gives you access to all similarly registered clubs under the RYA affiliation umbrella. There are also legal/licensing concerns with allowing non members to use the facilities - by definition of being a club they aren't a public facilility.

Some folk think that clubs they encounter on their travels owe them hospitality simply because they are there and the assumption is they are open to business from all like a Macdonalds. They have no idea about liquor licencing laws, that if not complied with correctly could cause the club many problems. I never once encountered a club anywhere on my travels be it a Yacht Club where I was a waterborne visitor from another RYA affiliated YC or or a Golf club as a travelling golfer from a recognised GC. I would expect however to be required to be signed in by a member or member of staff ( that is a legal requirement) and I would anticipate dressing appropriately. If I wanted a back street speakeasy, I would be dressed accordingly in striped suit and carrying a violin case as accepted protocol. IN the case of the Golf clubs as a visitor wanting to play I would expect to have to show a handicap certificate and to be dressed appropriately, ie no jeans no trainers. But then I would not want to seem like an anarchic rebel with large shoulder chip making some kind of point, either at the time itself or later on an internet forum..

l'escargot

Visit site
But we're not really talking about the public, we're talking about other sailing club members. Reciprocal rights and all that as you mention. Each club can do as it pleases, but I do think it's rude to turn folk away because they don't meet a dress code. If indeed that happens, I wouldn't know.
I mentioned RYA affiliated members in my post and my comments were directed at the public, so yes I am talking about the public.

I don't think it rude to expect visiting affiliated members to adhere to the same rules as full members but as you say I don't hear of bona fide visitors being turned away because they don't meet a dress code, in fact I hear more stories of clubs doing their best to accommodate bona fide visitors.

l'escargot

Visit site
Some folk think that clubs they encounter on their travels owe them hospitality simply because they are there and the assumption is they are open to business from all like a Macdonalds. They have no idea about liquor licencing laws, that if not complied with correctly could cause the club many problems. I never once encountered a club anywhere on my travels be it a Yacht Club where I was a waterborne visitor from another RYA affiliated YC or or a Golf club as a travelling golfer from a recognised GC. I would expect however to be required to be signed in by a member or member of staff ( that is a legal requirement) and I would anticipate dressing appropriately. If I wanted a back street speakeasy, I would be dressed accordingly in striped suit and carrying a violin case as accepted protocol. IN the case of the Golf clubs as a visitor wanting to play I would expect to have to show a handicap certificate and to be dressed appropriately, ie no jeans no trainers. But then I would not want to seem like an anarchic rebel with large shoulder chip making some kind of point, either at the time itself or later on an internet forum..
I wouldn't argue with any of that - but then in a different life and a different century, I was a once a club steward. :encouragement: Since then I've also been an ordinary member or committee member of a variety of clubs and seen pretty much all that you describe...;)

Leighb

Visit site
Our only dress rule that is enforced is that neither sex should go into the clubhose "Topless"!

We do have a couple of Black Tie events during the year, but if a member turns up in a suit he would certainly not be turned away. Wet sailing clothes are accepted in the main clubroom, but not in the carpeted area or upstairs.

Regarding comments about visitors having to belong another club, we do not enquire, we only require them to be sailors and to sign the visitors book. We do challenge persons who are just passing by and nothing to do with sailing.

doris

Visit site
You are trying to join the wrong club then. Come and join Haslar Yacht Club...where you'll find a selection of delectable and very nicely shaped female bums and a few male arses are OK too...well maybe that's pushing it:p

Now there's a thought. I will pay more attention as I wander along the pontoons! Best I check out Zig Zag's derrière.
I was unaware of Haslar YC, who runs it?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I fear this is just another manifestation of English aspirational middle class snobbery; golf clubs are by all account even worse.

Up until 3 years ago, when virtually all my sailing was on flotillas, I used to defend us against such accusations. Not since we got a boat in the UK though. For far too many English sailors in my (OK, limited) experience, having a 'yacht' is first and foremost a status symbol. And seemingly the more so the more modest the boat - you see it on YBW every day, sauced with a hefty dollop of bitterness.

Motorboaters, again in my experience are (i) as rich as many sailors wish us to think they are, and (ii) couldn't give a toss about 'image' and are much more interested in enjoying themselves. Mind you, this might be just that only the rich ones can afford to take their boats out!

:encouragement:

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
38 years on the water and never have I been an member of an yacht club and after reading some of the stuff on here it's very lightly I never will , some right pompous gits .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I really don't see the problem with a dress code for black tie events - the clue is in the name :)

If clubs want dress codes for various socials then that surely is part of the fun / atmosphere and I would have no issue with that (whether or not I chose to go is a different matter).

Dress codes for the clubhouse/bar /restaurant is a different matter. I wouldn't join a place that wouldn't sell me a pint in may sailing kit.

With you all the way ,
How many go sailing with a blazer and tie in our locker just in case we want a pint ,
Back in the UK the other month , I took my grandson to rugby training , the club there was very welcoming , and very happy to sell me a bacon roll and a tea , no blazer or tie , just jeans and trainers .

Last edited:

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
There is a restaurant in Bury st Edmunds (well maybe two of their class) where a meal for two will (and has cost me) just shy of £100. You can walk in wearing old jeans and a t shirt. So whats with all the dress code lark to go poncing around in a gin soaked shed by the water? Surely, the days of the old blazer brigade drunken old admirals are over?

Last edited: