Connecting AIS receiver to new Raymarine Plotter

kalanka

Visit site
I have a new Raymarine Element 7s plotter. I want to connect an AdvanSea AIS receiver. Can I do this using the NMEA 2000 branch off the power cable and a panel connector like this one. My previous SH plotter had the blue and green wires connecting to the AIS feed. If what I propose is feasible, do I just connect to the blue and green wires in the micro connector? Thanks

1718112033965.png

KompetentKrew

Visit site
NMEA 2000 must always have a "backbone" configuration like this:

iaCr3xI.jpg

You can't just wire two NMEA 2000 devices together.

This is a minimum NMEA 2000 network for connecting 2 devices:

l789q3F.jpg

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have a new Raymarine Element 7s plotter. I want to connect an AdvanSea AIS receiver. Can I do this using the NMEA 2000 branch off the power cable and a panel connector like this one. My previous SH plotter had the blue and green wires connecting to the AIS feed. If what I propose is feasible, do I just connect to the blue and green wires in the micro connector? Thanks

View attachment 178358
Your standard horizon plotter was NMEA 0183, not NMEA 2000.

Which model of AIS do you have ? Does it have NMEA 2000 ? If it does, see post #3

kalanka

Visit site
Doesn't look very promising:

advanSea AIS RX-100 Receiver

More Compact than the TR200, the RX-100 outputs the received AIS data transmitted by vessels with class A and B transponders on the VHF network and displays it on an AIS compatible GPS/Plotter via and NMEA 0183 interface.

The RX-100 is also supplied with a USB cable for PC applications. (USB 2.0 38400 baud bi-directional)

Dimensions80 x 65.5 x 33.25 mm (L x W x H)
Weight200 g
Power DCDC (9.6V - 28.8V) - Average power consumption <1.5W
Peak current rating : 200mA
Electrical InterfacesUSB 2.0 38400 baud bi-directional
NMEA0183 38400 baud (output) 4800 baud (input)
ConnectorsVHF antenna connector type: SO239, 50 Ohms.
USB 2.0 - NMEA0183 / Power
Dual-channel receiverFixed frequency reception at 161.975 and 162.025 MHz
Operating temperature-25ºC to +55ºC
WaterproofnessIPX2

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Doesn't look very promising:

advanSea AIS RX-100 Receiver

More Compact than the TR200, the RX-100 outputs the received AIS data transmitted by vessels with class A and B transponders on the VHF network and displays it on an AIS compatible GPS/Plotter via and NMEA 0183 interface.

The RX-100 is also supplied with a USB cable for PC applications. (USB 2.0 38400 baud bi-directional)

Dimensions80 x 65.5 x 33.25 mm (L x W x H)
Weight200 g
Power DCDC (9.6V - 28.8V) - Average power consumption <1.5W
Peak current rating : 200mA
Electrical InterfacesUSB 2.0 38400 baud bi-directional
NMEA0183 38400 baud (output) 4800 baud (input)
ConnectorsVHF antenna connector type: SO239, 50 Ohms.
USB 2.0 - NMEA0183 / Power
Dual-channel receiverFixed frequency reception at 161.975 and 162.025 MHz
Operating temperature-25ºC to +55ºC
WaterproofnessIPX2
This will not connect directly to the Element. You will need a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter and build an NMEA 2000 network, as shown in post #3

kalanka

Visit site
This will not connect directly to the Element. You will need a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter and build an NMEA 2000 network, as shown in post #3
Thanks. I have followed the advice and:

installed a Digital Yacht NMEA 2000 network starter kit
bought an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-RM1 (AIS) NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 Gateway Converter DS
connected the chart plotter and converter to the network
connected converter to Y and Br outputs from the AIS unit

However, no AIS display appears on the plotter. The Raymarine manual describes switching on the AIS function from the Layers menu but no such option is available on my machine. Does the option only appear when it recognises an AIS signal?

I have checked basic connections but have some further questions

Connections to AIS engine; Previously Yellow and Brown output were connected to Blue and Green on my old SH chart plotter. Worked immediately. The Actisense unit has Black Red Blue and White. AIS outputs are Yellow Brown Blue and Orange. What connects to what in the new setup?

Power supply; The plotter and AIS receiver each has its own supply. So does the network and so does the converter. Should all be used or are some redundant?

I thought this might be simple.....

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks. I have followed the advice and:

installed a Digital Yacht NMEA 2000 network starter kit
bought an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-RM1 (AIS) NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 Gateway Converter DS
connected the chart plotter and converter to the network
connected converter to Y and Br outputs from the AIS unit

However, no AIS display appears on the plotter. The Raymarine manual describes switching on the AIS function from the Layers menu but no such option is available on my machine. Does the option only appear when it recognises an AIS signal?

I have checked basic connections but have some further questions

Connections to AIS engine; Previously Yellow and Brown output were connected to Blue and Green on my old SH chart plotter. Worked immediately. The Actisense unit has Black Red Blue and White. AIS outputs are Yellow Brown Blue and Orange. What connects to what in the new setup?

Power supply; The plotter and AIS receiver each has its own supply. So does the network and so does the converter. Should all be used or are some redundant?

I thought this might be simple.....
You say "so does the converter" If you have connected the red and black wires on the converter to power it's probably damaged. The converter takes its power from the N2K network.

The Yellow and Brown output wires from the AIS go to the red (+) and black (-) wires on the converter. You'll need to check the AIS manual to see which wire is + and which is -, but if you don't have the manual you can do it by trial and error, reversing the wires does no harm.

The Element series does not have a configuration setting which controls whether AIS targets are shown or hidden.