Wyatts Marinestore (West Mersea) closing

Black Diamond

Visit site
The online marketplace takes another scalp; Wyatts has been put up for sale by Marinestore as a going concern, but the word locally is that it is unlikely to sell in its current format. It will be a great loss to us Mersea folk, as well as visiting yachts needing repairs/replacements etc. Hats off to Marinestore for keeping it open so long, but it's a sign of the times that they are forced to retreat to what will be their sole store in Maldon, having had four sites at the apogee of 3D chandlery retail.

Visit site
Nooooooo!!!!! That really is a shame. I use it a lot, especially for stuff I suddenly find I need TODAY, where online is no good.

It isn't about better planning, it is about dealing with the unexpected. Are so few people working on their own boats?

This is really bad news. If a place like Mersea can't support a chandlery, where can?

Dee Bee

Visit site
The loss of physical chandlers is distressing. Sometimes you need to ses a fitting to realise that it is the wrong size. I have a little collection of stuff ordered but not worth returning.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
If boats are not being used like they used to be , there is not much to go wrong or perhaps any reason to upgrade . I'm in Orwell country at the moment , which could be better as described as Costa Del Orwell . Fantastic weather, fantastic sea breezes but not that much about for the time of year.. It's all a bit puzzling

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If people don't go through the door it isn't a viable business. Marinestore obviously set up a viable online presence, but they don't need multiple chandleries for that, so any that are not profitable will get closed, leaving the main store for online ordering and physical purchases.

You only have to look at Foxs and Seamark Nunn, significant online presence and a single physical presence, both seem to be doing OK.

Sorry, but "The online marketplace takes another scalp" is incorrect. Customers choosing to buy online to save a few quid, rather than walking through the door of their local chandlery are what causes places to close, not the internet.

Things change, adapt or become extinct.

Last edited:

Laurie

Visit site
The online marketplace takes another scalp; Wyatts has been put up for sale by Marinestore as a going concern, but the word locally is that it is unlikely to sell in its current format. It will be a great loss to us Mersea folk, as well as visiting yachts needing repairs/replacements etc. Hats off to Marinestore for keeping it open so long, but it's a sign of the times that they are forced to retreat to what will be their sole store in Maldon, having had four sites at the apogee of 3D chandlery retail.
That place and everyone in it kept me sailing for all my years at Mersea. It was like a second home........

rowlock

Visit site
Once again stereo typical excuses and uneducated opinions prevail clouding over truths and diverting energy and activity from the real elephant in the room.

Retail is simple. Stock product using skill and knowledge then sell plus a margin. The margin must cover the cost of purchases and the business operation including wages and a little profit. It is beholden to maximise every opportunity, maintain and expand turnover and profitability. Sadly West Mersea has failed to grasp this and the waterfront community face the consequence.

This is a niche market. It is not necessarily the fault of the internet. The internet is unable to respond to spur of the moment demand - even Amazon can not and do not want to deliver the critical missing part needed to finish a job at 13:00 on a Spring Tide November Sunday. Ticket price is far from the total cost realty. Retail price collected now is is instant. Quite often no more than online plus carriage delivered 24 hours later and without risk of selection mistake, carraige damage or loss. The same goes for returns. And people are prepared to pay for service.

Rental costs have become difficult, Pizza can and will pay more for waterfront premises and wages. Building layout has become fundamental as chandlery customers are increasingly skilled at avoiding payment.

Business like all challenges in life are utterly dependent on the individuals involved and success or failure entirely a measure of their performance.

The Maldon Shop is vibrant, buzzing and has been worthy of investment suggesting West Mersea is a missed opportunity.
Success breeds success. Rights come with responsibility.

West Mersea needs to step up and get with the program.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
The Maldon chandlery is very well placed by car for people keeping boats on both the Blackwater and the Crouch. It was my go to chandlery when I kept boats at West Mersea and Bradwell. I just don't think there is enough potential at Mersea to cover costs and make a profit.

Lucas Titchmarsh

Visit site
Is this an opportunity for a community enterprise?

Richborough

Visit site
Without a doubt the Internet is killing off the high St. I took a friend to the amazon site at Maidstone as they were recruiting drivers. I sat in the car park for about 45 min. In that time about 200 vans must of gone through a check point to pick up parcels to deliver. You see delivery drivers around but this site was another world.