Would you believe it!

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Full of vim and vigour I decided that today I would begin titivating and start by servicing the winches which had become a little bit squeaky.

They are Barbarossa 32's and I attacked the port one with a whacking great screwdriver. It succumbed straight away and I carefully lifted of the barrel to reveal the gears and what turned out to be 2 captive roller races - one on top of the other, separated by a plastic collar…..faaaantastic. I splodged around a bit of grease - dripped oil down the centre section and replaced the barrel - no problem - no squeaks!.

Moving to the starboard full of confidence, again the central screw succumbed easily (I must admit I expected them to be seized) and I lifted of the barrel being careful not to disturb the roller races - which I should have said slide up and down the central shaft. Before I could see easily what was happening it transpired that the upper roller race had come away with the barrel - I watched in slow motion fascination as the race fell on to the side deck, bounced - performing a graceful arc, hit the toe rail and disappeared into the bloody Hamble. The boatyard reverberated to some severe swearing - I was not a happy bunny.

The winch still seems to function correctly - so I might have got away with it, but I'm not sure how it will behave under load. I'll find out on Monday as I've arranged a day sail.

So…..HELP…please. Where can I find a spare roller race for a Barbarossa 32 winch?

Magic

hlb

RIP
Visit site
But failing that. If you take the other one to a bearing supplier he should find you one very similar for little money.

donkeywinking.gif
<font color=blue>Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Ha bloody har! nm

Sorrreeeeee! Couldn't resist it! would, Merry christmas be a nice gesture? But HLB is right you should have no trouble at a bearing suppliers, they'll be a standard size.

wishbone

www.reflect-designs.co.uk
Re:That reminds me!

Slow motion ! that reminds me, My first ever flotilla with er’ indoors, getting ready to set off form Nidri to the organised barbie across the way, e’r indoors said I looked a plonker wiv’ the red stringy thing attached to me spec’s, so! Like a plonker took it off, yes you guessed it spun round and kerplonk over the side they went!...Just then a gin palace full of
I Tie’s pulls up gets prop tangled on someone’s anchor line, so this bare chested appears on deck with some diving gear, Quick as a flash I’m over the side swimming out to help him! Favour for a favour he lends me the almost empty tank so I can retrieve me specs....No weight belt ! I grab’s the spare anchor and plummet down, not seeing very well “no specs” cant find em except for a plant in a pot! Runs out of air bob’s back up back on deck!!!! After quite a few booozy ooozo’s we came to the conclusion that some Octopus nicked em for his garden in the shade!

Wishbone

plopp

Visit site
Re: can`t see a problem

Are both bearings the same on the winch which is quite normal, Or if not check the case of the bearing you require on it will be a makers name,and number just phone up bearing suppliers with number,and they will find a match.At half the cost.If you have any problems post a note for me as we have 2 good suppliers here.
Good luck ,and wish you all a excellent festive season.

Johnjo

Visit site
We all have done something like this over the years,
last thing I lost over the side or in this case the bow was the
windlass handle, there I was pumping away { with the handle} with
wet hands, next thing it shot out of my hand hit the stem fitting
and disappeared over the bow. not really lost though, I know
exactly where it is,retrieving it is another story.
merry christmas
mike

G

What I think is worse, is losing bits from the boat on dry land.

I attempted to service a winch by attaching a bag over it like old fashioned photographers. Trouble was I had trouble seeing, lowered the bag and springs sprung off into the undergrowth. After a lengthy search - no dice. Frustrating knowing that the bits are therer SOMEWHERE.

steffen

Visit site
Solution

Next time take a fair sized box, cut away a hole in the bottom the size of the baseplate of the winch and attach it with double sided sticky tape to wherever the wicht is mounted on.
If something slips it falls in the box.

Happy sailing, Steffen

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: Solution

Good idea.

I can't seem to find a bearing stockist. Their experience is that winch manufacturers assemble their own bearings to ensure 100% sales of replacement parts.

Magic

Johnjo

Visit site

I would be very surprised if they made their own bearings,
would be even more surprised if a good bearing supplier could not match it,
all the best with it.
mike

Magic_Sailor

Visit site

Mike

I'd have thought the same but of course he had no axe to grind. Apparently, (he said) they get the plastic cages moulded elsewhere, buy the needle rollers and merely clip them in place - voila.

Magic

Johnjo

Visit site
Ah well, best of luck with it anyway,
but would try another supplier, even if it meant taking the winch
in to them to try and match something to it.

regards mike