Wots my stern seal?

pcatterall

Visit site
I thought my 'new boat' had a conventional stuffing box ( this is a mid 70s Neptunian with a 4108 installed.
I had seen a copper pipe coming from the gland to the engine room and assumed that there would be a greasing point there.
Investigated today and find that the copper pipe goes onto the raw water side of the cooling system. I noticed that there should be stop valve at the gland end but the lever has broken off ( I guess that I can drill out and refit something there)
What is this system? how does it work and what maintenance does it require?
Thanks as usual.

SAMYL

Visit site
Could be an Aquaseal which can have a water feed to lubricate the mating surfaces and flood the gland/tube and cutlass bearing. There is no stuffing box or greaser.

The seal is between the revolving bronze ring (held in a rubber slieve on the shaft) rotating against a bronze disk on the stern tube.

A really excellent seal requiring the minimum amount of maintenance.

pcatterall

Visit site
I think I will have to post a photo! but it sounds like it must be the Aquaseal type. Would the raw water be drawn in then pumped out via my raw water system or is my raw water ( or at least a small part of it) being pumped out via the bearings. Is that small broken valve to stop the chance of sea water getting in to the boat. I guess that it has been left open otherwise the bearings would be in a bad state by now?

pcatterall

Visit site
Yes VYV, I did look throughyour very useful site I'm sure mine must be a bog standard one of some kind and thats its just my ignorance!!
The engine was taken out quite recently though so perhaps there is something a bit more up to date installed.
Photos coming but not till I return from hols though!

alant

Visit site
Yes VYV, I did look throughyour very useful site I'm sure mine must be a bog standard one of some kind and thats its just my ignorance!!
The engine was taken out quite recently though so perhaps there is something a bit more up to date installed.
Photos coming but not till I return from hols though!

"I'm sure mine must be a bog standard one"

Thats called a sphincter! :rolleyes:

Last edited: