Worse Case Scenario Volvo ECUs

Newbroom

Visit site
Starting a new thread for this in relationship to the thread on the non availability of ECUs on TAMD 73/4//5 s. Assuming the worst case scenario that there is no forthcoming supply in the future of ECUs what are the options.
Re engine
What with ,assume TAMD 75s at present 480 BHP
How much will it cost for new engines and fitting
assuming an average boat worth 200k is re engined how much is it going to increase the value of a boat.
How much are the old engines worth for spares assuming a good engine with only failed ECU

jakew009

Visit site
Starting a new thread for this in relationship to the thread on the non availability of ECUs on TAMD 73/4//5 s. Assuming the worst case scenario that there is no forthcoming supply in the future of ECUs what are the options.
Re engine
assuming an average boat worth 200k is re engined how much is it going to increase the value of a boat.
How much are the old engines worth for spares assuming a good engine with only failed ECU

Next to no increase in the boats value.

Maybe a couple of grand for the ancillaries on the old engines, turbo etc.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Re engine
The point is that a boat that would otherwise be worth 200k is devalued massively if it needs re-engining. Nearest Volvo Penta sort-of-equivalent to the TAMD75 might be a D9. Pair of D9s plus all the work required for removal and fitting plus all the ancillary / instrument / fuelling changes and probably new gearboxes could be (?? guesswork) let's say 100k. Won't be much different if you went Cummins or Cat.

Dino

Visit site
I’d say you could be well north of 100k. Before I bought my boat, I came across an older example going pretty cheap with the older engines. I considered re-engining it so made a few enquiries. Broom wanted £68k plus vat for two VP D4’s. It did involve some modification of engine beds, new larger seacocks, etc. It did include gearboxes.
There were some non-VP options available for a lot less.

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
I suppose the question would be, would you want to keep the boat or sell it?

If keeping it, then find the cash and re-power. But, what if you can’t find a spare £65-£100k knocking around? Scrap the boat??

Ron the boater

Visit site
So for arguments sake, you buy a boat and re engine with Volvo penta D anything that will also in time have exactly the same issue un supported ECUs

Is there even a solution as the world moves to eco and electronics ?

jakew009

Visit site
Honestly, either Volvo or someone else will find a solution to this. There's probably 10,000 or so EDC I powered motors out there. If each one is worth £10k that's £100 million worth of engines that have been made obsolete.

Exactly. It is incredibly basic technology we are talking about easily replicated with a £5 Arduino.

The truth is the reason the problem hasn’t been solved yet is the number of people currently affected by it is minuscule. If it becomes a bigger problem it will get solved in no time.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Honestly, either Volvo or someone else will find a solution to this. There's probably 10,000 or so EDC I powered motors out there. If each one is worth £10k that's £100 million worth of engines that have been made obsolete.
And that’s exactly what VP want .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Re engine
Dave I’d be on ebay every day , first ECU you see buy it then your fear is resolved .

Newbroom

Visit site
Dave I’d be on ebay every day , first ECU you see buy it then your fear is resolved .
Paul
I am but I am not over concerned at this stage. I will just be extra careful as things like not working on the system with the power on. Welding . Jump starting, battery charging etc
Keep them warm and dry and hope the supply becomes available again in the future.
I was just putting it out there to see what others would do if the worst happened.

SimonD

Visit site
Which makes me think: if these things have a relatively high value on eBay, they become desirable to the bottom feeders of society. Not seeking to set hares running, but are they easy to nick?

andy59

Visit site
Which makes me think: if these things have a relatively high value on eBay, they become desirable to the bottom feeders of society. Not seeking to set hares running, but are they easy to nick?
Not that easy to nick and only any use to the exact same engine type

kashurst

Visit site
Sadly you make a very valid point. I could remove a KA(M)D ecu in about 10 minutes, probably less. I think I will be getting a lock for my engine cover.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Ca
Sadly you make a very valid point. I could remove a KA(M)D ecu in about 10 minutes, probably less. I think I will be getting a lock for my engine cover.
can you post a video on the removal process?

could be a nice eBay sideline for me?