Wooden hull restoration

Jimmybean

Visit site
I've embarked on a restoration of an ex commercial fishing vessel, (Toms, 1980,s). The superstructure has been removed & it has been reduced to hull only. The ribs are rotted along the deck line & will require doubling up. Currently the hull is secured on an estuary beach at the HW mark, so gets wetted. 2 x daily, preventing drying out which I'm told you should avoid. However part of logic says one should get the hull on the dry, properly supported & undercover ( problem around here), though it may be out of the water for up to 4 years whilst works are undertaken.
Any advice on wether best to restore in the dry or let hull continued to be Wetted by sea water.
Jimmy

jamie N

Visit site
Welcome aboard; without any specific knowledge of your boat, and being fairly unskilled myself, it would seem to me to be much better to remove the boat to a dry and covered area. My thought for this is that the boat is then in a controlled environment, which will allow a much more thorough restoration of the entire boat in conditions that will be better for you to work in. The caveat with this is, that to get it to the dry area and keep it there for such a period of time will probably create another set of difficulties that could suck the life out of the project. Others will mention the financial implications of whether such a project should even be undertaken in any form, but logic has no place in these things, as we all know! My own boat was in a barn for several years whilst the previous owner did some very good works on her. When I went to launch her, she (essentially) sank like a stone as I'd not taken the extra time to prepare the hull by thoroughly dampening her from the inside, to get her to take up; the outside being damp isn't a problem in Inverness.
Where is the boat, and how easy is it to find a covered place, such as a barn, for her to be stored in?

Niander

Visit site
If the ribs are easy to get to take out and replace as doubling doesn't look good
and is a bodge may as well do a great job...

bil56

Visit site
you should know that a wooden hull must be seriously supported before starting work ...
many wooden poles with wedges will support the hull before removing any piece of structure.
Fresh water is a great danger for the wood, while the salty sea water keeps it healthy

Wansworth

Visit site
Cover with a properly designed cover that will permit work in all weathers.The hull will be kept better as is.Later attention to causing and painting can take place over a much shorter period ashore.

Jimmybean

Visit site
Thank you for your input & it concurs with my own logical thoughts. There is a possibility of a barn,(Devon) which may become available later in the year. In the meantime, I can muse on the financial logic of doing this project!
Thanks

V

vytieubao

Fresh water is a great danger for the wood, while the salty sea water keeps it healthy

Other threads that may be of interest