Wooden boat that has been fiberglassed

steadyeddy

Visit site
Would a boat that had been fiberglassed on the out and inside the hull be water proof and is it easy for me to tell if the wood is dry between the fiberglassed with out me doing damage to the fiberglass.:confused:

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Almost certainly not. And no. Honestly this is not a good thing for a wooden boat, unless she was originally built thus (eg strip planked and glass sheathed from new). If the glass has been applied over a traditionally built hull it is probably a death sentence. Unless this vessel is in some way valuable to you, don't get involved.

Cymrogwyllt

Visit site
My very humble opinion is that it's been glassed for a reason (probably rotted to the proverbial and back). Run away if considering a purchase

Visit site
If the glass has been applied over a traditionally built hull it is probably a death sentence. Unless this vessel is in some way valuable to you, don't get involved.

I couldn't agree more. (And that's the case even if the hull was sound to start with.)

If she were valuable to you for sentimental reasons or whatever (which from your reply above she's clearly not) then my advice would have been to start restoration work before it'a too late, and to do it by removing the fibreglass first.

Mike

Visit site
Maybe you could use a water meter as with testing fibreglass generally? If it's dry then I can't see why it should'nt be perfectly alright providing a good job was done in the first place.Not much difference really to balsa cored decks :ambivalence:

steadyeddy

Visit site
I was thinking of going to look at the boat but after the advice i have decided to leave it alone,thanks for the advice its saved some money and worry.

old_salt

Visit site
If it is one I know of "Dawn II" designed by G.U.Laws Then I believe it was done about 20 years ago professionally and it might be worth having her checked out by a surveyor after you have looked at her yourself if you are happy.
A nice double ender from the turn of the century and possibly worth saving.

Poignard

Visit site
Question: Why was it fibreglassed in the first place?

Probable answer: Because it was leaking badly, probably rotten and the then owner lacked the skills or the wonga necessary to make proper repairs.

ianc1200

Visit site
Some boats were done from new as stated, almost a fashion then. A friend purchased a clinker built Richmond Slipways cruiser from the early 60's which had had this done, he purchased in mid 80's and had until mid 90's, there was no obvious problems and was still afloat & looking OK 10 years ago when I last saw it. As this boat was kept in fresh water most of it's life you could argue that the fibreglass protected the mahogany whereas unsheathed much replacement planking would otherwise be needed. He kept this boat at Kingston and did occasional trips to the Medway etc.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
If you are looking for a wooden boat, there are lots for sale. Many will be rough, and need quite a lot of time and money spent to bring them up to a decent standard. If you have the time, space and skills to do the work yourself these can be worthwhile. But be careful.... Some others will be really bad, and need something like a rebuild. This will be very time and money consuming even if you have the skills and a place to work. Unless one of these boats has a really special place in your heart it won't be worth it. However there are plenty of boats that have had the work done by the current owner and are actually in good shape. The price they will sell for will be a fraction of the money spent to restore them. Others will have been constantly maintained and not restored , just looked after by a knowledgeable owner/owners who have done each job as it cropped up. These boats can also be very good value. A wooden boat that is in good shape when she comes in to your ownership will not be cost free to run and maintain, but it will be orders of magnitude cheaper than taking on a 'project'.

If you tell the forum where you are located, what sort of boat you are looking for, what sort of mooring you'll be using I promise you will get a lot of suggestions. You must still do your own investigation in to condition and use a really good surveyor or boatbuilder, of course. But the boats are out there and bargains are to be had.

Good luck. Wooden boats are addictive and worth it. They make the harbour/bay/river look better for their presence and are a wonderful expression of skill, passion, taste, culture and natural materials.

Even Chance

Visit site
Ive seen a small 21 foot long double ender (Stroma Yole), that was 100 plus years old that had been fiberglassed in the 60's. It had the old fiberglass, which was beginning to de-laminate in places, removed completely last year. The hull underneath was sound. A few part-boards were repaired, and a new GRP skin was added to her which has given her life for another 50 years plus. This boat belongs to a local wooden boatbuilder, who was also amazed at the condition of the hull underneath. The boat was in daily use for fishing for creels since the day it was built, so no special treatment!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Ive seen a small 21 foot long double ender (Stroma Yole), that was 100 plus years old that had been fiberglassed in the 60's. It had the old fiberglass, which was beginning to de-laminate in places, removed completely last year. The hull underneath was sound. A few part-boards were repaired, and a new GRP skin was added to her ...

Why?

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Question: Why was it fibreglassed in the first place?

Probable answer: Because it was leaking badly, probably rotten and the then owner lacked the skills or the wonga necessary to make proper repairs.

It could have been glassed to protect it from woodworm etc if sailing in warmer waters...

nauticalnomad

Visit site
May be so, but Steddy Eddy said it had been fibre-glassed inside as well as out.

Oh... I looked into doing mine as its cold molded mahogany and after speaking to everyman and his dog both proffessional and not the boat being 45 plus years old if i was to do it it would only be done outside and the internals must not be done so the timber can breathe or sweat or be able to vent the water thats left inside no matter how much you dry it out. I had my timber hull outside and covered for 2 years whilst i stripped her back and repainted and repaired some rot round the cockpit drains she was still picking up moisture 2 years later. I was told i may have to put her in an oven to get her dry enough etc. In the end i didnt bother.