Women Skippers

Wansworth

Visit site
Standing on the quay at Exmouth as a coaster was outward bound and for some reason I was mildly surprised as a woman stepped out of the wheelhouse and bellowed an order in a strange language,that was in the 70snow women are everywhere taking charge…..except on the British cruising yacht😂

Bouba

Visit site
There was talk of a lady Captain on one of the aircraft carriers…the American Navy has had one on a Nimitz Class carrier

Visit site
If interested in history of women involved in the marine industry there is an exhibition at no4 boat house in Portsmouth historic dockyard. I have not been myself so not sure how good it is.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yer……but not on a Macwester 26😂
Many years back I knew a lady who was one of the first two BP cadets to get their bridge watchkeeping tickets on tankers. She spent the first gulf War sat at anchor in the area with a cargo of Avgas....

I met her when she was on leave and working for Guernsey harbourmaster driving their dory going round getting yacht details and mooring fees.

After some years, she wanted to give up blue water for a while and start a family. Last time we met she was skipper of a Portsmouth to Ryde fast ferry. I got an invite to the bridge. Very interesting seeing yachts from her view.

Oddly, her father had a Moody 40 something but never let her skipper it!

Wansworth

Visit site
Many years back I knew a lady who was one of the first two BP cadets to get their bridge watchkeeping tickets on tankers. She spent the first gulf War sat at anchor in the area with a cargo of Avgas....

I met her when she was on leave and working for Guernsey harbourmaster driving their dory going round getting yacht details and mooring fees.

After some years, she wanted to give up blue water for a while and start a family. Last time we met she was skipper of a Portsmouth to Ryde fast ferry. I got an invite to the bridge. Very interesting seeing yachts from her view.

Oddly, her father had a Moody 40 something but never let her skipper it!
See,I was right😂

SaltIre

Visit site
Standing on the quay at Exmouth as a coaster was outward bound and for some reason I was mildly surprised as a woman stepped out of the wheelhouse and bellowed an order in a strange language,that was in the 70snow women are everywhere taking charge…..except on the British cruising yacht😂
You posted a little while ago about phoning a man to come and fix your washing machine, so your misogyny appears to be without limits.

rotrax

Visit site
First Mate and I share the job. She is I/C helming, I rush about fixing the warps and fenders when coming alongside. We are both I/C the boat when on watch with the other one sleeping.

Wansworth

Visit site
First Mate and I share the job. She is I/C helming, I rush about fixing the warps and fenders when coming alongside. We are both I/C the boat when on watch with the other one sleeping.
I was just adding a bit of levity……….but even so unless things have changed men are more likely to bein charge whilst the wife/girlfriend is the deckhand🙂

Baddox

Visit site
I was just adding a bit of levity……….but even so unless things have changed men are more likely to bein charge whilst the wife/girlfriend is the deckhand🙂
Not on my wife's boat. She tells me where I want to go and when. :)

I usually do the heavy stuff whilst she takes the helm, or sits in shelter - a happy wife for an easy life.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I recall meeting a formidable lady on the IoW in 1974 I think who had sailed her engineless Folkboat solo from Australia with nothing more than a school atlas and a compass to guide her. She was something of a local celebrity at the time but moved on after a few days, presumably to the mainland but I never heard any more of her.