with the boat on it's mooring when ex ophilia arrives?

steve yates

Visit site
I am assuming that best practise is to get out to the boat on the floating mooring where she was left last week and be aboard during the arrival of the worst weather, to deal with any issues, or drop the anchor if the mooring breaks or drags? That's my plan, but it occured to me that I have no idea if that is normal or stupid :)?

what would you do?

(specifically not in a marina, in a shallow bay, sheltered from sw but the indent in the hills can funnel southerlies (fishguard, inner harbour)

Kelpie

Visit site
By all means get aboard and check everything, but get the hell out of there before the weather gets dangerous. You can buy another boat...

ANDY_W

Visit site
What I would do in your case would be to ensure that the boat is as secure as possible and then get off it !

Last I saw, the track of Ophelia was uncertain and could be more to the east. Since forecast winds could be 100 knots plus, if you were on the boat and anything went wrong it is unlikely that that you could do much to save the boat, or yourself, in those conditions.

At present, only your boat is at risk. Why add your life?

Regards,

Andy

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Get out there before the storm hits and remove sails, dodgers, sprayhood, life ring and outboard. Rig halyards to toe rail, or other deck strong points, to back-up the standing rigging.
Close all seacocks as hydraulic pressure created when the boat plunges could pump water into boat.
Check chafe protection on the mooring strop; back it up if you can (I couldn't).
Pour a small libation into the oggin to placate Poseidon.
Row ashore and drag your dinghy well above high water + anticipated storm surge.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm just going to have to cross my fingers, as I will be 300 miles away from the boat when the nasty stuff arrives. On the other hand, even thoough they are saying F9, the fetch will be around 100m at most and I'm directly in the lee of an island and a village, which should calm things down a bit. The mooring was serviced this year and the strop is by Godzilla out of The Beast.

To be honest, I'd rather have her on the mooring than in the marina where she will shortly be moving for the winter. No fenders to worry about, no boats downwind of me to worry about.

steve yates

Visit site
Bit late now but you could have gone in and tied up to the quay. You may have noticed that the inner harbour is now almost empty - that could give you a clue what is expected.
Not too sure about that, harbour doesn't look much different to when I left it on Thursday, and tied to the inner quay wall I think she could take a Real battering against it, tho obviously I am hardly speaking from experience.

It's all moot now anyway, I couldn't get here in time. By time I arrived it was already too windy to be rowing about in inflatables. Actually, one tied to the quay wall has just been flying like a kite about 6ft in the air!

She seems to be lying relatively quietly, and now it looks like as it builds from now to its peak around 4-6 it will bear more sw from s which she is in great shelter from. South tends to be funelled by the cleft in the hill the harbour lies in.
Also tides will be coming in, I was. Bit worried that a storm surge at its peak might mean a corresponding drop in depth, combined with the very low pressure, and she would actually start bouncing off the bottom. At lw there is probably only 2m under her keel.
All I can do now is cross my fingers and watch. I have a b&b for the night, if she survives unscathed, I should get away Wednesday. I don't want to be in this bay for next weekends northerly gales, that's for sure.

Vega1447

Visit site
Not too sure about that, harbour doesn't look much different to when I left it on Thursday, and tied to the inner quay wall I think she could take a Real battering against it, tho obviously I am hardly speaking from experience.

It's all moot now anyway, I couldn't get here in time. By time I arrived it was already too windy to be rowing about in inflatables. Actually, one tied to the quay wall has just been flying like a kite about 6ft in the air!

She seems to be lying relatively quietly, and now it looks like as it builds from now to its peak around 4-6 it will bear more sw from s which she is in great shelter from. South tends to be funelled by the cleft in the hill the harbour lies in.
Also tides will be coming in, I was. Bit worried that a storm surge at its peak might mean a corresponding drop in depth, combined with the very low pressure, and she would actually start bouncing off the bottom. At lw there is probably only 2m under her keel.
All I can do now is cross my fingers and watch. I have a b&b for the night, if she survives unscathed, I should get away Wednesday. I don't want to be in this bay for next weekends northerly gales, that's for sure.

Don't mean to be argumentative but won't low pressure raise sea levels?

Good luck in any case.