with the boat on it's mooring when ex ophilia arrives?

Fossil

Visit site
Some very good advice so far. Possibly a bit redundant now, but I'd not counsel anyone to go and tie up to any solid structure in a high-wind situation. One of the worst experiences in my boating life was being tied to a small quay, broadside on to a F8 gusting 9. Although there was only a short fetch of about 200 metres, this was sufficient to whip up a number of not very large waves, which would have been OK, but for the reflection of the waves off the solid quay, which more than doubled some of the crests and slammed the boat hard against the quay to the point of popping fenders and starting to cause damage, not to mention being seriously uncomfortable on board. We got off eventually and dropped the hook out in the middle of the small harbour (which held, thank goodness) and rode out the rest in comparative comfort. In the OP's circumstances, I think I would have done just the same.

macd

Visit site
I’d imagine it would be marginal. Most surges are caused by the water being pushed inland by the wind and tide, rather than by inherent air pressure.
Hope you all weathered it ok.

A pressure of 900hPa* would raise general sea level by about a metre. But oddly, Ophelia isn't a particularly low low, so the direct effect would be expected to be slight. (She's somewhere around Cromarty now, so it's a bit academic.)

* very rare: the lowest ever recorded is 870 in a Pacific Typhoon. Lowest in UK 925hPa.

Hope all's well, Steve.

Last edited:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Shes absolutely fine, rode it out like a lady.
One fender lost, thats it. Didnt even lose the sail covers.
Back aboard now.

Great! Sundance is in her cradle but with the mast up you get vibration from the mast, for some silly reason I get nervous when there's a blow and she's on the hard. Much more prefer it when she's in the water on her mooring.