Wireless Remote for Anchor Winch. Delay???

earlybird

Visit site
Hi
Can some one give an insight of their practical experience of this item -

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2054752/champion-wireless-winch-remote-control-12-volt

in particular is there a delay in response time after releasing the button on the remote, resulting in an overrun of the winch ?

Thanks
Dave

I fitted a similar ebay item a couple of seasons ago, and its still working, fingers crossed !!
There is a very short delay, rather less than a second I'd say, and of no real significance, ie a few inches of chain travel.
Be aware that the hand-held control seems a bit cheap and nasty, I wouldn't expect it to survive much in the way of a dousing.

SHUG

Visit site
I had a wireless control with a Lofrans winch. Excellent and no delay but you had to remember to change the battery in the control unit each year otherwise it could fail......suddenly!!

marklucas

Visit site
Doubt it's the radio link

Very little, I don't find it a problem and you will soon get used to it. Small delay is only due to the time it takes for the radio signal to activate the relay. Maybe 5 or 6 chain links travel time.

The lag will not be due to the radio link any delay there will be measured in fractions of a nanosecond, but the speed with which the solenoid / relay acts and the inertia of the whole assembly (motor, winch and chain).

So use it a few times and factor this into your decision making when using the remote - simples.

emandvee44

Visit site
Windlass radio remote

I had an original Lofrans radio remote installed, which was suprisingly inexpensive. Has worked very well for 2 years (must change the battery in the remote - thanks for the heads up on that).
I have not noticed any delay, but of course the windlass rotates relatively fast anyway and therefore you have to get used to taking your finger off the button a second or so before the anchor comes home.
If you are controlling it from the cockpit then probably you will hear a bang before you take your finger off!

Michael.

concentrik

Visit site
The lag will not be due to the radio link any delay there will be measured in fractions of a nanosecond, but the speed with which the solenoid / relay acts and the inertia of the whole assembly (motor, winch and chain).

So use it a few times and factor this into your decision making when using the remote - simples.

Mine came from 'Winch-it" in Ringwood, Hants as a complete kit. It too has a short delay, which doesn't seem to be a problem. It's caused by the receiver module rather than the contactor, which though not instantaneous is very snappy. I expect the receiver incorporates a timing element to prevent 'chatter' and that this could be modified to provide a sharper response - but I think I'll leave it as it is.

I will be putting the spare controller somewhere dry and safe along with spare batteries. I'm also going to provide a 3-pole connector paralleled to the contactor input side so that I can connect a hand controller for use if the remote fails.

One further point - I made the mistake of checking the contactor with my usual digital meter and was surprised to see contact resistances of between 100R and 200R - something wrong, shurely...?? Well no, it seems the contacts require a significant current to 'bite' which my DMM wasn't providing. When used with the winch it works fine.

Last edited:

Dave100456

Visit site
Thank you to all those who replied. As usual, the forum continues to be a good source of first hand experiences.
I am not planning to use the remote for an anchor windlass and for my application the delay is more critical a factor.
Cheers
Dave

concentrik

Visit site
I am not planning to use the remote for an anchor windlass and for my application the delay is more critical a factor.
Cheers
Dave

Slightly baffled, Dave, since your OP was titled "Wireless Remote for Anchor Winch. Delay??? but as usual the responses will add to the sum of knowledge (opinion) available for future questioners!

Dave100456

Visit site
Slightly baffled, Dave, since your OP was titled "Wireless Remote for Anchor Winch. Delay??? but as usual the responses will add to the sum of knowledge (opinion) available for future questioners!

The title "Remote for anchor winch delay" was to identify to existing owners/users the particular remote control unit that I was interested in as it's most frequently employed for anchor wiondlass control.
However, I'm planning to use the remote, to control an electic motor with similar characteristics to a winch motor that will be linked to the mainsail. My intended use is for furling the main and as such I do not want a long "run-on" as this could cause damage to the sail, etc. The intention is to have remote control of the 'incomming' sail from any position on the boat but especially where I can control the clew outhaul when single handed.
No doubt I'll receive the full range of 'advice' now the 'secret' is out! Seriously if anyone has designed a homemade electric furler I'd be grateful for info., especially on 'current sensing' to prevent too much torque being applied to the system - my expertise is mechanical rather than electronic engineering.
Cheers
Dave