Winterizing

Yealm

Visit site
What to people recommend to do with the halyards etc over Winter (boat on the hard).

Remove and replace with mousing lines, to stop chafing at the masthead over Winter? (but risk the mousing lines chafing through and needing a trip up the mast)

Or leave in place and remove briefly before the season starts to wash them?

Many thanks :)

PhillM

Visit site
Take care that your mousing lines aren’t too thin that if they should jump off the sheave they get stuck between sheeve and mast.

Good advice. Been there ….. I have an old set of lines I re-run for the winter. Although not every winter due to home/work commitments. And tbh over ten + years it’s not made that much of a difference to the life of the lines and the total cost of replacement isn’t that high. So not one to sweat over, just do what you can in the time available.

oldbloke

Visit site
I shackle an old rope to the business end, haul it up the mast then unthread the other end from the pulleys, clutches etc, and bag it. All neat and tidy and out of the way and much less risk of losing oritjumpingoff the sheave

boomerangben

Visit site
I don’t know where you are, but after the named storms we’ve had so far this winter, if I were you, I would be taking my mast down. And take the opportunity to remove running rigging for an inspection