Winterizing question

Manic76

Visit site
Evening all,

Keen to garner option on whether it is better to change fuel filters before or after winter, or whether it makes bugger all difference?

superheat6k

Visit site
For oil filters and oil change better to do this at the end of the season so any acidic or other contaminants are removed. With fuel filters the start of the season, so any settlement over Winter is removed before the boat is used again. (IMHO).

johnalison

Visit site
I dare say you are right but my filters get changed in the autumn and we don't seem to have come to any harm.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Evening all,

Keen to garner option on whether it is better to change fuel filters before or after winter, or whether it makes bugger all difference?

I change my fuel filters when they need changing ... which so far has been every 5 years for the primary filter and every 10 for the secondary, so it's certainly not going to make any difference at all whether they are changed before or after winter. :)

Richard

Poey50

Visit site
I change my fuel filters when they need changing ... which so far has been every 5 years for the primary filter and every 10 for the secondary, so it's certainly not going to make any difference at all whether they are changed before or after winter. :)

Richard

I know when to change the primary filter from the vacuum gauge between primary and secondary filter but how do you know when to change the secondary filter? Is it when you get some deterioration of performance even though you know the primary filter is good?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I know when to change the primary filter from the vacuum gauge between primary and secondary filter but how do you know when to change the secondary filter? Is it when you get some deterioration of performance even though you know the primary filter is good?

I just look at them and if they looks clean-ish rather than black-ish then it's fine and they go back. Having said that, I'm using 10 micron primary filters and fuel biocide and hence the extended life of the secondary filters so once they're out after 5 years or so they might as well be changed.

Richard

Poey50

Visit site
I just look at them and if they looks clean-ish rather than black-ish then it's fine and they go back. Having said that, I'm using 10 micron primary filters and fuel biocide and hence the extended life of the secondary filters so once they're out after 5 years or so they might as well be changed.

Richard

OK thanks.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

I change mine according to the manufacturer's schedule, which says nothing about winter. Can't see why it would make any difference.