Winterising your anchor chain and line.

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
For the last 9 years I've copied most other folks out here in Greece at the end of the season laying out my anchor chain and line on a pallet to get washed by the winter rain, without question.
This year we are only out for 2 months so 10 months in the yard.

What are the merits and demerits of leaving our anchors, chain and rope exposed like this?

Pete

prv

Visit site
I can't see it doing the anchor and chain any harm. I wouldn't lay synthetic line out in the sun like that though.

Pete

sailorman

Visit site
For the last 9 years I've copied most other folks out here in Greece at the end of the season laying out my anchor chain and line on a pallet to get washed by the winter rain, without question.
This year we are only out for 2 months so 10 months in the yard.

What are the merits and demerits of leaving our anchors, chain and rope exposed like this?

Pete

originally to remove the weight out of the bows when laid-up particularly in wooden boats

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I find that leaving the chain in its locker all winter means that it is pretty much constantly wet. 'White rust' then develops at the points of contact, which is consuming some zinc. Leaving it outside in the weather means that it does tend to dry out for at least part of the time. It would be even better if the chain was stowed somewhere completely dry, perhaps under the boat. I hang mine on a rope tied between the cradle uprights.