Wintering a boat in Norway

Viking

Visit site
Hi as hans reports many Norwegian sailors see the basic unfairness that these rules impose on visiting boats. Why should not EU rules apply? after all Norway is an associate member of the EU. But like ALL goverments they 'cherry-pick' the rules (manly tax rules) that benefits the goverment, NOT the people!!!
But only as last week a strong letter of support from our local business community was sent (to customs and our local MP) with a letter from UK's R.C.C and myself, pointing out, both the unfairness and the commerical advantages that a more 'common' European appoach to tourist would bring. I pointed out that motorhomes and caravans could be left here without the same 'problems'.
Be assured that we are keeping up the pressure!

Last edited:

Woodlouse

Visit site
I believe the Norwegians are kicking up quite a fuss about this and already questions have been asked in Parliament on the matter. I think it's likely that the rules will change soon enough, but in the mean time we just have to ensure everyone is aware of what's going on.

Just for the record I don't think this situation has come about through a change of policy, but simply customs now enforcing rules that previously they were likely to turn a blind eye to.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
I believe the Norwegians are kicking up quite a fuss about this and already questions have been asked in Parliament on the matter. I think it's likely that the rules will change soon enough, but in the mean time we just have to ensure everyone is aware of what's going on.

Just for the record I don't think this situation has come about through a change of policy, but simply customs now enforcing rules that previously they were likely to turn a blind eye to.

That is roughly right although as recently as last autumn there were some encouraging signs that the customs were about to relax the laws on this, according to the Norwegian Cruisng Guide.

I agree that this is all very disappointing and I hope that Frank (Viking) and his chums can overturn this nonsense.

We overwintered five years ago, as did many others, with no fuss. It would be a shame if the same opportunity could no longer be afforded to others.

jpcarter30

Visit site
Spent a fine Christmas in your good country. Was up at Tromso and took one of the Hurtigurti boats around the coast. That was some serious wind and rough water. Haven't experienced cold like that in a long time.
Snowed like buggery on New Years day when we left. Anyhow, back to the thread...

Other threads that may be of interest