Wintering a boat in Norway – Customs Agent and large deposit required

hans

Visit site
I am sad to report that all Norwegian Customs regions from February 2011 implement new, strict regulations on foreign yachts wintering in Norway. These regulations permit a foreign boat left behind for more than 6 weeks only if prior arrangement is made through an approved Customs Agent. We are told Agents will do a risk assessment of each assignment. In all cases we are aware of the Agent has asked 25% of the boats’ value as deposit while the boat is in Norway. An additional, smaller deposit has been asked depending on boats’ engine size and refrigeration capacity. There will also be a handling fee to the Agent.

I would strongly discourage leaving a boat behind for more than 6 weeks without agreement with a Customs Agent. Boats from Britain, France and Sweden have recently had to pay Norwegian VAT after winter lay-up. Fines (Norwegian VAT) in excess of £ 20 000 have been issued and boats have been held back until payment has been made. The VAT is not refundable when the boat leaves Norway.

Background for the legislation seems to be that boats are placed together with cars and planes in a group coined “modes of transport”. A sad sign of an urban bureaucracy with little interest in things maritime. I am not aware of similar legislation in any other nation with which Norway likes to be compared. It has been questioned whether the legislation in keeping with Norway's obligations through the EEA treaty (www.eftasurv.int).

Enquiries should be made to tad@toll.no (Norwegian Customs and Excise head office)
postmottak@fin.dep.no (Norwegian Ministry of Finance)

References:
Part of the regulations are available in English at www.toll.no , follow links to languages- legislation –“ Regulations to the Act on Customs Duties and Movement of Goods”, scroll down to § 6-1-30 “Vessels and aircraft for personal use”.

For full text of § 6.1 in Norwegian see www.toll.no, follow links to Innførsel, then Fritidsbåt (Lystfartøy) , then “Tollfritak ved midlertidig innførsel av fritidsbåt og privatfly”. Follow link in text for § 6.3.

dovekie

Visit site
Thank you Hans,
Norway has - to my mind - the best crusing coastline in Europe. They seem to be doing their best to forego the income from foreign cruisers. But then again, perhaps they are deliberately keeping it for themselves.